Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:31AM Aganazer said

As much as I enjoyed reading your passionate comments, I disagree. I don't think any more damage could have been done to Alganon. It was already the laughing stock of the MMO genre.

Derek has already brought in a HUGE amount of free marketing just by leaving a few dramatic posts. Not only that, but he is promising game improvement and change in a direction that would clearly improve Alganon's standing.

You hate drama. I get that, but for most of us, this is pure entertainment and even adds a small chance (like win the lotery small chance) of turning this game into something worth playing.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:26AM niakori said

*passes around popcorn*

Oh Derek, you never cease to start some entertainment.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:46AM (Unverified) said

Ok as a member of the beta I can actually say I was surprised by the Dec 1st "launch" when it was announced...it wasnt ready,not even remotely..and so I wrote off the game...figured I look in on it in March to see how it;s coming along.

And this is what I find...public rants by everyone involved has me not even visiting the website to grab the client.

I'm an average MMO player...and this whole thing has scared me off...good job everyone!

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:30AM HereticalPenguin said

Derek Smart reminds me of how I would act when I get into mudslinging contests on comment boards... when I was 15. He's gonna make Alganon solely about Derek Smart.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 3:37AM Dranaerys said

Wow, nice going, Derek, for a whoile there you managed to avoid any controversies, and maybe gain a little trust from people.

Now, in one fell swoop, you have dashed it all to pieces, proven to everyone you havent changed. Good luck to you, sir, you have been exposed as the petulant litle brat you are.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:04AM Deadalon said

lol - And these guys expect someone to buy a product from them ? Who on EARTH will buy a game (note must buy before you play) and then find out how crappy it really is ... and with these guys in charge....

Alganon sub based attempt was bad cause the game was crap. Expecting ppl to PAY for the game and then get play for free and ALSO item shop is a joke.

Stay away from this one guys. Far far away.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:27AM Tom in VA said

This whole thing reminds me of shoppers in a fistfight over a blue-light special at K-Mart. The product's just not worth it, you guys. Seriously.

(Meanwhile, I slowly back away from Alganon and head for the nearest exit.)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 9:29AM Orvidos said

So here's my problem with this.

Comedy gold. Hell, platinum encrusted with conflict diamonds.

But I believe what Derek Smart is saying.

I know. I nearly gagged when I realized that.

He may do what he does, but if these people have honestly 'hired' him to fix their game, there are two things going on.

1. He honestly tried to be professional about it. . .until someone actually payed him a compliment and he turned it into a reason to start Flame War Redux. (If it goes on for a long time.

2. How little contact do you have with gaming/the internet to hire Derek Smart? I begin to suspect the internal manuevering rumors are true.

*Takes some popcorn from niakori and takes out a 10 dollar bill*

Bets on Bill Roper showing up to defend Derek Smart, anyone?

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:13AM SkuzBukit said

I can't see any way Bill Roper would get involved with Derek Smart, it's a struggle to fit both those giant egos on the same planet let alone anywhere smaller scale.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:24AM (Unverified) said

I hope they can turn Alganon around, but honestly, it's going to be very challenging.

They have 4 classes. Ranger, Healer, Magus, Soldier. Of those, 1 can solo effectively (OP Magus), and it was all solo content from 1 - 50 until the Dawning was completed. Leveling one of those other three required exploiting bugs or heavy medication. Most players chose the former rather than the latter. Exploiting the bugs was the only thing that made playing even remotely fun.

Until recently (as in, March 15th), there was exactly one place in the game with group content, and it was broken & buggy since beta. After the March 16th patch, the game servers are still crashing many times per day in an attempt to consume this group content.

So while I agree there is definitely a lot of blame to go around, today (March 19th) the game still has a bug in it whereby if a member of your group dies, the ENTIRE SERVER CRASHES. Does that sound like something YOU would ever let pass QA and into production? Not me.

Most of the class skills, either granted by leveling or chosen in the specialization trees are extraordinarily ineffective, boring, and/or unimaginative. If you don't want to be a clone of WoW, which I don't think Alganon is, but many do, then you are actually going to have to make it different. Giving players the same old crap for skills isn't going to make your game distinct or unique.

When presented with viable alternatives to all of the broken features, the developers have, in the past, waved away the feedback with arrogance. And I'm talking exhaustive feedback that apparently took days to compile. They just waved it away and said everything is fine, we're not changing anything. If you treat your community like crap and ignore what they offer as feedback, expect the same in return.

While it's true it's a bad idea to listen to your players 100% of the time and give them what they want 100% of the time, even 5% might have some value? Maybe? Do ya think? If there really is a new face on QOL, where's the polls, where's the "we want your feedback on all these broken game mechanics" threads on the subscriber forums? Oh, right, none of that. Ok then.

And seriously, texturing faces/meshes that should be culled? What's that about? You're surprised at the 10FPS performance when the engine is rendering twice what it needs to? fail.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 10:46AM Macabre 13 said

I must say, before this article, I had never heard of Derek Smart.

After reading the gamasutra thread, I'm absolutely astounded that I have stumbled upon an individual in the game industry with a bigger ego than Bill Roper.

Beware the Me Monsters!

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

That's an excellent clip, Macabre! Thanks for sharing =)

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 7:44PM Tizmah said

Yikes, why is this public? I'd never hire any of those guys who take all that business to public.

Sure we all have a few arguments, but you don't put it out in public..

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 12:56PM (Unverified) said

Derek Smart may be a loudmouth but he has produced games and much of that was solo. After reading the comments if even half the things he says are true, then David Allen and friends were not fired for their game making decisions but for acts of fraud against the investors.

In any case I hope he can make some changes and get Alganon working and then we can judge for ourselves.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 3:47PM nearly nil said

i just wonder what Smart hopes to accomplish with Alganon. As the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. Sad for the investors loss, but it is a cautionary tale for future investors to be more informed about the industry they are investing in. I seriously doubt that Alganon is salvageable. We (MMO consumers) have already rendered our judgement and have moved on to the next big thing...

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 8:13PM Elmarolly said

Like or dislike Derek. The real bad guys are David, Hue and Jason. They are the ones who made the game run and look like shite and still had the balls to tell the community and investors that the game is ready and good to go.

If any of you have touched network code and know ACE. Then you will know that is was a very bad idea to use it for even a small indie game let alone one that they thought could compare even to WOW's let behind waste.

Take care all

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 11:53PM (Unverified) said

The bad guys are David, Hue and Jason? Seriously? They went out and started a company, secured money and created a game. Even if you and I agree that the game is terrible, they still did exactly what they said they were going to. They also were able to create 40 some jobs in an economy that was on a down swing, managed to create all the tools to get the game running all for a fraction of the cost of what creating an MMO takes these days.

So I guess they were terrible human beings... unlike Derek who completely aired out the entire thing in the public. So tell us all, what made those three the bad guys exactly?

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 9:51AM (Unverified) said

I had never heard of the man before this article. Frankly, he doesn't appear to be stable and would probably benefit from seeking professional help.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 5:12PM Elmarolly said

Ok Darzin I will bite.

First off did you take part in the beta?. If you did, you would have known that there was alot of promises of how the game was going to be run and things fixed.

Heck, we begged and pleaded with those three to please not release the game on Dec 1 cause it was no better then in Oct. Did the guys listen?, no. We well actually begged and pleaded with QoL on a whole but those three were the driving force in the game. And for that most of the player base vowed to never step foot in the game again.

Even after all the promises there were a few of us die hards that love indy companies. And put our money where our mouth is and bought yearly subs. Heck even some bought 4 to 5. I know my husband bought 2. All in the faith that those three would turn the game around. Well months after release the game did not get too much better and in some cases worse then it was in beta.

So even though they say they will give our money back once the game is released. I will not be one of the people that will be e-mailing them to request my money back. I do still have faith in the company and if my $400.00 helps even in alittle then keep it I say.

So the three started a company, and employed 40 some odd jobs. Did David sit on his throne of lies and cast more BS out of his mouth to get players and investors to sink more money in the game. Yes. Did any of the three, well maybe Hue. Not have a shred of morals and think that maybe we should not take the money and lead people on?. Heck even putting the game back into beta would have done it more good then what has happened. But then according to Derek the investors would have pulled out.

Does that make them better then Derek? NO. Heck all four should be cast out of the game industy for the rest of their lives.

Do I like Derek?, NO. But I do have alittle more respect for him. And by alittle I mean very small like my none existent penis.

So are all three bad in my opinion. Yes!. They took the faith of players and investors and threw it out the window for it would seem money.

Do I think it was the right thing for Derek to air the stuff in public?. No. But if it helps in the game industy and players that all three would never work in it again then I agree it should be made public. One day Derek's time will come.

But then I am a female. So have at that as you will.

ACE for network code..... and to this day we wonder why the game runs like crap.

Take care

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 11:17PM (Unverified) said

I just want to let you know, that as much as you want to blame those three, who do you think was brought in to guide the company and David Allen in December? Take a guess! His name was Derek Smart. Yet somehow, Derek is 100% clean of the mess even though he was just as involved as the other three?

Congrats on not knowing!