Posted: Mar 17th 2010 4:11PM Scuffles said

Game looks shamelessly awesome

I just hope that since its F2P they learn from other companies short comings that there is a decent line between setting your game up to print money and abusing your player base to the point they all just get up and walk away.

You only get one first impression.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 4:31PM (Unverified) said

I've got to agree entirely. I want to get my hands on this, but the F2P financial plan has me hesitant. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 4:25PM dudemanjac said

April can't get here fast enough. I'ms gone gets mah space fix!

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Seems like you can never find a developer to give you everything you want. For example, EVE Online had everything I wanted in a sandbox game except that it wasn't a FPS which was a big letdown for me (even though I still enjoyed the game somewhat). Black Prophecy looks like it has all of the elements I'd want in a space FPS, yet it "seems" to lack many of the aspects of other MMOs (like EVE).

I mean I watch the video and immediately think of massive FPS battles between two factions, yet I'm guessing that won't be the actual case, correct? Can someone clarify this? Is this game all instanced with little or no open universe battles similar to EVE?

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:28PM (Unverified) said

They have stated that they hope to be able to have dogfights of a maximum of 200-300 people. They said the missions will be instanced, and that most clustering will be done at space stations, where a few hundred people can gather.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 4:59PM (Unverified) said

Since BP wasn't designed from the start as a F2P game, I too hope they don't go overboard on their cash shop. Reactor says they are going to "redefine" F2P model with BP.

This game has the potential to be AWESOME, I've been looking for a good game successor to Freelancer and Privateer.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 11:39PM dudemanjac said

Actual they said that it was designed to be F2P from the start.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 5:56PM EdmundDante said

Looks like they've taken quite a few elements from Eve. The ability to fly your ship in your cockpit I like.

I wish Black Prophecy well. I'll be sticking with Eve though - given DUST 514, Incarna, and Planetary Development being served soon at shard servers near you. heh.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 6:19PM Lokasaki said

Eh DUST 514 is for console only, while Incarna is turning out to be vaporware.

Planetary development looks interesting though.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 6:41PM Dirame said

• 1 heart
What's wrong with D514 being console only? And why do you think Incarna is vaporware?

I'm a fan but you should drop some points whilst spreading your opinions.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 4:30AM Unverfied B said

Incarna (and whatever other names it had before... Ambulation, WIS) was the "next expansion or maybe the one after that" for like... 5 years? Untill we actually see something it IS vaporware.

And screw consoles, never had one, never will. If CCP wants my money - develop for PC, kthx.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 6:10PM ultimateq said

Basically looks like a Freespace MMO. Which is why IT'S AWESOME. WOW, That looks so fun. Freespace was one of my favorite games, and this can only be great.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 6:57PM Loki1 said

Does anyone know if there's missions and how do they work?

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:25PM (Unverified) said

Massively actually did a whole interview with one of the lead designers of BP on missions, found here: http://www.massively.com/2010/02/01/massivelys-black-prophecy-qanda-mission-systems/

In short, there will be tons of both PvE and PvP missions, as well as something called PvEvP missions. Each mission can be different from player to player and each is dynamic.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 10:03PM Loki1 said

Thank you.
Doesn't sound any bad, so far.

I just hope, tho, that they don't handhold the player in following a linear sequence of stations/maps according to the character's level. It takes away the reason to explore and the feeling of globality. I find this scheme a bit coercive in a MMO. Missions shouldn't interfere with the world as a whole with a pretentious story.

what do you guys think?

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:55PM nathanb said

anyone remember Earth and Beyond?

That had a nice flight simulator, but the universe was pitifully small, industry was a joke, no market to speak of, etc. I did enjoy the game quite a bit, though.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:02PM Lateris said

What i really likei s how you can build ships out of modules. that reminds of a space RTS game that did the same thing for crafting ships. I can't remember the name but I am glad to see it coming to this game.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 8:26PM (Unverified) said

I don't care if this is f2p now, it looks awesome!

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 9:59PM (Unverified) said

blarg, I wish they'd go Freemium instead of RMT. They could restrict "big" crafting like stations and such to the premium accounts. I think everyone'd be very happy with that arrangement.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 11:42PM (Unverified) said

On another note, I hope they dont fuck this up as at the moment they are facing relatively littlecompetition. Come 2011 there will be SWTOR and possibly JGE so Black Prophecy has a headstart forn now, lets see how they handle this.