Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:13AM Minofan said

WAR did tempt me to buy their first novel, but - much like the game - I didn't stick with it.
^_^

I shall definitely be buying the Guild Wars 2 novel when it's available, and even if that turns out to be no better I imagine I'll still scour every page for Guild Wars-y goodness.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:31AM Critical Mass said

Have MMOs prompted you to read books?
No. Well, the tech/lore articles for Eve online was interesting.

I remember reading several Star Wars books years ago, but that was a long time ago. Before the dark times. Before the theme park MMO's.

I hope MMO game devs aren't thinking that their games as such will be improved if there is some novel written for it. :)

Might very well be suitable for an existing, and a good MMO I think.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

I heard good things about Warhammer novels but haven't read one. I picked up a wow novel once and read it for about 20 minutes. It was awful.

On the other hand, reading Tolkien only made the mmo a hundred times more immersive and enjoyable. I read them well before the game was even created, and it's fair to say Turbine's interpretation of Middle Earth is probably the most beautifully accurate of any incarnation out there.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:33AM dudes said

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:42AM elocke said

Not that I need prompting to read anything, however, I do occasionally read novel tie ins to certain games. Star Wars. Eve. Warcraft. Even as far back as Alpha Centauri. I've tried some others, like Warhammer, but I found those books horribly written. I'm itching to get the new Eve book. I'm also about to read Arthas once I finish this omnibus called Orcs.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:45AM (Unverified) said

Mostly no, though there was that Catcher in the Rye MMO...

MAN was that kick-ass!

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:50AM Dezyne said

Really, I found the respawn rate on the level 9 Phonies to be a little too high.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:55AM (Unverified) said

You clearly didn't spec into the Curmudgeonly Delinquent tree.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:52AM Jesse A said

I actually did read the first LOTR novel thanks to LOTRO.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 10:59AM (Unverified) said

Still reading. That man is hard work indeed :p

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:53AM Aganazer said

Fallen Earth inspired me to read Gemmell's Jon Shannow books. Unfortunately the game is better than the books.

Now if only there were a game based on George RR Martin's or Steven Erikson's books...

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:05AM Tanek said

I would love to see an MMO based on George R.R. Martin's books. It would be torture waiting 6 years between expansions, though. ;)

I have not done much MMO-inspired reading yet, but I am looking forward to the Ghosts of Ascalon novel this summer.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:00AM Vitamin Dei said

The Eve Online novel has been sitting on my nightstand for six or seven months now. I occasionally pick it up and nibble around the edges a bit before going to sleep, but I've found that generally speaking licensed fiction is kind of... well, bad. That doesn't stop me from conveniently forgetting this and occasionally walking out of B&N with a novel based on some sci-fi/fantasy property that I'm completely geeked on, though. It just means I rarely finish up with them.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 1:11PM SgtBaker said

Yeah, I started the EVE novel as well ... but put it away since it was - well, quite bad. Have been meaning to force my way through it ever since - as I'm interested in the story - but I'm afraid it's ended up being a night table paperweight.

I bought the second novel as well just to show support.. not sure I'll ever read it though.

Licensed fiction has never been my favorite thing to read.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:16AM Scott Ossington said

They made Lord of the Rings into a book?

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 12:15PM Ninevah said

Yes, and they have the Internet on computers now!

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:38AM Wieland said

The novel trilogy "The Technocrat War" for the never released UO2.

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:55AM (Unverified) said

Yes i have picked up reading Novels based on the Warcraft Universe, recently finishing Stormrage, i personaly like how it makes me go back too the game more Enthuesd. :)

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 9:59AM (Unverified) said

Actually for me its the other way round. I have been reading novels since I was about 10 and writing them since my late 20s. MMOs are just interactive fiction which is entertaining or at least tries to be.

I have found most "MMO/game" inspired novels are awful.