Posted: Mar 10th 2010 4:17PM DeadlyAccurate said

The US has 5 times the population of the next highest-spending country. In fact, the total population of the other six countries is still only two-thirds the population of the US (233 million versus 304 million (cite from Google public data: http://bit.ly/bOwBjA)). Are the per capita numbers about the same?

Also, 46 million Americans play MMOs? That seems a little high. Are they counting every subscription as a separate player? Because many of us have multiple MMO accounts (either active or inactive). I have two MMOs going on right now, and in the last year I've had about six different ones (excluding trials I tested and didn't subscribe to).

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 10:29PM (Unverified) said

the numbers are even more skewed...

USA has a population of 310 million now, and with a relatively young median age in their population at over 5 years younger than the 5 other countries mentionned, anything but numbers like this would strike me as strange...

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 4:37PM AlamoeJones said

Add Korea to that chart and 3.8 billion won't look so big.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:54PM (Unverified) said

Max is completely right.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 4:45PM Joshua Przygocki said

Kinda feel special... I contribute $15 dollars a month to the "Internet Addict" stereotype that is growing alongside being a "fat" country, being "lazy" and being "hippies."

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:21PM ployer said

I may be a Fat Lazy Internet Addict, but I am sure as hell no Hippie!

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 6:44PM alucard3000 said

lol woot I am a hippy now dam and I thought I would never get to indulge in the 60's ty ty ty

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:13PM (Unverified) said

The average mmo player subs to 2 mmo's at any given time I think is the accepted norm. 23 million players does not seem that far fetched when you consider the subscriber base of games like free realms, wow, lotro etc.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:20PM Eamil said

What I find hilarious is that Gamepolitics quoted another part of the survey, which summed up the results as finding that, on average, each gamer spends $15.10 a month on MMOs.

*headdesk*

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:24PM CCon99 said

Funny how the Direct Micro Transactions they're trying to force down US gamer throats has such a percentage. US market spends more on subs and clients than anyone, you would think the companies would just stick to that model and make more money.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 6:47PM alucard3000 said

not really hehe I have heard of micro transactions to amount toi 150-200 dollars so

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 5:32PM Graill440 said

This is an "old" poll in that it has been done by the same private company for years now and they will not release their methods or data origination. So with anyone not releasing methods on how they came on the info to make this report i dismiss it as garbage and opinion only.

To bad europe doesnt have a freedom of information act.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 6:41PM alucard3000 said

play the blame game sure

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 4:47PM Joshua Przygocki said

I lurv me sum stereotypes

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014