Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:10PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
[quote]If you haven't been feeling a ball of growing excitement in your tummy over Black Prophecy's development (over four years at this point), then we feel pity for you. [/quote]

hyped, over developed dribble that gets pushed down my throat as the "hot new thing" because it was developed over a long period of time, promised feature set that is over zealous and mechanics that just end up going back to that same ol' same ol' tired grind to level system. Every single game in the last 4+ years I have gotten excited about has bitten me in the butt when I actually go down to play it and half the features are missing or broken or its a rehash of another "mmo" with a different skin.

Long gone are the times for this solo traveler of the MMO blogosphere, jumper of genre's, Magic Dragons fire flinging RPG world conqueror getting "excited" until I have the finished, and stable product in my hand.

...and no, I am not bitter. At all.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:49PM postman said

yeah you should take a break Korz. Maybe spend a few months playing through the top 10 of the 200 best single player games of all time or something like that.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:12PM Thac0 said

Looks great, but isn't this F2P? After the whole Allods thing (which is still overpriced at its new reduced price btw) I'm a bit apprehensive to get excited about a F2P game again.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:50PM Chriskovo said

Umm shouldnt dog fighting manuevers be based on your own skill not on some dumb adrenaline bar? I mean if you know some dog fighting moves how does the game restrict you if you need adrenaline to do it? Seem kinda lame.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

I'm picturing it's adding a bit of a 'fighting game' element to it, where you can't just twitch game the whole time to win, you're forced to use a little bit of timing, strategy and capacity management to get the most out of your gameplay.

I don't think it detracts from the engagement or skill factor, timing is just as important as aim and twitch when it comes to stuff like dogfighting, so I'm hoping it'll work out.

I'd still like to see it in action, though. But this is a game, not a flight sim, I'm okay with a degree of abstraction.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

"..each part of the ship has its own HP, and can be targeted independently. So if your weapons get hit enough, they will blow off of your ship and you won't be able to attack."

Hrm.. whilst the idea of being able to disable specific ship systems initially sounds good (in terms of depth of play), I wonder how it will pan out?

I mean, there's no fun to be had in a game that's simply all about who can target and destroy the others weapons first.

What do the game's combat mechanics give you, to try and avoid that?
And what actually happens when your weapons are gone? (Do you have to sit there and wait to be blown up? Do you attempt 'repair' them then and there? Or do you 'warp' out, if that's possible in combat?)

I'd really like to know more, because otherwise a game mechanic like that can make everything else superfluous, devolving every combat situation into a single-focused race to 'shoot out the guns'.

More info pls =)

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 2:31PM (Unverified) said

Not to reply spam, but aside from some homing missles, most weapons still need to be manually aimed. So while it would be a strong strategy to take out weapons and engines first, you still need to have the sharpshooting skills to do it.

This isn't a target and hit hotkey 1 kind of game.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 8:51PM dudemanjac said

You should check out the forums. We started a whole big thread asking those exact questions from the very start. I think I will swing by there and necro it... just for you ;)

I will say this though, if you look at the video, I don't think you have anything to worry about, nobody is going to be able to target specific sub-systems at the speeds ppl will be flying. In any case, I hope it is a temporary disable or weakening like... STO *ducks*

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 10:03PM dudemanjac said

Here you go. This is one of them at least.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 10:33PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the replies guys (and the thread necro, Dudemanjac!).

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:09PM (Unverified) said

I've been following this title recently. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I even signed up for the closed beta. I love EVE, but I miss the old Freespace/Xwing/Wing Commander joystick days. This could be right up my alley!

The only thing I read that was a bit of a downer is that crafting/economy isn't going to be one of the primary focuses of the game. I think crafting would add some much-needed depth to a FPS combat-oriented game. It gives you something to do when you feel like playing, but don't feel like yanking-and-banking. One of the biggest turnoffs for me with DDO is that it has no crafting and only lip-service support for the auction house (no search feature?!?). If this game is taking a similar route, then it'll be one like DDO, that I enjoy for a couple of months and move on.

The implementation of the cash shop sounds good. I would also like to see a hybrid subscription model offered, like DDO. I tend to play games intensely, so I like the VIP pass of a subscription while I'm playing. If the game has depth, I continue to subscribe. If not, I like the option to taper off to a F2P model and occasionally throw money at the cash shop for niceties.

Regarding hype, I tend not to get hyped over games and promises much these days. I've been burned, too. But I won't judge this game before I've actually played it. I'll give it a chance.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 5:50PM halfcaptain said

nice comment, easy rhino. that's sarcasm-free. as a comment, it's a contribution and a good read.

plus, i agree with you. f2p is a warning sign, in my experience anyway, but 'paying for niceties' as you put it is a good way to keep casual players interested enough to consider a re-sub, while putting a damper on enterprising dudes in china from running a space money farm. That said, EVE online's PLEX system is another interesting approach, but it's also problematic.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:09PM Lateris said

I do like how the UI is shaping up. I am very interested in the game play and full functionality of this game. I did not expect it to be a sandbox which is fine. Eve fulfills my sand boxy needs. To me it reminds me of guild wars but in space. But the option of being a gunner in a multiplayer battle cruiser sounds like a lot of fun for me, while a pilot flies the ship.

I hope there is plenty of PvE content but I think this studio is more geared towards PvP due to the Neocron game. Well time to sign up for their community and find out the details that we all want to know. 

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:39PM Stormwaltz said

"a few quick stick maneuvers (like "right, left, left" or "up, up, down, down") to execute one of these stunts"

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A?

I admire the idea they're reaching for here - hotkey-toggled MMG-style abilities that don't require you to take your hands off the stick - but I think this is going to feel very clumsy in practice.

(Anyone else try to play Lord of the Rings Conquest on a PC? LMB-click, LMB-click, LMB-click, mousewheel-click, mousewheel-click, RMB-click? God, what an awful port that was.)

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:40PM Seare said

I'd like to see more screen shots of the fighters. I want to see how customizable these fighters are. If they are fugly, then that will turn me off. I want something sleek, not boxy and ugly. Hopefully, I'll get into beta.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 8:56PM dudemanjac said

As far as I know these are all ingame graphics.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:45PM Scuffles said

Yeah here is hoping they don't go pulling an Allods

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:53PM Epiny said

My biggest concern oddly enough is how restricted the first person view is compared to the 3rd person view. I want to fly inside my ship to give the feeling of really being their but if it gimps my overall view to much I'm going to be forced into 3rd person view.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

This is starting to look a lot like SWG (the space part of it), just without the crafting.

Without gravity - dogfighting is simply flying circles around each other - with the ship that can fly a tighter circle, faster, winning.