Posted: Mar 29th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

Interesting stuff, reminds me of referees in sports, everyone loves to hate them, but so necessary, what they get right often goes un-noticed, and what they do wrong is apocalyptic.

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 6:05PM Ayenn said

I am an absolute glutton for punishment! I say this because CM for an MMORPG company is one of my dream jobs. It's not about the fame, fortune and glory for me. It is all about the community, the company, and the game in equal weight. I have actually taken the huge risk of dropping out of the working world and into a masters program where in I am looking at New Media, technical rhetoric, and narrative design in hope of attaining this position or related positions with the carrer ending goal of teaching what I learn at university.

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 6:17PM (Unverified) said

"We keep our fingers in a lot of pies."

I've never seen it stated so well. This is the essential truth of our lives.

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 6:45PM FOI said

Are there generally more women in the CM position than men?

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 6:52PM niakori said

Was thinking the same thing. The majority of CMs I've talked to were female, I guess because its such a social gig?

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 11:10PM (Unverified) said

This question got asked at the panel, actually. Of the companies represented at the panel, they all said their teams were mostly 50/50 (which is a high ratio for the game industry in general).

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 8:13PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Primary CM failures.

They do not understand multiple languages or the nuances of them to include the slang. Typed presentation and oral presentation are two totally different animals and each can be taken out of context when weighed against the other.
They do not know the game in depth.
They do not know the schedule or plans of the devs.
They do not stay up to date with team leaders.
They do not take their position seriously.
They do not communicate facts effectively.
They do not understand being smart verse having common sense.
They do not use the iron fist when needed as the >majority< are softskinned. (my observation)
They think they can be friends with the community, they cannot, its counter productive. They have a job to perform, the community needs to be vannila to them. It is when people become friends in a business that problems begin. Yes, MMO's are a business.

I could list more but you get the point. Restrictions only add to a CM being worthless and ending up a piece of meat for a rabid community, whatever the game. A CM needs to be properly trained in language, the project, and the ability to "handle" situations quickly before they get out of hand.

A couple years ago i had a person tell me to my face it wasnt good to let the community know every little detail of what goes on, and daily or weekly updates are never needed. After i dressed down this expert (and they will remember me) i explained what positives communication can do to a project or game and the customer, no matter how small. When folks stare at you with open mouths in wonder, two things will have happened, they finally got "it" or had no reponse to counter what was said, either way at least they started thinking.

Anyone can sit on a panel to talk or pass judgement, its the knowledgeable person under pressure performing their task that makes the difference.

Posted: Mar 30th 2010 11:37AM (Unverified) said

leverage contacts, eh? Not even hiding the fact that they're exploiting them for gain. I can't wait to graduate, and leverage my friends for jobs. :p
(sorry)

Anyways...that's fascinating that there are so many women. I mean, what is this saying about them? Are they unwilling to break the stereotypes of women being primarily social creatures, with few other skill sets? It just seems oddly sexist that community manager is their high point of entry in the industry.

/controversial

Posted: Mar 30th 2010 12:31PM (Unverified) said

Graill, many (most, actually) of your points were covered at the panel, but as it was not an in-depth look at CM, just an overview, we couldn't cover everything in the 40 minutes we had (including Q&A) and only touched on them. However, they were mentioned.

-Meghan