Posted: Mar 20th 2010 1:42PM (Unverified) said

I really doubt SW:TOR will bypass WoW or really come close. TOR could turn out being a much better game but when it comes down to it's gameplay and IP I just don't see many females playing it as they do WoW.

I am not saying girls don't like Star Wars, because some do, but in WoW most girls I know never hit endgame and only really play to be with friends and make their own cool dresses/armor and such. I might be a bit stereotypical but most of my friends in real life who are girls do play WoW and they have never had a 60/70/80 for endgame but still love it and that probably won't happen to the same degree in SW:TOR.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 3:05PM Seare said

No offense, but how many ways can you guys ask the same question?

I believe this game will be a huge success. Bioware are very smart and they are paying attention to every new launch and taking notes. I'm willing to bet this game was suppose to come out in 2010, but Bioware decided to polish it more. They know that story as well as end game are important and they are working on that.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 3:29PM MrGutts said

I hope the game does well, but the bottom line is in a MMO you need great support and responsiveness for your customers and we all know EA does NOT have any of that. It's one thing with first person games to drag your ass fixing something its a whole new animal when dealing with a MMO.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 4:12PM breezer said

Honestly, 2 million subscriptions seems unrealistic to me.

Sustaining that many subscribers would be almost unprecedented. And there are so many factors these days that contribute to determining how successful an MMO is. The economy sucks, there's a ridiculous amount of competition in the MMO market, gamers are pickier, and more demanding and more sensitive about busniess models.
Based on initial sales of games like Aion and STO, and the strength of the Bioware and Star Wars brands, TOR will likely sell an impressive amount of boxes, but what the players experience in those first couple months that will determine the outcome.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

"budget" is not the same as "development cost".

When you talk about budgets, you also talk about advertisement. Which makes me think SW:tor will eventually dwarf gta4

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 5:33PM cray said

Star Wars Galaxies is still motoring along, albeit slow. So I have very little doubt of SW:TOR's longterm success. It's going to sell as well as EA expects it to do and it's going to be no surprise. Otherwise they would've never boasted about reaching 2 million players.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 6:24PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Lets see, if they have the following things ingame they will get my money.

1. Scalable encounters, dungeon related and world.
2. No tab targeting or the option to switch it off and gain higher rewards, exp, etc. Its a crutch, like saying thats the way its always been done.
3. Limited radar or the ability to shut it off and again be rewarded in some way for doing so.
4. Randomly generate questlines that depends on combat, or wit, or luck or a combo of all three. With rewards commensurate with the amount finished, non repeatable.
5. Weapons, items, clothing all degrade over time to the point of unusability.
6. Crafting that is restricted by seasonal resources and open world pvp and on various planets, restricting these resources, devs need to keep a total hands off on the economy and let it fail or succeed.
7. Personal space flight from the planet surface to space, including combat or pursuit, or to any other planet in the game to include mass transit. Can be shortened by the user.
8. Combat in space (thought out of course)
9. Guild created outposts, or cities that take real time to build, with the ability to be defended and destroyed or nuked from orbit. Trade etc, and these will fail or succeed based on how they interact with the overall community.
10. NO LEVELS
11. An incredibly massive skill pools available to everyone from day one, quest or mission related to unlock (thousands of skills) available to everyone that can be selected daily, letting you choose what you want to do that day or if you change your mind last minute. All classes will have baseline skills. After all your not starting out in the game as a child.
12. No ignorantly thought out "we need a tank, we need a healer, we need dps" mindset. Combat should be random, you should never know what you need unless you have recon or intel and then the encounter should be fluid not fixed.
13. Massive avatar customization, get the look you want when you want
15. Massive gear customization, get the look you want when you want
16. No epic gear. This will force the devs to make content and host live events daily, creating a dynamic world that doesnt have ignorant dungeons baby sitting the masses to by time for lazy devs. This will also give crafters a reason to actually craft.
17. Personal transport that can be trained and bought to include combat craft.
19. A comical death penalty that is a pain but always entertaining (my idea)
20. Pvp penalties for ganking so severe they will make folks thnk twice about doing it, though the rewards for ganking are great. Just understand there is consequence. (again, my idea)
21. Lore that follows the game, not some derivitive of some demented idea or to put it simply, lets not see a JJ Abrams/Cryptic Star Wars
22. Exploration so vast and seemless, avatars can actually get lost, in real time.
23. No item store unless the majority of the community votes for it ingame by an account by account vote.
24. Avatar or ship ingame logout timer, 20 or 30 minutes should do, the player can leave immeadiately if they want, the avatar stays ingame and vulnerable.

If these things are present i will throw my money your way. (laugh)

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 9:03PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no one is ever going to make this game...

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 9:07PM (Unverified) said

If they make this game, they might get you to subscribe.

But the gaming world will seem strangely empty, I assure you :p

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 8:10PM deadborder said

Personally, I think that EA have set rather unrelistic goals for their subscriber numbers (The term "Pants on head retarded" comes to mind). I'm not saying it will be a flop by any means; however, at the same time, I am very doubtful that it'll reach the one million "break even" point that EA wants, let alone the two million they're shooting for. To my mind, aiming for anything over 500 K is unrelistinc. Four times that? No chance.

I'm reminded a lot of WAR here with EA's "500 K to break even, one million to profit" claims. Based on the number of active serveras remaining, I figure they can't have any more then, what, 170 K tops?

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 9:02PM (Unverified) said

I think TOR will bring in a lot of people who either have never played an MMO before, or tried it and didn't like it. Keeping those folks around is going to require a really well-balanced levelling process and some casual endgame content.

I think launching an MMO in the current market with this kind of budget is insanely risky. WoW didn't become number one by being the best MMO, it did it by being a mainstream cultural crossover. It's stayed number one by progressively nerfing end game to open it up to the casual majority, and by having plenty of options in PvE, PvP or just running around picking flowers. Genuinely hardcore gamers may not like what WoW has to offer, but keeping it easy and rewarding keeps those $15 a month payments rolling in.

If TOR has 2 million subscribers after 90 days, I won't be surprised. If it has 2 million after 18 months, I will be.

I'm planning to play the game, but everything new they release makes me less interested. How about showing us some multiplayer content?

Posted: Mar 21st 2010 9:30AM (Unverified) said

They can't show you the multi-player content because it isn't available. Check out http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-wars-the-old-republic-gdc-2010-hands-on for info on the MMO aspects that are thus far MIA.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 10:35PM (Unverified) said

EA....flop

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 10:36PM EdmundDante said

I think the economy in US is pretty bad right now.

Posted: Mar 21st 2010 9:18AM (Unverified) said

I am a tremendous Star Wars fan. Always have been, and always will be. Played Star Wars Galaxies until the day the Combat Upgrade went live back in March 2005. So it is with a lot of hope that I've been watching SWTOR progress, but instead of getting more excited I've become more worried this "MMO" is going to turn out to be an RPG with coop. Wrote about it just yesterday as a matter of fact (http://iggepsrealm.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-swtor-info-from-gdc.html).

I get worried when I see comments by the developers or Lucas Arts that they felt they needed to focus on "story" in the MMO market in order to differentiate themselves. In the next breathe they then talk about how their IP differentiates. Logical lapse much?

Posted: Mar 23rd 2010 5:18PM JanChel said

I believe it has the potential to get a good number of subscribers just because it is Bioware. They most likely have built up a fanbase from their excellent games in the past. I just hope that the game is good, is done well and doesn't get boring.

No more of these recent heavily-instanced, shallow games pretending to be MMOs. Too many developers that have no business making MMOs have let out a crap-ton of bad games lately.

I doubt though that it could reach WoW's numbers. That game was a fluke with excellent timing. I doubt Blizzard themselves could replicate their subscribers with WoW on another game.

Posted: Mar 24th 2010 1:33PM (Unverified) said

i think it will do very well, but i doubt it will get close to WoW´s number of subscriptions.