Posted: Mar 28th 2010 12:20PM J Brad Hicks said

I beg to disagree, based on my own experience as well as what other people tell me. You are absolutely right that storyline is an important part of any MMO, but storyline is one of the places on which EVE Online totally falls down. It's not that there isn't an interesting story there; as you say, there is. But it's also /totally irrelevant/ to the overwhelming majority of the players, because it has exactly zero effect on their gameplay, on their lives in the game. In the storyline, the Amarr are totalitarian, racist, religious-dogmatist slave-holders. To the players, the Amarr are the vendors who sell the armor-tanking beam-weapon ships, period, and the only politics that matters to them is the politics of clique-vs-clique warfare outside the reach of any of the NPC factions.

I never thought I'd have anything good to say about GoonSquad, but I will say this for them: they at least tried to put an in-character gloss on their actions in New Eden, one at least somewhat vaguely related to the NPC storyline. That made them, so far as I could tell, completely unique among the major player character factions of EVE Online, who could neither tell the difference between a Gallente radical democrat and a Caldari corporate feudalist, nor care.

Posted: Mar 28th 2010 1:59PM (Unverified) said

And the opportunity is there, too. Hopefully, as the game continues to grow, CCP will give the awesome story of the EVE universe a bit more dominance. Missions and objectives taking place within solar systems (and eventually space stations) that more immerse players in the game's lore.

Posted: Mar 28th 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

That's one of the things that I find interesting about Eve though. Just like in real life you don't have to fall in lock-step with the dominant culture of your geographic region.

Posted: Mar 28th 2010 3:12PM SgtBaker said

Erm. Bullcrap.

Please look up the oldest Alliance in game, Ushra'Khan
Then go do your homework on CVA, PIE - Veto and countless other EVE roleplaying corps.

Then go and read IGS part of the official forum..

And then go to podlogs.com and read the countless personal blogs that are written in-character and following the storyline...

The EVE storyline is alive and and very well and it's also being expanded by both the players and their in-game actions.

For example the recent bombing of Pashanai station was executed by The Bloody Hand of Matar which is a NPC corp - but in the lore, Ushra'Khan (a player Alliance) is listed as their influencer.

Wiki starting point: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ushra%27Khan_%28Player_alliance%29
IGS: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3520
The Pashanai station story: http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3768&tid=4

(and sorry I would have linked all of them, but this blog software from the stone age only allows 3 urls :facepalm:)

Posted: Mar 28th 2010 12:32PM DrewIW said

Like InfamousBrad said, the best stories in EVE are the ones that players make.

I really miss the old RP events, I think CCP should try and get that kind of storytelling active again.

Posted: Mar 28th 2010 5:53PM Psychotic Storm said

No I have to agree, for most of us, background story is a nice add on, it usually doesn't interfere with the game or with choices and most players do not seem to care about it at all.

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 10:51AM (Unverified) said

Background stories are not at all required to play EVE Online. But that's because of the role the players take in the universe; we are capsuleers, whose only interest is the fastest way to acquire more money and power. Most capsuleers don't care what important role they might play in the large factional wars that wage in New Eden; as long as they get their payment, they will do just about anything.

And that's the way it should be. The storyline should be there for players who want to learn about it, and interact with it. But it shouldn't be forced upon you. I can think of a nice story why I went out to that particular asteroid belt and mined that particular asteroid, but in the end I go home with a load of plagioclase, refine it, sell the materials and make some money, which is the actual reason I mined it.

Posted: Mar 29th 2010 10:57AM Stormwaltz said

Am I the only one who hopes "Burning Life" is simply well-written and entertaining?

I slogged through "Empyrean Age," with its pedestrian prose and unsympathetic characters, but I didn't enjoy it much.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014