Posted: Mar 20th 2010 12:25PM madbassman39 said

I love CoX, one of my favorite MMO's, but after playing CO I came back to CoX and wanted the combat to be like CO's combat and miss the character/power customization that CO had. To me CO is the sequel to CoX and I just love the systems in place for that game I just wish CO had as much content as CoX has now which is an unreasonable expectation but I'm not happy playing either game at the moment.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 4:01PM Redwense said

I know what you mean. I started both trials at the same time, and I still can't decide until now. I much prefer CO's combat and character freedom, but there's something about CoX that pushes me slightly in that direction, even if I'm not really a fan of the freakishly repetitive instanced interiors and traditional "skill queue" combat. (And missions and combat virtually make up the entire game!)

Maybe it's CoX's group dynamics. Maybe it's the 5+ years of content and community, despite the repetitive maps I'm already worried about getting fed up with. Maybe it's because CO's world just doesn't feel "right" with the zone size and pacing and "single-player" feel.

I do enjoy playing both games, but I'm not entirely happy with either one now that I have played them side by side. I keep telling myself: "If only CoX was less repetitive, had more active combat, and more character options; if only CO had more zones, compelling content, and better writing.". I really do want to get into a superhero MMORPG, but DCUO is far off, and I'm not sure how that will turn out.

In the end, I'm not even sure if Going Rogue and Vibora Bay/Revelations will help me finally decide on one to pay for.

Posted: Mar 21st 2010 12:13AM Sam not Spam said

Bummer to hear that. I personally prefer COH - CO, while an amazing foundation for what it'll be, simply wasn't my cup of tea in terms of how it "felt" - but I really want to see CO succeed. Here's hoping that Cryptic can really get the game into amazing shape before its first birthday!

That being said, I have to say that the increased competition has done me, as a COH player, a lot of good. So to you, someone who prefers CO, I have to say "thank you!" That includes GR, which I've already pre-bought from NCSoft! :)

Posted: Mar 21st 2010 10:22AM Valdamar said

It just goes to show how people like different things - I tried CO in open beta and the one thing I really hated was that the combat & movement felt much clunkier than CoH's - to me CoH's combat feels more smoothly dynamic and action-packed, with more options/tactics, and with my input directly controlling my character's actions - in other MMOs like WoW/EQ2 I feel more like I'm managing my character and giving it orders rather than directly controlling it in combat - while CO wasn't as bad as that I still didn't feel as connected to my character's movements as I do in CoH.

Sure, CO had features I liked (being able to pick up & throw cars/rubble, beast stance, mission/quest variety, swinging travel power) and other things I disliked (the graphics, how characters are built and progress, the comedic/childish tone, Cryptic's management of the game), but the main reason I didn't buy CO was because I much prefer CoH's combat - enjoying that basic gameplay has kept me playing CoH for 3.5 years, which is 3 years longer than I've played any other MMO apart from my first 3 years in EverQuest.

Sure, CoH's missions get repetitive, yet to me the combat always feels fresh (probably because each powerset/archetype plays very differently). Of course maybe I've just played CoH for so long that playing it is instinctive for me - it's probably ruined me for other MMOs :D

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 10:07PM starka1 said

Looks like fun but the problem I'm seeing now after coming back for month is the place is so dead. Teaming mechanics are the best in CoH but they are worthless if there is no one to team with. Tried global channels since i can see players online, tried lft flag, etc...nothing. I can go through each zone and sometimes not see a single person or if populated never see more than 10, even Atlas. I don't play Freedom or Virtue much. This is my current experience on Pinnacle, Triumph, Guardian and Liberty(this last one has been esp dead red side for a lonng time already so no new surprise there).