Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:21AM Dandmcd said

I would never break an NDA regardless of reason, it's a privilege to play these games for free during beta. No game pulls the NDA the day before release, so there is always plenty of time to discuss the pro's and cons and unique features of a game before it is available to be purchased.
Anything that would be so awesome that you would want to tell everyone probably has already been revealed, and anything that sucks will surely be talked about within seconds of NDA being dropped.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:31AM SgtBaker said

Economical indipendence.
So Massively, I'm in this beta.. gimme a call, 'k?

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:50AM (Unverified) said

A Klondick bar

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 2:09PM ultimateq said

Zing!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:59AM (Unverified) said

I'm sure almost anyone would if there was enough money involved. But I have to admit I am constantly surprised how rarely these things are broken. Has a beta tester ever been sued for breaking the NDA? I can't recall a single case. And if you live outside the US It would probably be practically impossible to try and enforce the agreement legally. I guess people just love their beta accounts too much to risk it :)

Or it's morality... nah... has to be accounts.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 9:00AM (Unverified) said

Why can't massively get it into their heads that APB has been in beta since October 09? ....

Beginning to think that Massively is unreliable.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 9:03AM Macabre 13 said

Nah, they're just adamantly foncused.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 9:39AM Interitus said

You forgot Lego Universe

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 9:39AM Ryze said

APB didn't just go into beta.. It's been in beta for awhile now.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 10:09AM Evy said

Nothing. I'm a bit of a stickler for rules. If I got into a beta, I wouldn't break the NDA. Never have, never will. If the game was truly foul and my friends were excited, I might try and get them to shy them away from it. But I would never talk about specifics.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 11:37AM J Brad Hicks said

I don't know that I would, at least not in writing. (I've shared info about games I was testing with a few non-gamer friends in casual conversation, people I both trusted to keep secrets and, more importantly, knew had no motive to blab.) Breaking NDA means never getting offered one ever again.

But if I had to construct a hypothetical, I would probably break NDA, and break it big, if I caught a company I was under NDA with engaging in unambiguous, outright, intentional fraud, either against customers or investors. If, for example, I saw in the news that a company whose software I was testing told investors in a conference call that the software was ready to ship and bug-free, when I knew that it was completely unreliable and unlikely to ship for months or more, I would almost certainly both go public and tell the SEC.

But I wouldn't break NDA just for what I considered well-meant but foolish optimism. I've had times when I was testing software when I could tell that the developers weren't listening to the testers, that they really thought the software was in better shape than it was; when they've said "we're going to ship next week" and I knew that if they did, they'd regret it. I don't go public at times like that because there's a difference between idiocy and fraud; I won't break a contract with someone, however informal, because they're an idiot, but I will break a contract with a fraudster.

I have nothing but contempt for people who break NDA just to show off that they know something.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 11:41AM Pingles said

Same as a few posters here: Why bother breaking an NDA?

I'm not one of those folks that has to run into a room and yell "OMG DID YOU HEAR WHAT HAPPENED TO..."

Let them work on their game and if they let you in for free to try it early be thankful and try to help squash some bugs.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:19PM dudemanjac said

I've seen plenty of ppl here who love nothing more than to break NDA and lie in the process.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:21PM aurickle said

The closest I've ever come was Star Trek Online.

First, beta testing in the game was not a privilege for many people -- it was something they paid a premium for through a long-term CO account. (And in many cases they weren't even playing CO anymore despite having bought that sub.)

Second, NDA dropped very, very late for STO. This should have been a big sign for people in and of itself.

Third, they were selling lifetime subs for STO before the NDA even dropped. In other words, taking people's money for a product that those of us in beta knew would disappoint a lot of people.

This third point was the one that caused me the agony. I didn't want to break NDA, but I also didn't want to see people getting bilked. I ultimately took the road of pointing out things that were public record such as how CO had launched with a dearth of content and STO was being released with even less development team. Or how the CO game engine resulted in horrible frame rates unless nVidia users rolled their drivers back by three WHQL releases, and STO uses the same engine. So I tried to instill caution by saying stuff that someone who wasn't in the beta COULD have found out for themselves with a little effort and research.

Although I have to admit that I couldn't take it anymore at one point. I went so far as to say, "No game has ever made me want to break NDA more than STO. I just wish it was out of excitement."

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:53PM Hothnogg said

I though it was common knowledge that APB closed its closed beat end of last year and its reopened not so long ago? SO i guess Massive are correct in saying what they say ;)

As for breaking a NDA, i guess i would to mates if they asked what i though about the game.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 1:20PM (Unverified) said

Hate to break this to ya... but only the beta test site for FFXIV went online. There's no client to download from what i've heard so really.. FFXIV does not currently have a playable beta client.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 1:57PM eyeball2452 said

1. NDAs are a sign that the developers are hiding something, especially as MMOs get closer to their release date.
2. I would comment on a game under NDA if the core mechanics are a lost cause. Yes, some things change through out the process, but if there are core problems with the design, then I'll probably start to say something.

Examples: Tabula Rasa, Stargate Worlds, Champions Online

It was very clear that those games were not going to be a success. The worst part in terms of TR and CO is that they both thought big names and advertising would solve the problem. Stargate Worlds just never got of the ground.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 2:11PM ultimateq said

I'd talk with RL friends about it face to face, invite them over to see it, try it, etc. But I wouldn't go making forum posts about it.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 3:17PM Lobotomist said

I would break NDA in the moment i recognize company aims to false advertise the product.

For instance if I was in closed beta for STO. And Cryptic offered lifetime subscriptions before anyone seen or played the game (outside of beta)

I would speak out to warn people.

And I tell this to all "rule sticklers"

When the time comes which side will you chose ?

Side of big corporation

or side of your fellow gamer ?

And another question

If you are the one fallen to false advertising. Would you not appreciate being warned before ? Or are you happy with the fact that you have been cheated by a big corporation ?

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 3:23PM Faryon said

I would never go around and make forumposts about a beta with NDA, but I might tell some RL friends something about it.. Specially if the game seems like a lost cause, then I would warn my friends to stay far away from it. Ofc if the game is awesome I would recommend it to my friends.