Posted: Mar 18th 2010 3:08AM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
Though not remotely interested after the launch fiasco and the subsequent game nuking itself a person has to wonder. looking at current employees in the overal company, some names are still there, and yet are said to be not "in charge" or "moved on" which means exactly what? (yes, i know, a different office in the same building).

I am sure the very few hardcore raiding folks left in that game will appreciate the new dungeons, but will the bulk of folks that left come back for this? I read and reread the patch/expansion notes extensively, seemingly this was to be the game at launch and just now they are getting around to putting out another money injector to try and garner job security.

To much is going to be put out in the next weeks and months to even worry about bothering with this game. Why not fire the devs and suits, kill the game, shift resources to another company that could use it, and start again with a lessons learned mindset, who knows, they might do a better job next time.

Buying the expansion, unless you just like wasting money, seems a waste. I mean i understand the whole lets go to the club mind set and blow wads of cash, at least in the club if you spend at least 30 bucks you know you will have fun. (grin)

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 6:06AM (Unverified) said

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 10:19AM Thac0 said

I agree you don't know what your talking about. Despite its bad rep I think AoC is one of the best MMOs on the market today. I cant wait for the X-pac.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 12:03PM (Unverified) said

What an idiot. This is obviously someone who has not played or even bothered to look at the game since launch.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 2:31PM Lateris said

I mean this with respect and some LOL behind it. No offense but Duuuuude- go hang out on CNN.com with all the other hate mongers. Show the love brother! The fact is that Craig Morrison has led his teams to turn this game around. It is not the same game any longer. It deserves a second chance. I was in the hater camp at one time. But I logged in and gave it a real try. I can see the game is now better off in terms of content and performance. I can crank the DX9 with my ATI 4850 and a intel e6400 with 4gbs of ram in W-7 64 bit with no issues. It is a better game. The DX 9/10 looks amazing.

To be fair I do not PvP...yet. So I don't know that factor. I simply think giving it a second chance is worth it for the PvE side. And this expansion brings some good things which you really pointed out.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 3:51AM (Unverified) said

Jeez man, so much hate. Can't you let those of us who enjoy the game enjoy some new information?

I'm happy about the expansion and the new content, and the Shrines of Bori next patch. I wish people would focus on what they're doing right, as they seem to be doing a lot right these days.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 7:09AM Duulin said

The alternate advancement sounds great. In my opinion guild wars had it right with only being able to equip certain skills before going into battle and giving a wider range of abilities. Global agenda has this same principle as well.

As far as the faction gear is concerned, I don't think players will respond well to losing their gear if they switch factions, although the idea of having to make a choice is a great one. One solution would be to allow them to keep their gear but can only equip it if they have the correct faction. A good way to enforce this would be that if they equip their old gear from a faction they are no longer loyal to, a huge mob of their existing faction spawns and kicks their ass. A case of mistaken identity.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 7:14AM Duulin said

Thinking about this further, an even better way to enforce equipping gear from a faction you are no longer loyal to would be that each time you equip it you lose faction with their enemy faction. This would be equivalent to the empire getting upset with a rookie storm trooper who insists on dressing like princess leia.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 7:27AM Daelen said

In EQ2 when you betray to another class... you lose your epic. You technical get your new classes epic, but yours... poof. So maybe a similar system where once you've gotten the faction required, you can exchange your old ring for theirs.

But ya generally speaking players aren't fans of factions that block gear or make you KoS. EQ2:DoF I'm looking at you =P

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 7:53AM MewmewGrrl said

This game looks so cool. It's sad that people try it at launch, and then never come back once it's so super improved later.

I wonder if they did a Free to Play thing like DDO did, if it would help? I know that makes people cringe who are current players, you don't normally want your game converted and I understand that, but it saved DDO and completely turned it around. The game got new life, tons of new players, and started to get lots more development again.

It's unfortunate that you have to go free to get the players to look at it again or new ones there sometimes. I just really wanted to see this game succeed and it truly is a pretty awesome game. I admit I didn't play it at release, so I don't know what happened then, but I know that playing it now it's pretty developed and cool and I wish more people would catch on to that.

I don't know if the other paying customers would like to see it go F2P to get more players or not tho.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 10:24AM Thac0 said

I did play it at release and i have come and gone a few times since then as i hop around a lot to try new games. However I had no issues at release and I don't understand why people said it was so bad. I'm under the assumption that they had PCs running minimum specs or below and were angry at performance issues. The thing is you will never have great performance at minimum specs and below but just good enough to get by.

Also IF AoC did F2P exactly like DDO i think it would be OK, everyone i know says DDO did F2P the right way and is impressed and I agree.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 10:30AM (Unverified) said

I think the reason DDO has worked so well as a f2p model is the way the game is structured.

It would take some creative thinking to work something like that into AoC. I think adapting a tradition f2p model would ruin the game.

I think people presume Funcom are in a worse state than they really are financially. I hope that a good launch with the secret world can turn this round for them.

While I do not agree about the f2p idea i think they need to do something other than just advertising everywhere to bring players back.

I also think they need to accept that alot of people bough AoC because they wanted a break from Warcraft. Played it and found it was not a Warcraft killer and left to the next thing or went back to WoW.

Same thing happend with Aion.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 10:46PM detayl said

I'm excited that Funcom hasn't dropped AoC and are still trying to improve it with patches and expansions. When everything is working as it should, it's one of the best MMOs out there between the deep combat and adult subject matter. I was there for the rocky launch (admittedly with a less than stellar gaming PC at the time) and quit shortly after from sheer frustration. Then, a buddy and I "rediscovered" it last summer and we really enjoyed ourselves until around 70 where the content that we could duo just sort of dried up. Our hope is that with Godslayer, we'll be able to return to our prehistoric army of two. The fact that Funcom is making a real attempt at giving the player choices that matter is a nice step forward for the genre as a whole--one that a lot of story focused players like myself have demanded for a long time. The thing with true choices and their consequences is that a player cannot do / have everything with the same character, which naturally will tick some MMO veterans off. But it's my hope that AoC will get some extra replay value out of it. The only thing that I'm a little unsure of is the "emotions" system and how it will affect encounters and puzzles. It's a cute idea, but I have a feeling that in the end it will be as immersive as tapping the space bar.

As for DDO's great new business model (one that I've taken part in as a subscriber and a free player) I have to agree with Electrobix. DDO's content is easily served up in bite-sized missions that are all instanced. No matter what, you have to go through a door, gate or on a ship in order to gain access to the locations of the missions. Conan, on the other hand, has vast outdoor areas with "natural barriers" serving as the gateways, but quests are scattered all over a map that you have to actually move your avatar to. It'd be a real downer to be halfway through a quest in Aquilonia and find out that the rest of the mission is in Stygia and woops now you need to pay to get there. I'm not saying there's no elegant solution to the problem, just that DDO's overall setup lends itself more to getting missions via micro-transactions.

Anyways, overall I'm very stoked on this!

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 2:17PM Randomessa said

@ Mewmew:

I would come back to AoC in a heartbeat if it went velvet rope access/pay per zone/free to play. As it is, I can't really justify maintaining two subs with my lack of gaming time, as much as I would like to jump back on my L32 Bear Shaman and run around from time to time.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 2:41PM (Unverified) said

I've been playing for far too long to even entertain the idea of a Free 2 Play model. I really hope they don't do that, or if they do severely limit the amount of armor and weapons that can be purchased. You have to work so hard for PvP levels, to get PvP gear.. it would be such a shame to be able to purchase that with money.

I'm stuck in my old ways of not liking Free 2 Play, I'm sure it could do some great things for the game. I just don't like the idea.