Posted: Mar 31st 2010 1:19PM Mr Angry said

It's great that these two dropped by to try and explain to their investors what they actually do with their time.

Anyway, until Bill Roper can prove that they take quality issues seriously, then I don't think we need these Cryptic executive 'exclusives'. As of late Cryptic games are two dimensional at best and are not quality products, I get the feeling someone is talking out of both sides of his mouth as well as any other orifice he can muster...

Guys, a word of advice, how about you let your games do the talking then once you have something that offers something compelling, then feel free to share? How many times have you prioritized your own mutterings over what is actually good for your games, how many press releases have I read that talk about the management as individuals rather than the games you produce?

The sad truth of the matter is that I actually know more about the management of Cryptic studios than what their games offer at end game, or what the future plans are, or what podcasts are out there which support these games, or what deals there are on the software right now, and that's what needs work to sell more product, not insight as to what job title you have picked this week.

One lesson you can learn from Blizzard, is.... the game comes first\, always.

You aren't going to win any popularity contents Bill or Jack, so stop trying to. Step back, work on the games then if they manage to recover from awful launches, then engage with the community you have built, rather than alienated.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 1:24PM Mr Angry said

Just to add to this rant....

I don't doubt there are talented people at Cryptic, and if you work there and read this, please don't think I also dislike the work you do or that everything you do is horrible. I know your products have great potential, you have two super IP's which can go places.

However you have Laurel and Hardy at the helm steering the ship, and without better leadership, your hard work will never be fully appreciated or allowed to reach it's potential.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 1:52PM (Unverified) said

Mr Angry has said everything and anything I was going to say, so thank you for that =)

On a side note; the questions, and indeed the answers, were about as 'pc-middle-of-the-road' as one could possibly get.

How surprising (not).

I love you Massively, you know I do. But one day your balls have to drop.
Seriously.
Are you *ever* going to ask the questions we all want asked?
Are you ever going to grow up as an editorial content provider?
Are you ever going to put your nads on the line and do a bit of provocative poking around?

These questions were softer than a snowflake landing on Snow White's skin. It was almost as if the entire thing was just a huge PR exercise in tandem with Cryptic to provide some free publicity.

We're no better off for reading it - in fact we're worse because we have the schmaltzy panderings of two industry dirtbags filling our heads.

Bah.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 1:56PM Thac0 said

Shes right; just so you know Massively. I'd like actual reporting on games and not just advertising of them.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:04PM (Unverified) said

@Amana

"Absolutely nothing about this entire article was provoking, interesting, illuminating or informative."

Hell, I'd settle for something in there that were new.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:20PM Seraphina Brennan said

Hey guys,

I just wanted to drop by to say that we did ask Bill and Jack more questions about the state of the company, Champions, STO, and other more "hard-hitting questions."

However, Jack and Bill have declined to comment on those questions. No response at all. Because of that, we've cut those questions from the interview.

We really do ask these questions guys. We really are there with you. It's just we don't always get responses. Sometimes we actually lose entire articles simply because the responses we get just aren't worth writing an article. There's always more work going on behind the scenes that you guys don't get to see. :)

Anyway, we're sorry these questions may not resonate with you, and the questions you may have wanted to see weren't answered. We will certainly try to improve this in the future.

~Sera

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:37PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for taking the time to reply here, Sera.
It's greatly appreciated.

You know, I was wondering if that (unanswered/no comment) questions) was the case.

May I suggest in the future that the writer perhaps still publish those questions, including a 'no comment' or 'no comment received' answer?

Or if it's not appropriate to still include the actual questions that were unanswered, to instead include a byline that states not all questions were able to be answered by the interviewee?

We can then put 2&2 together and assume that the more 'probing' or topical ones were deliberately left alone..

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:49PM Mr Angry said

Sera, I think it might be useful to see what questions Cryptic didn't see fit to respond to. Would you mind posting them, as it gives us insight as to what items are not deemed important?

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:50PM Renko said

Sera

I'd suggest you rethink your policy of cutting questions you don't get answers to. Questions that don't get answered would probably provide much more insight then powder puff answers.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 3:39PM Thac0 said

Sera,

I agree with the rest of these guys. having the questions included with a "declined to make comment" would be great. It would show what these guys are afraid to talk about and perhaps make them more likely to answer them in the future.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 4:33PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for replying Sera, and I'm with these guys - I'd really like to see the questions that got a "no comment" answer.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 5:23PM Itanius said

I'm not a Cryptic fanboi or Cryptic hater, but I feel the need to pose a concern:

Why does Cryptic seem to get more attention than any other developer here at Massively? Is it the "flavor of the year"? Is it for the dramatic reader reaction to every article?

Where are the interviews of CCP developers? ArenaNet? SOE? I'd like to see equal coverage to all of the MMO developers, major or minor.

Whatever backlash you get from your readers about your lopsided coverage is something you've gone out of your way to earn. And, as a very big fan and promoter of this site, the balance must be incredibly asymmetric for me to step in and make a comment like this.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 8:59PM Scarecrowe said

I think if they ask the questions we *really* want them to ask... they will stop being granted interviews. Of course, I'd begin to have more respect for them and consider them actual journalists. Until then, they're just fans with a blog in my eyes. ;)

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:03PM (Unverified) said

Say one thing, do the other.

Next interview, please ask at the end, "Are you guys completely deluded by your own rhetoric or are you just full of shit?"

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:14PM Samael said

you think that Massively will say anything bad against Cryptic? Specially since this little thread on the forums?

Look at the post by Auspicious, he is most likely Patrick, the guy who writes behind the mask. Look at how he is apologizing.

So yeah to expect them to write something fairly and balanced is a far cry when it comes to Cryptic.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 2:49PM misterorff said

Yeah sorry bud, Sera herself has had many a words to say about Champions and Cryptic:

Have fun with that tinfoil hat though. I am sure it looks good on you.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 3:01PM Samael said

And if you look at the comments there you will see that I acknowledged that. Your point?

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 3:04PM (Unverified) said

To quote the always prolific Birdman of Cash Money Records, "A mouth is like an asshole, anything can come out of it."

I don't care what Roper and his cronies SAY about their game, hell he can SAY anything he wants about how much he cares about the quality and player experience. He can tout about how much he listens to the community and all that, till his little heart is content.

Fact is, for anyone to see that him and the entire Cryptic staff is full of shit and will basically say what ever they want to us in order to make money off their games, all one would have to do is logg into one of their crappy and subpar games and play for their self.

Actions speak where words run weak, and unfortunate for Cryptic, they do a whole lot of talking but don't really back it up. If they did, their games wouldn't be in the sorry state that they are. A game company is the one who starts the hype surrounding their game, it is the company's job to promote their product and sell us on the virtues of it. It is also the company's fault if the game does not live up to the hype and flops like a fish out of water upon launch.

Cryptic has released two games they have touted as Diamonds, yet through the storm, the shiny paint washed off and exposed the turds they really threw out at us.

cryptic needs to /quitgamedevelopment

Also, I do love you massively, but we all know that any reputable journalist will provide the questions that the interviewee refused to answer along with the ones they did answer. You never see Mike Wallace or Barbara Walters cut out the unanswered questions from their televised celeb interviews.

After all isnt the intention of any new site to provide an objective and unbiased view of what they are presenting? Though I don't believe it was your intention, and this is indicated to me because Seraphina clarified it, when you withhold things like that from your articles, it does tend to throw credit towards the folks that read this site and accuse you of Cryptic Fanboydom. just some food for thought for you to consider in the future.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 8:21PM (Unverified) said

When has cryptic ever "Touted there games as diamonds"????
I followed the Champions website for months before beta, and not once did they promise anything they didn't end up delivering . Yeah, Harv, I bet it's really easy for you to flame CO if you make up stupid lies about Cryptic promising CO to be the best game ever. Sorry state? You mean new content, major fixes to the powersets that need the most work, and the implementation of monthly content additions? Oh, yeah, real sorry. Honestly, the customization CO has in terms of character appearance and abilities, CO makes most other MMOS seem like turds themselves. How can anyone stand playing as a character with same appearance and gameplay as everyone else? Is that even an MMO?

The guys at the CO forums are right. Most MMO websites want to see MMOs reach their full potential and suceed, all the assholes at Massively just want to flame companies and see them fail.

Posted: Mar 31st 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

I appreciate Massively throwing this clay pigeon up there for us to take shots at. Not that I speak for the majority of players, but I think we safely say a few thing:

1. We are tired of the same old "I work on important stuff" and "everything you want is coming soon!" from Roper. (by the way, thank you Mr. Angry, I couldn't agree more)

2. We read Massively not just for the news, but for the opinions of people closer to the industry than we are.

If these two at Cryptic declined to comment on some questions, then please tell us. It not only gives us a true view of the people you are interviewing, but it validates your interview. God knows we can't seem to get through to these two on the forums, so maybe putting them out there to the whole MMO community will embarrass them enough to be honest with us.

This is no way meant to insult Kyle's writing. He did a great job. But we've heard this same interview everytime from Roper. How about Kyle puts his opinion of what they just said. THAT would be news.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly