Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:57PM Graill440 said

Expanding uiverse, so um, what were we supposed to see? expansive free range galaxies? playable races whose borders are in or out of conflict? dynamic missions, scalable? the list goes on but you get the picture.

Playable species? are you serious? so that and the off duty clothing is what the howling masses want? gimme a break.

I saw nothing in that video with the ability to make me consider subbing.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 2:24AM Ingrod said

And new PvP areas, PvP Wargames for Federation, a new Klingon ship, exploration cluster for Klingons, etc...

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 6:26PM Tovrin said

Graill. Don't you ever get sick of posting negative comments on STO stories? Every single story I read, there you are posting something that makes me think Cryptic killed your dog. If you don't like it, then just leave it be.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:14AM Saker said

Three new races, Tellarite, Pakled and Rigelian? Made me laugh. Really couldn't someone come up with better!? The Pakled's were in a single next generation episode, and well they're kinda fat retards basically, I know I'm just dyin to play 1 of them!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 3:28AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Oh yes those guys.

Well, they were in a few DS9 as well, but you're right, big, fat, bald, bushy eyebrows. A very enticing race to play >.>

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 4:31AM Interitus said

No kidding they picked the race that replied "Teeth are for chewing." when told "You're now armed to the teeth.". See, Cryptic does have a sense of humour.

Sad that the races were added to the store. And they wonder why people feel they are trying to nickel and dime them.

And they seriously need to just redo all of DS9.. it looked like it was slapped together over a weekend.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 6:13AM Greeen said

at least respec is coming. and new character slots (of course via c-store....)

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 7:54AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Cryptic could turn you PC into a replicator that spits out gold and you people would still be pissed it wasn't platinum...

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 2:43PM Bezza said

• 1 heart
Don't worry BadgerFiend, massivly is known as a haunt for the infamous one eyed race of anticryptics. There is sure to be a mission to exterminate this vile plague soon!

New ships looked very nice muhaha!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 2:50PM (Unverified) said

PC could turn you people into a replicator that spits out gold and Cryptic will be pissing platinum

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 6:31PM Tovrin said

Yup. I long for the day that these trolls get bored .... or some other game comes out that is their new anti-christ.

Posted: Mar 16th 2010 6:22AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Wow I got greyed out to the max for that comment :) I have had my greyed-out cherry popped! .... giggety?

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

lots of eye candy but no new gameplay? pitty. STO is so shallow it could use some gameplay.

ps. adding new aliens is the cheapst way to add "content" - some guys will prolly realy roll again and play all the shit again!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:30AM (Unverified) said

OK I concede that the gameplay is exceedingly shallow - lack of choice in terms of mission structure, god-awful crafting system and some suspect design choices. For example the death penalty being 15 secdonds before respawn. In PVP perhaps yes, you want it to be fast exciting and frantic but in PvE? The challenge is drained completely out of any mission.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at Eve levels of punishment but something like LotRO would be fine - lose up to a third of your life that you cannot "heal" for 5-7 minutes dependant on rank (like being in for repair??). Sometimes it's good to take a knock, retreat and actually THINK about how one might succeed next time.

Then again Cryptic might go for the Allods style and have us buy "potions" (outfitting crew?) that would remove this damage almost instantly from the C-Store ;)

Ooops I ranted again... Sorry!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:17PM dudemanjac said

"A new Federation vs. Klingon ground assault map ("Shanty Town") will do nothing for the diplomatic relations between the two factions, but should be fun nonetheless. Season One also will bring new fleet actions, new skills, and even a new Klingon ship -- the K'Tanco Battle Cruiser (or, if you will, the "Del'Taco Battle Cruiser")."

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 4:20PM (Unverified) said

A new ground map and fleet actions - this shows that cryptic do not understand the core concept of "content" in an MMO. For me, content is new gameplay - not more of the same in diferent color.

Remember the old days? When an expansion used to add new continents, new classes, TONS of new items and TONS of new storylines into the game?

"Common Ground" sounds more like an emergency patch in relation!

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 5:14PM dudemanjac said

Well there's your problem. You keep thinking of it as an expansion. It's an update. A content patch. Some would say it's stuff that should have already been there. You want an expansion, you shouldn't be looking for it less than 2 months after release. Klingon ships are geting another ship and more customization (depite the fact that they historically have very few models). Fleet actions and skills? All patch stuff.

Take it for what it is. A free update.

Posted: Mar 25th 2010 5:38PM Valdamar said

Eye candy? The screenshot on this article was poorly chosen then - being able to play an alien grandma with deformed sausage fingers is hardly the kind of thing that would tempt me into playing STO :p Are the other two new races equally hideous?

I will admit the spaceships look quite spiffy, though - but then the ships have always been the only thing I like about Star Trek.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:15PM yeppers said

Were people really wanting another playable faction? I find that hard to believe. As someone who is on the sidelines watching this game -- hoping for the Star Trek I know and love to emerge -- another playable faction was probably the last thing I was hoping for in their 1st content update.

Maybe this is all foreshadowing to the 1st expansion "STO: The Character Creation System Strikes Back"

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 3:10PM AyAitch said

Well that's good, because a new playable race isn't in this first content update.

WRUP: You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Posted on Dec 27th 2014 10:00AM