Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:10PM Sunaris said

• 1 heart
@Amana

you said....(And before you say "but Lotro does this too!" - yes they do. They infrequently offer come-back deals which often entail a very cheap 3 month dangling carrot, however that's a strategic decision I'd expect from a mature business such as Turbine's. Remember, the current Cryptic has only been in business since December 2008 when it was purchased by Atari..)

by infrequently do you mean every day since moria launched? Because you can go sign up now for that price and have been able to for a LONG time. And turbine's mature because they do it and cryptic is failing for doing it? your logic makes no sense, cryptic did CoH/V after all they have been around the block before.
Well good luck on your freshman marketing class, it seems to be paying off ;)

oh and everyone leave roper alone, he's a good guy.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 12:56AM (Unverified) said

What? Maybe re-read my comment, sugewise.

They do infrequently offer it via email promotion, and yes you can choose it as an option on your account/sub page.
Turbine's business *maturity* means their cost-per-customer is naturally going to be lower than Cryptic's in terms of cost cycle. And yes, Cryptic were established originally in 2000 but as I emphasised, they've only been operating under their current cost and ownership structure since Dec 08.

Freshman? Lol at my age and occupation you'd laugh at yourself.
I'm laughing at you too, if it helps.

As for Roper - no he's not (a good guy).
He's:
- an asshole
- a liar
- an ego-centric bully
- an industry-acknowledged failure (twice)
- a yellow stain on the white underwear of the gaming industry
(There's a reason he's no longer at Blizzard, you know..)

Go away Roper, you poor excuse for just about everything.. the sooner the better. Good riddance re CO, now just keep walking..

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:23PM Scarecrowe said

That is *exactly* what I'm worried about... please please please keep Roper out of STO! It's got enough issues without him. Heck, he'd probably push more missions into ground-combat with my luck!

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 10:19PM (Unverified) said

I feel really bad for Roper. what if you were reading this about yourself? Do you think Bill Roper is responsible for the whole of all the games he worked on? And by the way there are a lot of great things about Champs. I personally love the visuals. It may be content light but as far as visuals it should make the artists at Blizzard cry. Champs may be light compared to wow but look at the time between when wow was released and now!! If cryptic had the same time and money as Blizzard champs would be a better mmo for sure. The character creator is amazing. The best I've seen.

So I think the game isn't a disaster. It could be better of course but I don't think Bill is and evil guy in a cloak making meat pies out of people and selling them to innocent players. Because that's how some people are making him sound.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 2:51PM Saylah said

It takes WAY MORE than one person to sink a ship. You wouldn't believe the utter stupidity tied to millions and millions of dollars I see flushed down the drain in corporations on a daily basis, while products fail and people lose their jobs. Whatever Roper's failings, the games weren't conceived, designed, developed or marketed alone. A whole product team, marketing team, corporation, etc. bought into a strategy and supported it. And if you see similarities in the shortcomings in CO and STO, which I've read people state, that should speak volumes that there is a problem at Crypic, that goes beyond Roper.

Posted: Mar 20th 2010 6:30PM Loki1 said

Roper is probably the person who invented the basic structure of WoW, the one that sees the player searching for exclamation marks and farm mob, and he put it into Hellgate, so obviously since he gave birth to such a disgrace to innovation in this genre, such an antichrist of gaming based on being a gear-whore, he's seen as the Devil.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2010 8:32PM (Unverified) said

Bill Roper never worked on WoW. Check the credits:

Posted: Mar 21st 2010 7:03PM Rialle said

I do not believe that the success or failure of any game rests solely on one person, so I doubt that Cryptic's problems are going to go away just by shuffling Bill Roper around. I don't think my knowledge of him is enough to even speculate on why everything he's been involved with post-Blizzard has been less-than-stellar.

Regardless of who in Cryptic would end up working on it, I hope that the NWN MMO rumors prove to be false. I do not believe they would do it the justice necessary to be a successful game. That being said, if the rumors are true, then I hope they prove me wrong. A well-done NWN MMO would be pretty awesome.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with offering a discounted sub rate. They are trying to attract players, and one way to sweeten the deal is to offer a good price point to players who sign up for multiple months. Why it is somehow not okay for Cryptic to do what Turbine has been doing for years? I doubt that the "cost" of having a player in CO or STO is significantly different than that of LOTRO or even WoW.