Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 2:54PM EgoPoisoning said

@hjparcins

What's fascinating about this perspective is it's completely oblivious to its inverse, which means it rather misses the poinot. You say you don't think anyone would boycott the game for lacking same-sex relationships...but do you think you'd boycott it if the game ONLY included same-sex relationships? Because, if you're only interested in same sex-relationships, their complete absence has the same heavy-handed judgment of how you spend your leisure time. And there are obviously gay and bisexual gamers...one of my friends from college went to PAX East on the dime of a company that focuses on the gay gamer perspective, so they clearly represent a buying force as well.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:31AM macallen said

Yeah, I know, I'm a freak that will be voted off the island.

My kids read rants like this and are baffled by them. Granted I am much a "watch this *&^%" parent as a "loving and caring one". My kids will try to do something, in a game or otherwise, and as long as it won't kill them, I'll let them do it just so they can learn....no better way to learn than first hand experience, I always say :) Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever :)

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:34AM Platypus Man said

As a parent -- with a similar philosophy -- I say, "Good on ya!"

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:31AM elocke said

• 1 heart
I just don't think any type of "sex" needs to be included in a Star Wars game. It's not needed to develop a story and besides, I play video games to get away from the crap of Real life Hot Button topics not to be inundated with them over and over. It's called escapism for a reason. Leave it in the Real World and let me have my entertainment, please.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:39AM (Unverified) said

Do you know what's really crazy? Bioware has never included ANY romance in their games that was mandatory. That means that if you don't want such things in your game, you don't have to pursue them.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:41AM Morioch said

• Half a heart
Lighten up - I was joking.

By the way, tolerance usually means being tolerant of dissenting viewpoints. I know that the PC crowd thinks that it means agreeing with them.

It's ironic how the tolerant and diverse crowd is only tolerant of diversity that they think is acceptable.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:52AM (Unverified) said

My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously either. I can see how what I said could be taken in more than one way though. For the record, I wasn't saying less intolerant than you. I was saying less intolerant, in general.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 9:08PM sandwiches said

@Morioch
Your statements are as ridiculous as saying that it's bad to be good at something because that means you have to suck at being bad.

Sorry but discrimination based on nonharmful conditions such as homosexuality, race, etc should NOT be tolerated. So you also think we should tolerate rapists, killers, etc?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:44AM (Unverified) said

I think kids are a lot more tolerant of gays then their parents are. If I were anti-gay and my kid was playing TOR, I think I would be happy that my kid was 'experimenting' with virtual people rather then real people.

Anti-Gay Relationship People: Games, even gay game keep kids off the street looking for sex! :P

But seriously, great article. I think that Bioware should let let you do what ever. If they make it so you can't romance gays, will the next step be no inter-species? There was this MASSIVE debate about inter-species relationships in Star Wars Fan fic at theforce.net's fan fiction forums a few years back. Some people just felt it was wrong to have two characters who were different come together. These days SW Cannon is filled with inter-species, so I think Bioware should just go for it.

The easiest way to miss out on the gayness is to just have your companion be a different gender then you, right?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:04PM Ocho said

I think that if you're including things like violence, drinking, etc. that you should be able to include romance as well. And if they're worried about their kid seeing romantic encounters, then ummm... souldn't they be more worried about their kids seeing their avatar go around shooting people with guns? That, to me, is the real mature content to be pinpointing when it comes to kids, not romance.

Its an adult game and I don't think Bioware should alter its course. We're adults, and should act like it. We don't like something, we don't choose to do it. And if we Really don't like something, then we don't put our money towards it.

I personally have nothing against homosexuality. Its not something that I am into, but that doesn't make it wrong or offensive. Like gardening... not something I'm into, but I'm not going to flame gardeners because I don't do what they do. And really, Bioware should include it... it would make for a much more mature player base as all the immature people would either be on their soapbox or have mommy and daddy prevent them from playing it.

But if they're going to alter it, I say alter it completely one way or another. Either include romance, and all of its choices, or remove romance completely. Like make an option to just not include that content, like a chat filter. Don't just remove part of the romance that some people have issues with... that would be against the whole gay rights movement, as it would once more classify them as inequal.

I'm amazed that in our society there is still inequality, be it gender based, race based, or sexual preference based. I always thought that when the declaration of independence states "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" that it refers to all people, not just the majority. I applaud Bioware for doing the moral thing and respecting that.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:00PM (Unverified) said

The problem with this argument is that people actually think that you can experience a process of "transformation" from a heterosexual person to a homosexual person, so here is a fact for you:you cant become homosexual person you are born as a homosexual person.
and don't argue about that, it has been proven by science.

Sorry for the bad English, I'm not a native speaker but I really wanted to say that.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:08PM Seraphina Brennan said

I can certainly agree with you on that. I wanted to say something along those lines, but I did not believe that my column was the place to say something like that.

I've shown these types of female tendencies since I was extremely young, well before I truly understood anything about romance or gender or anything like that. It's certainly not something that I was "taught" or "converted into." It's just who I am.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:16PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Has it been proved by science? Source?

Even if it has, science says a lot of people are born with an inclination to alcoholism or addicted to drugs their mother took while they were in the womb. Does that make alcoholism or drugs okay for them?

People might have internal desires that betray their physical anatomy. It takes A LOT of unnatural medical procedures to change the physical anatomy to fit those desires -- and throughout their entire life if they want to maintain the illusion.

Sometimes you have to give up a lot and persevere to accept being the person you were born. A lot of people would rather be a person other than who they are -- due to many reasons they may have been born with. In video games, it's very easy to be a different person -- most times you have no idea the real person behind the avatar. Real life is a different matter.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 3:32PM RogueJedi86 said

@nowai

Proof that being gay is genetic? Look at gay animals. There are animals that will only go after their own sex. You sure can't train a wild animal to only have "relations" with the same sex. If I recall, I heard the gay gene in males, when expressed in females, makes them tend towards promiscuity, as a balancing act. Gay people don't have their own kids, so they would raise the kids of the community that the promiscuous female wouldn't be taking care of. It's a genetic balancing act. And sorry for offending either side, I'm for gay rights and I think there should be a gay option in TOR too. Being gay shouldn't be a big deal, and it's bad that it's so often ignored or misrepresented in the media.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Oh and great article Seraphina , one of your best!

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:46PM Nibbana said

People should have the opportunity to form whatever type of romance they want in SWTOR or other games. If I don't want people to limit my life, why am I going to limit theirs?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:07PM Harley Dude said

Why use a screen shot from KotOR2, which wasn't even made by Bioware?

Anyway, put a checkbox in game options for enable/disable same sex romance, or any romance for that matter, so parents that don't want minors to be exposed to it can have that control. Problem solved and everyone is happy except for busybodies that want to force their views on others.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:09PM Seraphina Brennan said

I wanted to pick a nice screenshot... so I picked a nice screenshot... Was trying for something in SWTOR, but I could only really find the one.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:27PM Cendres said

Obsidian employs ex BioWare people, or was even formed by ex BioWare people or something like that.... So while technically no KOTOR 2 and NWN2 are not BioWare games, they are not that far... Same roots. I tend to clump together.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2010 12:13PM Marked said

Same sex relationships don't belong in the Star Wars universe? If that's someone's argument, then I demand the right for my character to express their droid fetish!