Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:11AM Archebus said

I would love to work in the game industry. At present, I'm not sure whether it's the thing that would be most exciting to do, or whether I have other interests that would come first... but the ability to help create something like a game, with the ability to be more real than a book and more engaging than a movie, is definitely an ability I would like to have.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:54AM (Unverified) said

More real than a book? How can any game be more "real" than the classics of Russian Literature for example? And very few gaming moments can be as engaging as the works of european or asian cinema (although i think you meant interactive there).

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:21AM Archebus said

It is a matter of opinion, of course, but what a book creates in your mind is entirely a mental thing, subject to each individual reader's interpretations and ideas. A game creates the world for you - not that this is better or worse, it is just more real than literature. You must create Anna Karenina's world, and that world will be different for each reader and different from what Tolstoy intended. Taris, however, is the same for everyone. It is not transient and individual. A book I must create; a game has already been created, and I only have to live it out.

And I fully intended to say engaging. There are very few games that have managed to draw me in, but the ones that have, entertain me more than a movie could. I care more about Cortana than I do about Frodo; I want to stop Malak more than I want the Icarus II to make it to the sun; I want to find out what happened to the Chozo more than I want Cpl. Jamie Smith to live.

I'm not saying games are better. I read a lot, I watch more movies than I should. As far as capacity to create a world and make you feel it, though, I think games have the upper hand.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:21PM (Unverified) said

I meant real as a metaphysical thing. Of course in literal meaning what your eyes can see is more real but the reality of those stories in books (as in showing us certain realities of certain eras, cultures and geographies etc.) is beyond the realities of gaming in my opinion. And yes when i'm playing i care about the characters and the story but very few sticks with me throughout my life. For example no game can ever engage me as Oldboy did.

I wish i had better grasp of english to discuss it more deeply but i'm afraid i don't have that. It's only enough to write these :)

You are right, these are my opinions not facts of course. I didn't intend to sound snobbish, sorry if i did.

In the end while i don't necessarily agree with everything you said, you nicely laid it out so fair enough my friend :)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:15AM Lafajet said

Well, enrolling in a game design program at my university would suggest that I do. I love games, always have and always will, so the logical way for me to share that love seems to be making games that others will enjoy.

Will I want to go into MMOs? Well, yes and no. I love the genre and I think that it has potential for much growth and creative solutions, but it feels like it can lock you down on the same project for a long time. With the right project it can probably be a joy, with the wrong on it will most likely cause me more frustration then anything is worth.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:43AM Tom in VA said

Yes, definitely. I'd love to design quest content and help write overall story arcs. I think MMOs provide a great venue for interactive story telling.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:07AM Crsh said

I wanted to work for the game industry a few years back, unfortunately my professional experience seems to have worked against me; I sought out 3D modeling training and animation to "ramp up".

Until I realized that game companies don't tend to pay well, at least the entry-level salaries I was offered were disgustingly low (like receptionnist-level) on the premise that I was a newcomer (ignoring my past work experience that is relevant to gaming) - couple that with the near-mythical long hours and stress, I changed my mind and went back to graphic design/advertising.

Not all is lost, a group of friends and I got together and started a casual gaming project on the side for fun, it's not progressing very fast but it's our thing.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:10AM gallahad said

I'd rather continue programming in the industry than programming in a cube farm at a bank, even though the bank would probably pay me more money. With that said, though, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. To the people getting ready to make the jump into the industry: be prepared to have your hopes and dreams (and perhaps soul) crushed.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:10AM gildhur said

Yes, please!

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:27AM Kifix said

I would certainely like to work in the MMO industry. Despite every blog article or interview that says how hard or frustrating it can be, i still feel its worth it.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:31AM archipelagos said

Would I like to be involved in the creative process of making a game? Very much so. Would I like to work in the present gaming industry? Nope.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:59AM Macabre 13 said

My feelings exactly.

I would have loved to make games 15-25 years ago.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:46AM (Unverified) said

I'd love to work in the games industry. As an ex-DM for a tabletop roleplaying group, that now all play MMO's, creating worlds and storylines was something I particuarly enjoyed, and would love to do in the MMO space.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:13AM Stormwaltz said

Already do.

It's not as bad as some companies make it look. You just have to choose the right employer. In that respect, I've been fairly blessed.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

Need a designer? :p

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:55PM SkuzBukit said

As much as I'd love the opportunity to work in the games industry the extreme levels of passion needed in the face of awfully long hours & poor pay put me off, I have a family that need me & to work in games I'd have to sacrifice too much of what is most important to me.

I guess I just try to exercise some modicum of influence from the sidelines, though I've pitched ideas at developers over the years when I felt I had a constructive opinion/design idea to offer, my best ideas I keep to myself in the vain hope I could one day make those dreams a reality...perhaps I'll write them up as a design doc & it'll get made into a game posthumously :P

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:26AM Everrest said

I would love to work in the industry.

(There was more to this post but i decided that first sentence really says it all.)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:52AM (Unverified) said

I've worked in the games industry for years and seen the usual highs and lows:

- Releasing a great game everyone loves and even gets recognition (we won a BAFTA)

- Having a real input into something I love doing for fun as well as work

- 60+ hour work weeks, crunching until 2am, Saturday & Sunday compulsary working

- Spending over a year on a project just to be dropped by a publisher for some unknown reason

Obviously loads more to it but the honest truth is it's quite similar to other development jobs unless you really love games, it's the passion which makes it stand out. You can earn a hell of a lot more money in other sectors working easy hours with great benefits compared to the games industry...

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 12:37PM (Unverified) said

We're midway through a nasty crunch right now and kissing the weekend goodbye. Wouldn't trade it for a bog standard IT job even if my mate is earning 15k more than me :)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:52AM Samuraiko said

Yes, I would, and have been trying to get into the industry now for over two years as a technical writer/editor. Ironically, I've made better inroads thanks to the videos I make for fun, but I keep trying!