Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:24AM (Unverified) said

As much laughter and sheer amazement Smart has provided me in the past, he seems to want to make Alganon a decent MMO rather than just another WoW clone, and for that, I applaud his work. Whether or not things will work out the way he hopes, that's a different story, but he seems to have a grasp on the situation.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:25AM (Unverified) said

I like this no bullshit talk. More please. :)

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:28AM whateveryousay said

Now those are the kind of statements I like to hear in these situations. No vague, paragraph long speeches that dance around the issue at hand and leave you feeling like a lot was told but nothing was actually being said. Hopefully Derek can live up to his words and the game will have an actual chance at being something instead of another cheap knock-off that failed.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:29AM Barinthos said

Sounds like Smart knows how to play ball. I'm glad there isn't yet another attempt at matching the WoW paradigm but instead forging it's own niche in the market.

I'll be looking forward to giving this game a shot once the dust has settled.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Love or hate Smart...gotta like his bluntness.

/popcorn

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:50PM MewmewGrrl said

I disagree there. I don't got to like his bluntness. He's actually very unprofessional. THIS TIME it happened to work out, but he's like this all the time, and other times when he doesn't need to be. He's also a self admitted Troll. He likes pissing people off and causing trouble. He has said this himself. There is something called professionalism and courtesy which Derek Smart is totally lacking. So no, I absolutely do not like his bluntness. For this game what he is saying and doing has to be done for it to have a chance to survive but I still don't respect the way he speaks/writes at all.

As a side note, this quote seems to sum him up extremely well: "Derek Smart has a long reputation of releasing buggy, unfinished games and then screaming at anyone who calls them things like 'buggy' and 'unfinished'." Hearing Derek Smart say a game shouldn't have been released yet is funny, considering the state his games have been released in in the past.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:33AM Holgranth said

I hope we all grasp the significance of this. This is the SECOND time David Allen has been fired from a company he founded. The first time was with Horisons, he made a lot of drama about how people, "didn't recognize his genius" and how David Bowman and James Jones had skrewed him and his game over.

Jones and Bowman kept thier mouths shut. Derek Smart obviously did not.

I have been a critic of both David Allen and Alganon from the first day I played Beta. I thought the game was unfinished, unpolished, buggy and an utter rip off of WoW.

I also thought that David Allen was a concieted egotist with absolutely NO idea what he was doing. (See the interviews he did here on massively.) The fact that he thought that recreating WoW's interface and mechanics down to the letter would magically make a good game should have been more than enough proof that the guy was out to lunch.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:37AM (Unverified) said

Lol, the entire idea of bringing in Derek Smart as your fixer is hilarious. As someone who has been following (and burned) by his antics since the beginning, I wish those of you that play Alganon luck, but don't get your hopes up.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:12PM (Unverified) said

Watch out. You critiqued him, so now he's coming to get you!

Yay, a real live Derek Smart!

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 11:52AM Pitt said

looool i thought they ran this guy outta town....

he's back lmao

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:00PM Tom in VA said

Smart's comments are refreshing but, alas, Alganon itself still interests me not at all. I'll keep an eye on it, however, to see what happens.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:02PM wjowski said

Entertaining yes, but will a good game come of it?

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:07PM breezer said

Weeee! Love this Alganon drama roller coaster ride!

Best MMO for Drama since Vanguard!

In fact, I think David Allen and Brad McQuaid should combine their powers and make an even more impossibly uninspired fantasy game. This time they'll get it right! The FAQ says so!

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:07PM EvaliaMagic said

>Derek Smart

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This game is DOOMED

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:09PM ed511df3 said

I personally don't have a problem with Mr Smart. Whether or not his hiring was good for Alganon, I don't know. I do know that the previous policies were utter rubbish, however. Alganon was a second rate game built specifically to cash in on a flooded market. That was never, ever denied except by the fans. David Allen admitted to it. Hell, he considered that a selling point to the game. It's just plain better for all involved that his ass got kicked to the curb. Derek Smart may not be a better choice in the eyes of current fans due to this past, but he is saying all the right things. And he seems to have the power to actually make these changes. So in my book, that tells me he should be given a chance to do what he thinks is right for the game. And maybe, just maybe, Alganon will profit by it.

For the first time since closed beta, I'm actually considering playing this game just to see where it goes. And I doubt I'm the only one.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:21PM Pingles said

For those who enjoy entertainment I suggest researching Derek Smart's history in the gaming world. He is one fascinating creature.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 12:47PM Randomessa said

Consider me and my partner +2 gamers who just became more interested in Alganon since these new developments. I played Alganon during beta and wasn't terribly won over, but IF Smart can put his money where his mouth is, I'd be willing to contribute to his vision with a purchase or two.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:01PM Dranaerys said

Wow, Derek Smart is behind Alganon? I did not know this. This explains many things. I dislike the man with a passion. Good to see life has dealt him the deck he deserves.

Good luck digging yourself out of this grave, Derek.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:04PM Dranaerys said

Good luck digging yourself out of this grave, Derek.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 1:13PM pcgneurotic said

The man Smart is alright in my book. He's got history, and he's got character. My money's on him making Alganon into something good again. Get on the interview bus Massively, I want more of this!