Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:14PM yeppers said

Landroval is a terrific server -- it's been my home from the beginning. The /advice folks are always on-hand and courteous. There is also a very healthy RP community around at all times willing to share a pint, a smoke, or a meal.

Hullo and welcome!

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:09PM (Unverified) said

The Shire is THE reason I got hooked on LOTRO.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

Oh The Shire, it holds a special place in my heart when it comes to gaming. It was where my 1st toon was born. I was a member of Swifty and Hammo on Arkenstone and we were at one time an all Hobbit Clan. We used to do Hobbit marches thru Bree settting off fireworks and announcing in /ooc that we were coming thru. Also Swifty would /say stuff like, "Move over long ears, Hobbit Train coming thru." We had a lot of fun.
The bands at Prancing Pony, we had an all Hobbit band that practiced and downloaded songs so they could play them, and also held events like trivia contests and the infmaous...FIND HAMMO contests in Bree

Good time good times

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:41PM Cinnamoon said

I wish I were on a big server like Landroval, but it'd cost about $200 to move all my family's characters there. Hopefully at some point Turbine can no longer ignore how empty its empty servers are, and move us for free.

However, no matter what server you're on, the Shire is home. I think everyone should make a Hobbit first and play through the Shire before venturing out elsewhere. On the other hand, while I tend to agree that some of the pathos is missing from Erud Luin (they just don't capture the passage and decay of time very well), I won't say the same for the earliest parts of Bree... Bree (specifically, Archet) has a very dark feel to it. Women wailing, charred skeletons of houses, quests that have you recovering and burying bodies. It's not graphic, but compared to the Shire, it's a lot to take in, and not at all dull. For me, what makes LOTR(O) is that contrast between the blissful ignorance of the Shire, and the grim, doomed reality of the lands of Men.

As an aside... the pie-running and mailbag-delivery quests are quite cute, but they are implemented poorly. People would love them a lot more if they weren't on such short, unforgiving timers. Even die-hard halfling fans like myself rather hate running back to pick up that pie all over again after a failure, and that's very often what the experience entails.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:14PM GenericPerson said

Welcome to Landroval. Until I tinkered around in Brandywine this was my primary server, since I just came back I'm all about this server.

I just recently rolled a new character with a dedicated group and for the first time I'm going through the Shire as a quest area. You are so right, this place is nice and peaceful (except for those pesky Dwarves).

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:19PM (Unverified) said

Lovely article, and I share the same sentiments as Justin and the comments here.

The thing that always gets me, is the food (yes, the food).

It's everywhere you look in the Shire; everybody's always talking about it, quests are centered around it, and especially if you're a cook there's no escaping it.

It may sound incredibly stupid, but whenever I'm playing in the Shire I develop an insatiable appetite for cheese, wine, a pie and bacon & eggs.
The game simply triggers something in my brain that translates into real-life cravings for the items I'm handling. The sights, sounds and content simply make my mouth water and my tummy rumble, and more often than not I end up going to get a savory snack and some wine to thoroughly immerse myself in the world as I play in that zone.

Odd huh! (Yummy though..) ;p

It's also the area where I find myself doing the most 'virtual living' - just wandering around, fishing, crafting, exploring, adventuring, and sorting through house and personal items.

I think it's a real testament to the design and implementation of the area in general, when one literally feels like they're part of the world on their screen (especially when it generates real-life hunger pangs!).

It's definitely pretty, but more than that it has a tangible atmosphere and it oozes charm.

To be honest I can't say I find the same qualities in other areas though. I realise that there's only one 'Shire', but there are plenty of other zones in the game that could do with a pass of charm and polish (whether they be foreboding or otherwise) to bring them up to the same standards and elicit the same level of engagement.

But I digress; most definitely 'hats off' to The Shire on all counts. It'd have to be up there in the Top 5 zones of any game imho.
=)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:58PM Thac0 said

What gets me is the rest of the game feels very anticlimactic after having goen through the shire at the start. After I did the shire going to Bree then Weather top was boring and I quit.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

*runs to play LotRO now*

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 3:17PM Pingles said

I don't think ANY zone in any game has ever felt like HOME to me the way the Shire did. I don't play LOTRO any more but the pic for the article immediately made me yearn to walk around the Shire.

On Landroval, too.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 5:04PM ultimateq said

I'm not a lotro player, but wow, that screen shot looks amazing.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:38PM Sunaris said

it's an amazing game. you should try it out sometime. some of the best game views in any mmo, ever.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 6:08PM kazamxi said

The Shire is the best zone in any game. I loved playing in the shire.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 6:51PM RogueJedi86 said

Aha, but you forgot to list the ultimate non-combat quest in the Shire............the chicken run! The session play where you play as a chicken running from the Shire to various locales in a set time. Some are easy, like running to Bree, nothing hostile on the roads. Others..........yeah, you try running all the way to Rivendell as a level 1 chicken who dies in one hit and has no means of defense.

It's that kind of laid back whimsy that makes the Shire so lovable.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014