Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:22PM Dandmcd said

Great hands-on impressions, this seems to be more informative of an article then the SWTOR one from earlier. The combat definitely sounds interesting, and there is no doubt this will be another super pretty fantasy game, I just don't know if I can trust another game out of Korea to provide what I want in a fantasy MMO. If I can get into a nearly enough beta to spend some time in the game and see if the grind does not exist, I might stick with it, but I definitely won't buy at release. Word of mouth from Aion fanboys screwed me on that purchase, and it won't happen again.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 11:35PM Zantom said

@Dan

I agree with you there. I have bought Lineage 2 and Aion and just never could get into them. This looks like a good one (holy cow the chics are hot in this!), but if it is another Eastern MMO, I'll pass. I could just activate the other 2 I have and save me the box cost. I am hopeful, but I can't afford to throw money into a twenty minute stare affair with some hot chic in lingerie armor if that is all it has to offer. I like what I read on their website and this article, so I will see if I can get into a beta or wait for a trial. In today's MMO market there are just too many MMOs to keep me busy to be nail biting for this one to release.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:31PM Barinthos said

Wow, this game sounds fantastic. But "sounds" isn't the same as "is". I hope I can either get into a beta for the game or there's a trial for the game before I drop my hard earned cash on another lemon *coughaioncough*.

Posted: Mar 18th 2010 4:08PM Georgio said

OMG so that POS Aion was able to alienate not only its paying players (including myself) but all the other potential players of other future Korean MMOs. So Aion must be the "Best junk MMO at deterring people to play MMOs". I will also wait at least 3 months after release to see how Terra will perform in the western market before even considering it for playing. Thank's Aion for making me paranoid :)

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:34PM gildhur said

Although I hate non-targeted combat, this sounds and looks interesting. The spawn mechanic sounds like that's just what they had to do mechanically and made a lore explanation after the fact, but I could be wrong. I'll definitely check out beta later this year, though.

Posted: Mar 16th 2010 9:16AM ChromeBallz said

Actually, targetted combat is a technical limitation of MMO's more than it ever was a feature. It is far simpler to only calculate the distance between the player and a target in a 3d environment than it is to calculate the distance, direction, speed, etc etc like you would in a shooter, hence MMO's use targetted combat to ease on bandwidth and server load. Incidentally, the system also allowed the "casual" crowd to play much more efficiently because the skill cap was so much lower.

Non-targetted combat is, i think, the future, as targetted combat will mean in 99% of the cases that a game will pretty much play like any other MMO from the past 10 years. I would however want to see a mix of the systems, but never a "tab 1-9" game again.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:42PM Randomessa said

This game has almost the exact fantasy aesthetic I have been imagining since I saw my first fantasy art as a child. Seeing this game in images and motion makes me feel like now, finally, that art style can be realized without any concessions to processing power and desktop resolution, and that alone makes me want to find some way to fit this game into my "Must Watch" list.

Dreaming the world into existence, indeed.... (yes, I know that graphics aren't everything, but the rest of the game seems promising as well)

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:46PM postman said

good write up, i plan on keeping an eye on this one, hopefully they are able to acclimate to western audiences better than NCsoft did with Aion as far as content and grind are concerned. that could definitely be a deal breaker.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:47PM DotCom said

Awesome. I have high hopes for this game and I can't wait to try it out...

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:58PM Cirocco said

Hmm, combat appears intriguing...and with veterans from Blizzard, Microsoft, EA and NCsoft on-board, I hope the transition to a more Western-style of play pays off. Gorgeous graphics too. Well, at least this MMO has my attention.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 5:57PM ZenJitsu said

I'm looking forward to this game as well. Aion was impressive from a technical standpoint, but the art direction wasn't *quite* what I was looking for. TERA definitely is, and after seeing the 'Pegasus Travel' video on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe5f6qwplMg ), I'm psyched.

Nice update on the game, it's always good to hear hands-on opinions. The active combat sounds very interesting as well; certainly a step up from the mechanics in a majority of games nowadays.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 6:17PM Cirocco said

Thanks for the link to the "Pegasus Travel" video. Beautiful sprawling views and captivating music are wins in my book.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 6:08PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
Looks like its another "lets build in the box" attitude and just make another pretty MMO. I like the avatars, i like the prelim screenies, sadly what you folks reviewed make it a pass for me, why pay for a game, then pay a monthly fee when the mechanics are 15 plus years old?

The targeting sounds good, however Spellborn and a couple others had this style combat and it did not go over well (though i do prefer no lock on type mechanics) The hardcore pvp'rs and raiders NEED sticky targeting so their computer bank of one button presses and third party programs and macros work, without it they cant have their leetness, they would actually have to work, which isnt on any hardcore players list.

Levels? please. i suppose the dungeons are non scalable, there will be raiding, encounters will have one way to finish, quests will be fixed and repeatable. Same stuff, diffrent suit, nothing new.
------------------
With so much better talent out there, the powers that be do not want to release their stranglehold or simply leave the MMO biz because they want to remain "in charge". WIth the current crop of holier than thou devs letting in folks "they" see fit as acceptable, the MMO industry is more like a political insider trading company.

I found by speaking to some developers that independant SME's with the power to release or fire (my last job) a programmer or team lead for any reason is NEEDED more than ever today,in reference to any particular project, not the company they work for. For those that nneeded that explanation.

A developer that says we cant do this in the middle of development, wont give a reason as to why it wasnt addressed before the project started, and cannot or refuses to supply a solution AND take responsibility shouldnt be working period.

The devs that have their fingers and themselves chained to the merry-go-round of MMO companies further fuel the garbage being put out today. The point i am making is this, when one f'd up devs fails or the team fails they simply wait their turn in the stagnant dev pool after a game or company fails, only to be selected to another company and the garbage output continues.

There is a working program out that tracks sports coaches (male and female) and their performance across that coaches lifetime, it shows injuries to players during that coaches tenure, their budget, safety, etc. Many coaches do not like it for the obvious reasons. Perhaps someone needs to do the same with developers and the companies that support them, this would give the public solid info on what to buy and what not to. I am quite sure the devs would want no part of this either.

We can wish though (grin).

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 8:03PM alucard3000 said

thanx for the wall of text with over half of it having nothing to do with the game

you can please some of the gamers some of the time and none of them all of the time

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 8:58PM (Unverified) said

Well that was hilariously incoherent, even by Graill's low standards.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 6:17PM Lateris said

I am in such a great mood today.I have no idea what the game play will be like. But as far as eye candy goes it is lovely.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 7:04PM Wisdomandlore said

Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my list of games to watch along with FFXIV and SW:TOR.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 7:31PM Dumac said

It's definitely pretty. Although i find the female character models annoyingly sexed up. Doesn't matter...

I find it peculiar that two of ArenaNet's three founders left it after expressing such enthusiasm to bring forth a better Guild Wars after Eye of the North. I just wonder how that happened. Also, that Wyatt would be working on a subscription game after all of that talk of how subscriptions are bad. But i guess everyone can change their opinion.

I think ill give TERA a shot during beta to see if i like it, but, I'm not that excited about it.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 7:47PM Loki1 said

• Half a heart
I stoppped reading at "translating quest text".

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 8:00PM (Unverified) said

Well as i`ve read on the forums it seems that its in the closed beta so i guess it wont be available to the general public *any time SOON* so i guess i`ll have to wait and see. A really shame i cant try it