Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

This great! Kudos to Turbine for making such an awesome game, im loving the fact i could just subscribe for a few months then buy all the end game and not have to worry about it anymore, now i can play on my own time :)

My Short review:

Its Fun!
This game is truly special, its based on the game that invented the RPG genre so its quite complex and evolved which adds a lot of depth to it, it plays like an action game and every quest is unique and has its own instance exclusive to the party.

Its Deep!
It has an amazing class customization system that allows the mixing of 3 different classes to make totally unique player builds. Its only got 20 levels but it has an rank system that adds class benefits in between and its almost the same as if it had 80 levels or more.

Its simple!
Its a party based PvE game that doesnt have wide open spaces so theres no need for travellng, which makes it much easier to just go in, play a quest for 30mins, or a raid in 1h30ms and log out.

Its beautiful!
Especially with directx10, but it can run on practically anything in the minimum settings, even my aspire netbook can run it!

And its Free!

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 5:52PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
You sound like a turbine employee. The game is far from free in any respect.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 6:32PM (Unverified) said

And you Graill, sound like you dont know what you are talking about, a simple research on the ddo.com website and forums can prove you wrong.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 2:07PM Cinnamoon said

• 1 heart
How do you figure they've "set the standard" when plenty of hybrid F2Ps predate it, and one has several million players (GW) and is so successful they're making a sequel with exactly the same model -- to say nothing of eastern MMOs with that model? Come on. I'm glad they turned their "game" into something profitable, I am, I have a soft spot for Turbine and I love AC and LOTRO, but let's tone down the hyperbole.

The really problematic part is that the game itself is pretty bad. It's pretty obviously a testing ground for cool stuff they want to put in LOTRO, and you can't take two steps without having your immersion stripped away and being reminded about the DDO store. I'm not sure there's much Turbine can do really -- they're saddled to the D&D system, which is awful itself, and no one has really successfully translated it to a video game that's actually FUN to play.

Well don't take my word for it, it's free, go see for yourself.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 4:31PM (Unverified) said

DDO is the testing ground for LOTRO? Seriously? I've played both games to cap; and they can't be more different in my opinion. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, as that is a matter of taste. Both are quality games.

D&D system is awful? It isn't perfect, but it certainly has set the standard for RPGs for the last 30 years.

I've been playing DDO since headstart. The game has changed so much in the last 4 years that players who tried it early in its history will not find the same game today. I've tied many, many MMOs and DDO offers the most complex and rich combat mechanics I've seen in any MMO. The ability to customize characters adds a lot to replayability. LOTRO doesn't offer anything like this in their game.

Yes, they advertise their store and market themselves on the load screens. That is how for profit companies operate. Not sure how your getting loadscreens every 2 seconds?

Ultimately, if you like deep, complex gaming DDO might be for you. It is heavily instanced to create a deep experience for a small party. If you like games were you can get a drink and sandwich in the middle of combat, maybe this game isn't for you...

Go Ruby! Please say more on the podcast about DDO, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game. I left GWars a long time ago for DDO myself.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 5:50PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
The laughability in this article is great, and so misleading, these are the facts.

The DDO game is restricted, if you dont pay, you dont play, no matter what they state otherswise, your hamstrung as a free to play and it is VERY restricted, which results in boredom quickly.

You pay for access to "premium" dungeons? You pay for access to "premium" areas? Let me clear the air about premium, it simply means the majority of game area is closed of to include leveling. You pay for access to better gear in both drops and dungeon play. You pay for better henchmen. you pay to not be bored with the FTP model. You pay to level.

The data that was shown is old stuff, a spike when they went FTP and then it went down just as quickly, this kind of spin is what politicians use to make their numbers look good, DDO/Turbine is doing the same exact thing.

Free to play? hardly. sounds like a bunch of "ignorance with intent" wrote this article.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 7:00PM (Unverified) said

The only thing laughable is the weakness of your arguments.

Roughly a third of the content is completely Free, and its very easy to get points by playing to buy an adventure pack that gives access to end game loot, quests and three raids.

Henchmen is a convenience purchase, the game is totally playable without those, convenience items that increase loot drops are completely optional and frankly, not that useful as the best way to get equipment is in the auction.

And guess what, There was never any need to pay to level, all you had to do was get a sigil of leveling as a quest reward, for free. Now even that isn't needed anymore, as it says in the article.

The data that was shown is so recent in fact, that a simple google search can attest to it, or a search in this site even.

After 6 months, the F2P model allowed for 1 million new players to try the game, and so many of them stayed that a second new server had to be opened to support them.

The in game population is greater than ever, the subscritptions doubled and the revenue went up by 500%, these are all Facts, that anyone who plays the game can see for themselves.

All the game content can truly be unlocked for free, there is even a guide in the forums showing how to do that: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198865

It Is boring, and requires intense playing because this is an AAA game, and it gives the option of paying because frankly, this is a business. You also seem to have missed the part where it was said in the article that the totally free option is more like an unlimited trial.

The DDO store is much better than most eastern MMOs where you have to pay to get anything done and even come close to the end game. And its nothing different than Guild Wars, where you have to pay for the game and all expansions, in DDO you can pay for access to the content, or not, just keep doing free quests until you can get enough points for Free.

I am a veteran player of the game, yeah, but nothing i said is false, unlike you, who certainly doesn't know what you are talking about.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 7:12PM (Unverified) said

Hah. Then tell it to me, who only paid for Guild Charter for our official guild (as I'm a creator of Polish D&D Online Portal) and never need to pay after that.
Here's my site: http://www.ddopl.com/

Yes, I never spent any money after that, have 4 characters and have a blast with the game : ). And still plenty of content before me, as I know how to earn Turbine Points for free (which is very simple).
Of course, if I had more money - and when I'll have it - I'm going to spend it on many great things, which I miss from when I had a subscription. But no, I don't feel "limited" at all.
Though I still know I'm a contributor to Turbine's game, as our site has made them probably hundreds of paying clients.

This is 100% honest post. If you believe Turbine would pay anyone to post any opinions, then maybe it's time to consult a... uh, time to rethink it, anyway. Sorry, but it's one of the silliest beliefs in MMO community and I see it still lives...

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 1:37AM (Unverified) said

Strange that you claim that DDO isn't free, but oddly anyone can play and unlock the premium content without paying, there are even guides on the ddo forums for this.
Guess you've done some research about ddo and how turbines freemium model works, and got the wrong conclusions. Try a little more next time

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 10:56PM (Unverified) said

Too bad DDO is not more open world like LOTRO.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 11:53AM Crode said

So I have been playing DDO for a week now. I threw down $20 to start so could play a monk and some points. I played though quite a bit of the free content is was getting kind of dull being always the same looking creatures and maps. Always the same looking sewer and warehouse maps with lots of crates to smash. I picked up a few of the low level adventure packs (the ones on sale) and these are MUCH newer and more fun. So really it is a must to buy these adventure packs if you want to seriously play the game.

All the dungeons (instanced) have a difficulty rating of solo, normal, hard, elite, epic. This allows you to play yourself or with a full party so its a great group game.

Problem about the adventure packs is there are so many of them and to buy them all you will spend A LOT of money. I am now up to $40 of points to pay for most of the adventure packs up into the level 5 range (level 20 is max). After talking to people, I realized that I might as well spend $15 a month for full VIP access since the pay for points is just way too expensive to keep up. VIP also gives you 500 points a month too.

I love the complexity of the characters skills, feats, enhancements. The combat is the most complex around. You can seriously gimp your character when creating it. There are ways to fix a character but they either cost $ or items that are rare.

The intro quest line is quite good when you group up with the small party of NPCs to get to the first public area. As most MMOs, it does not teach enough though to prepare you for the game.

Their auction system really sucks. The economy, gold and platinum prices are pretty screwed up.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 1:36PM (Unverified) said

Nope, you just haven't left Habror soon enough : ). You can even kill a Beholder in a very long quest, or go on a Raid, it's all free content.

Also, there are outdoor quests like Irestone Inlet, accessible from Harbor, and Cerrulean Hills, where apart of exploration there are 2 "open air" quests.

The same for Searing Heights. You could also consider going to fight some rust monsters, undeand and earth elementals in House Deneith, or go hunting undead to House Jorasco. There's also a big "open air" / dungeon quests, Redwillow's. Very fun, there are many hobgoblins and trolls. And watch out for giants ; ).

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 1:45PM (Unverified) said

Uhh, sorry for typos, wrote it too fast (I'm pretty busy).

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 12:00PM Crode said

Oh I forgot about the graphics. Character customizing is very low. Characters are very low poly. Your body armor determines what you wear. boots, belts, bracers, gloves do not show. Helm does show but most are ugly. Everything else looks quite decent with everything on ultra high settings. Newest adventure pack content has the highest quality of all.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 11:59AM aurickle said

Here's an article written by someone who played from levels 1-7 without paying real-world money: http://www.massively.com/2009/12/09/choose-my-adventure-goodbye-eberron/ They were very specific at the outset that the only cash shop items they could buy had to be purchased with points earned in-game.

Incidentally, this was done before a game update where Turbine added more free content. Of course, that was high level content, which the author of the article wouldn't have been able to reach in the time allotted. But the point is that there is plenty of proof around that this game has enough content that you could play to the end without spending a dime.

If you believe that all content should be available for free from the very start with no effort (beyond the act of leveling) OR money required to unlock access to it then you might as well be living in fairyland. Companies do not spend millions of dollars to develop and maintain a game with no expectation of profit. Capitalism is the lifeblood of the MMO industry. If you want quality, you're going to have to pay for it. DDO is being a bit different because you actually can avoid paying for it by working for it instead.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 10:09PM (Unverified) said

Well, I tried to play D&D online, but my main gaming system, I couldn't get D&D online to install on it without tinkering around for some reason. Oddly I had the same issue with LOTRO. Well, not the same exact one, but the installer just killed my interest.

Perhaps they've fixed their installer by now, but I would have to make a willful effort to try it. And that's because I'm more into 4th edition of regular D&D now, and AFAIK, DDO is still based on the 3.5 ruleset with changes to make it work better for an MMO...so I'm a bit disinclined to give it a shot.

Maybe I'll work up the desire tho.

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

I'm a big fan of the game, joining shortly after they released the free to play option. Prior to this, I refused to play a MMO because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee. The free part of DDO grabbed my attention, and I spent an entire month, playing numerous hours a week, playing completely free. So, many of the posters here are wrong. The game is as free as you want it to be. Eventually I paid some money because I believed that the game deserved my support.

So I have purchased some Turbine points to open up some new quests. But you know what? Now I own those quests. I can leave for 6 months, paying nothing at all, and come back whenever I want and I still have those quests. No more worrying about not playing enough to get my $15/month worth. IMO, this is the best MMO model out there. I'm never going to touch another MMO unless they use the same model as DDO.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014