Posted: Mar 11th 2010 5:42PM Greeen said

Interesting thoughts and comments.
Reminds me of the pharmaceutical business - most researchers are there with a passion and do their best to make a difference; it also costs a fortune and 10-15 years to get something to the market and usually the main perception is that all are crooks that are just in it to make money.
Well, it's the company is such, a result of the stock-market very often. they have to make money to keep stock-owners happy, but also to finance the research.
Society is weird. And all of us are a part of it....

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 5:47PM pcgneurotic said

Nice, nice interview. Interesting to hear how they feel about all the hate.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 5:47PM DevilSei said

• 1 heart
"I think the thing that disappoints me is this perception that we sit around and purposefully try to come up with something to screw our players."

Does it disappoint him because everyone doesn't know it, so its just a "perception"?
Cause he could of fooled me, the cryptic store is a great example of nickel-and-diming double-dips, the idea of trying to force players to pay for much needed end-game content really pushes it, and well... I'm sure there's other things as well.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:06PM (Unverified) said

No surprise they marginalize the people that are unhappy with their service, designs and overall game deployment. Maybe they should listen to those who played and left HGL and CO before they rolled out STO.

Roper also goes onto the we are just guys who love to write games line. If that were the main reason, they would deliver better games. He is a guy who worked on really good games at Blizzard and never translated that success again. My guess is he was not the talent that made Blizzard successful.

CO and STO aren't completely his fault as he walked in on those games, but he is quickly becoming the M Knight of Video Games.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 11:54PM Eamil said

Just to point out, Roper didn't touch STO.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:07PM jpkustra said

Screw Cryptic. If they actually listened to feedback they could avoid a lot of problems in the first place. They do things without actually learning what people want. They go ahead and do something and then wait till people scream loud enough about what they didn't want in the first place. They are horrible and they make horrible products.
Any company who fails to research the market and trends deserves their fate of low subs and a slow death due to lack of content.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:08PM (Unverified) said

The thing that disappoints me is Bill Roper downplays his role in every one of these scenarios, and tries to reinforce the fact that he's "a gamer." Which, im pretty sure by now, is an insult, and a slap in the face to any REAL gamer on the face of the planet.

Gamers simply dont nickel and dime each other like the above posters said. They also don't do such questionable tactics as make people pay for lifetime subscriptions BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN SEE THE GAME?

Also, lets not mention the fact that CO and STO retail boxes are going for HALF PRICE not even 2-3 months after release.

How can Roper actually sit there and try to justify himself?

This guy seriously pisses me off every time he opens his mouth.

PS Bill: Hellgate Tokyo is coming out, and I bet that's still better than STO or CO.

Lololol @ you.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:23PM Interitus said

"A lot of people who post are like, "I'm going to be totally vocal and outrageous!" Instead of going "I wish you guys would do that"

F*CK YOU! I was in closed beta for STO. Every single one of my suggestions was polite and offered various ways you could try and improve already exsisting mechanics. People in closed beta were beyond polite and still got ignored. Everyone recognized there was serious issues with the game and were suggesting everything under the sun to get the game in decent shape. Everyone in CB wanted the game to do well. But Cryptic did nothing to enhance the game, they fixed bugs but never responded to adding content and making the game engaging. The only thing you gave us was updating the sector map from terrible to lousy.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 7:15PM Ringu said

• 1 heart
Why do you think he was talking about you when he said "A lot of people who post", not "Every single person who posted"...?

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 8:52PM Interitus said

Read my post, I said the entire beta community was polite. And it angers me because he is suggesting that the frustration from the community is only hindering the games development. Back in CB we were polite, we were patient. We thought we would get the changes we were hoping for and those never showed.

He talks like the CB community treated them like trash when we treated them with the utmost respect. And all that respect got nothing fixed. And so people lash out, and they wonder why. Maybe if we had seen results in CB from polite and positive feedback there would be more of that today.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 11:59PM Eamil said

"He talks like the CB community treated them like trash "

Where does he refer to the CB community specifically?

He's referring to the community as a whole. And be honest, whether you like how he said it or not he's not wrong.

Posted: Mar 12th 2010 2:48PM (Unverified) said

I don't know, I was in the closed beta for STO too, and the CB forums were no less explosively neurotic as they are now in my eyes.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:27PM (Unverified) said

Completely hypocritical bullshit from these so-called 'gamers'.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 7:39PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
What makes it hypocritical?

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 8:28PM (Unverified) said

Mr Angry said on 7:22PM 3-11-2010
I agree, these guys do sound a bit smug, and I can only reiterate the point above regarding the feedback offered during STO closed beta. Cryptic went ahead and disregarded a lot of that, now they are not happy with the feedback they are getting, wonder why?

^ This

xslipperyx said on 6:07PM 3-11-2010

^ And this

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:43PM (Unverified) said

Maybe they should have taken notice instead being smartasses about it.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 6:50PM (Unverified) said

"We're just trying to make the best game we can make."

I actually believe this. What we see is, in fact, the best game they can make. And said game is only so-so good in some areas, and lacking in a lot of areas.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 7:10PM Tom in VA said

Interesting read. Unfortunately, they kind of sounded (to me, anyway) like they didn't care a whole lot about what their critics had to say, which doesn't bode well for the future of STO, in my opinion -- unless something changes.

I am still on the fence about trying STO; the interview here just made me want to keep waiting a little longer.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 7:22PM Mr Angry said

Talking of throwing people under a bus, isn't that what Cryptic did to the CO community manager for outlining the costs associated with the forthcoming xpac?

I don't think any of this is malicious, I just thing Cryptic are really good at making poor games. I don't think Cryptic exerting pressure on Massively to publish 'personal commentary' on individuals is going to change much, people are commenting on the games they produce and what they get as customers, and from Cryptic, that could be a whole lot better.

This whole MMO celebrity has backfired on nearly every occasion, Smed, McQuaid, Garriot, the tools who did Warhammer, the liar from Funcom, etc etc.

So Cryptic, listen to the fans you have left, promote their ideas and stop with the egotistical interviews. Once you fix your games and polish them up, then come back for the back slapping and high fiving.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 7:33PM (Unverified) said

"A lot of commenters on this site are very harsh on Cryptic. What are some of the things you wish people could see that you guys are doing in your studio that would make people change their minds about Cryptic?"

Wow, what a hard-nosed question. Why not just ask them how we are wrong for thinking that? I mean, is it any wonder that when they say something like this:

If a game comes out and it's not what the
players believed it was going to be, what
they think they deserve, what they were
promised -- the amount of rage associated
with that is kind of frightening, to be honest.

...we think they're complete retards? Of COURSE there's going to be fallout when you promise a game that you don't deliver and force people to decide on lifetime subscriptions. It's called "bait and switch" and it's illegal to do in a store.

Most games or companies don't inspire this much rancor. I think NCSoft is the closest, or maybe some F2P company, I don't know. Even Blizzard, as much as people hate it, most hate it because they played WoW for 3 years and it sucks now, or it ruined WAR or AoC or whatever.

At any rate, thanks for yet another article that exposes us as the tyrannic slavering hordes who just don't understand Cryptic, despite their consistently poor performance and behavior.

One Shots: Nowhere to hide