Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 9:36AM (Unverified) said

It should be obvious from Bill Roper's mismanagement of Flagship he is not cut out for a leadership role. I can't fathom how Cryptic would think hiring him in the first place was a good idea. However; until Cryptic focuses more on the games and less about screwing their players out of every little microtransaction/perk on top of a full priced monthly sub, their reputation as money grubbing bottom feeders will remain with or without Bill Roper.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 9:48AM (Unverified) said

This is a start. But I truly feel that cryptic needs to close down their micro transaction stores. In my opinion they havent earned the right to have em up. Both champions and Star Trek Online (STO) are games that are incomplete and glaringly lacking in content. Once Cryptic adds enough content where there game feels solid from begining to end then we can talk store points etc. Keep in mind I do not think they should have a store up for at least a year because thats how long I think it will take for them to develop content.

On future game design.
Cryptic needs to slow down. The players have spoken stop pushing out your crappy games before they are ready. You earn and DESERVE a bad reputation for doing so. We hate waiting for games to come out (New Star Wars MMO anyone?) but dam it when you have enough respect for the players to say "sorry guys this game isnt ready yet it neeeds 6 more months etc" We wont like it.. but we will respect you in the morning. LMAO the difference between a one night stand and putting that wedding ring on. I want to love STO but I had to unsubscribe, this company just doesn't deserve my money right now. Maybe one day if they keep taking punches to their wallet from people growing tired of their games but not today. Earn our respect back and build solid products and do buisness in a reasonable manner and players will come back I know I would I love good video games.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 10:15AM (Unverified) said

I hear ya. I unsubscribed to this week. I had just got meself an Intrepid class when I had an overall feeling of dread about getting to Admiral. It just felt like I was grinding missions - no variety, repetitive gameplay. I wasn't MISSING the game when I wasn't playing...

I really want to love STO too so maybe in 6 months I'll resub and take a gander :)

On topic, a new producer for CO is a good public relations move - something Cryptic are starting to realize is a critical area of MMO games.

Happy shoppers will shop happily. Retail sales 101, people.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 10:16AM (Unverified) said

Aaarrgh

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 12:12PM Harley Dude said

I'd really like to know what Roper's new duties are. I'm hoping it involves STO, since the sooner that travesty goes away and someone else gets the license, the better.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

I was actually happy when they signed Roper on, initially. I really liked HG:L as a standalone game, and reading Roper's take on what had happened, I figured: "Ok, he's a well-intentioned guy who cares about his work, but got struck with bad luck."

Then after tolerating the glitches of CO as growing pains, I took lots of exception at the Kitchen Sink fix, which broke crafting and made Lemuria even more laggy, then at the announcement that a routine expansion of the game would be paid.

Sorry, as much as I like the eclectic power system, and some of the travel powers rock, levelling all my heroes through the same scenarios gets old really fast. Screws up immersion, too. I understand a new game might be a little devoid of content, but it generally gets balanced out after 6 months. These problems rest solely on Roper's shoulders, as he was the big boss of the game. As sad as I was for Flagship sinking, I now see him as inept and eager to make excuses for his shortcomings. He may have some good ideas, but he is not leadership material. Good riddance.

So at this point, I've suspended my account and will give the game a rest. COH is brimming with content that I haven't seen, despite my 66 months with them, so I'm gonna explore that while CO works on repairing the damage.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 2:44PM Tovrin said

For all the whining abot the C-Store and micro-transactions, last time I checked, the only thong there was costume pieces and pets. How is this different than Blizzard? How is this worse than Sony, who for a long time with EQ2 sold content in the firm of Adenture Packs? Am I missing something here?

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 3:04PM Harley Dude said

Lichbane:

My understanding is that because CO was so woefully barren on content, the feeling was they should concentrate on getting the game to a level where the players felt it should have been at launch before you start trying to charge people for more content.

Unfortunately, I played STO and it is the shallowest, content-lite MMO I've ever seen in 8 years of playing MMOs, although I hear CO was actually worse at launch. I can understand people being upset about resources being spent to add stuff to the C-store when the game doesn't have enough real content.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 3:12PM Neurasthenic said

ChicksDigHarleys:
Good point, but I would argue that the costume pieces and extra fluff they're adding to the store is most likely being worked on by a very small team (of artists, I assume), who have no involvement in the creation process of actual content like new mission chains. Of course, new content will require new art, I just feel like the resource impact of having costume pieces in their store is less significant than most people think.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

@Lichbane

Yes you are missing something. Blizzard had numersous content patches before they came out with their first exspansion. Vanllia WoW had alot to do. When BC and Wrath of the Lich King came out they were solid exspansions and each had major content patches added to them for free. I played EQ2 for a time before I got into WoW. EQ2 felt like a complete game with tons to do before their first paid exspansion came out. STO and CO do not feel complete at all. In addition for all your whining about precieved whining lol Cryptic claims its creation process as one of its strentghs. To be fair it is...however if your game doesnt have much going for it why would you charge for the very few things that players like about your game. People obviously do not like being charged for costume items and pets in a game that is sorely lacking in content. The only way for players to change this is to complain and stop giving companies that do this money. Which apparently does have some effect as Bill Roper found out.. since he is now in the basement complaining about how thats his stapler and if they will move his office again he will burn the place down....

Posted: Apr 1st 2010 8:17AM (Unverified) said

I find few people complaining about the costumes in the C-Store...
More people are angry about the character slots they sell there. In a game that blows every other MMO out of the water in terms of character creation, Cryptic knows that people will make alot of characters, so it's a low blow for them to charge for those character slots.

And then they go on to charge over 10$ for a retcon token. This is a thing that takes abotu a minute for Cryptic to program. No work goes into making this at all, why do they feel the need to charge for it? Same thing applys to the "Rename Character" and "Additional Costume Slot" services they sell.

I still find CO alot more fun than other MMOs, though. I don't blame all of Cryptic for the misdeeds of a few higher ups.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 3:07PM Neurasthenic said

It's surprising how much people bash Cryptic's microtransaction systems.
I bought CO and STO and agree that they both need a lot of work (although Champions is looking much better these days, especially with the upcoming expansion)... So I understand when people bash the lack of content, stuff like the kitchen sink update, etc.

But then you go check out the CO store - it's basically nothing but extra costume pieces. Any of my anger towards the concept of a subscription + MT setup dissipated pretty damn quick when I realized there's nothing on there that the majority of players will ever need. I feel overwhelmed as it is with the number of choices you get while creating a Champion. Then when I bought STO the same thing happened, there was nothing in the store that I feel is necessary.

You can argue that having the store will lead to them cutting out things that may have normally been put into the game for everyone. That's valid, but it doesn't bother me anymore now that I've realized they're not selling anything significant to me personally, and they're only piling on more choices. Not a problem when you're only going to have a few characters and will never exhaust all the possible combinations of current content.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 7:22PM (Unverified) said

Consider also that customization in CO is one of the four features of gameplay on the back of the box. Why should players be asked to pay extra for what is, in Cryptic's own estimation, 1/4th the draw of the game?

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 9:01PM Neurasthenic said

That's what I just spent 3 paragraphs explaining.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM