Posted: Mar 10th 2010 1:29PM Cinnamoon said

Had great fun during the weekend. Spent most of my time on my mid-level sonic/sonic and storm/dark defenders, with some other guildies. We played a few arcs written by a friend, and then did a lot of door missions, and made a crapload of money at Went's swapping old AE tickets for salvage. The rest of my time I admit I spent rolling new characters, customizing costumes and powersets, and plain screwing around. I didn't make the absolute most of the double exp, but I had a lot of fun.

Leveling up as a hero isn't so bad -- I usually go straight for three paper missions at 5 and 10, doing just enough to get the safeguard missions and two freebie travel powers. If that doesn't get me to 15, I will do a couple of AEs (since contacts in that range tend to be poorly designed.) At 15, though, it's straight to Faultline, which is a revamped and rewritten zone that just couldn't be better, and rivals the best stuff villainside. At level 15!

I didn't try DP, but a guildie had rolled one up and it looked amazing in use, and he said it was fun. The forum peanut gallery are a little ho-hum about the powerset, but then they're ignoring versatility and looking at straight DPS, as usual. Very glad there's no DPS meters for CoH!

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 2:31PM (Unverified) said

I'm quite happy with my adventures last weekend. First I got my long-forgotten Arachnos Soldier from 16 to 24 on Friday night, bumped 2 30-something scrappers up a few levels on Saturday, tanked a banner event, and got a Dual Gun/EM blaster to 21 on Sunday.

The weekend made me realise why I've stayed with COH for 5 years: Community. I jumped on the CO bandwagon, and since September, I've been playing that, but as cool as the system can be (most of the bugs haven't bothered me), there's a distinct lack of community.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 3:10PM bjooks said

Great column, Elliot.

During 2XP weekend I got my dual pistol toon to lvl 20, my Roman-themed toon moved from 34 to 35 and now can go to Cimeroa, and I got half-a-dozen other low level toons up 5 to 10 levels. Quite fun, and for a game which really encourages alt-ing, 2XP makes a lot of sense for everyone.

Dual pistols so far is goofy fun, with amazing animations outweighing the problems you nailed regarding Swap Ammo power. It was novel at first, but yeah... now I'm not using it much anymore. What I am doing is working to mitigate endurance because I love, LOVE using DP with ninja run on -- which is awesome!

I agree about the low levels of CoH vs. CoV, and I've pretty much adapted my own routine for the early levels heroside: I street-sweep toward the Hollows until around level 5, then go in and do the initial arc while street-sweeping there. After that, it's a jet-pack in KR, and usually by then I'm ready for Steel and the Midnighter arc. And oh yeah, I liberally sprinkle radio missions along the way.

For a long time I never played villains, but about a year ago I started for some reason (I think because I wanted a mastermind) and I've really been impressed with how much more interesting redside is. When I finally got around to exploring the northern islands in Nerva, or those first steps from the ferry and into Grandville... that made me remember those initial feelings of awe when I first started.

Knowing how much CoV improved over the initial hero zones, I can't wait to see what GR brings. And I too hope that someday they update the original zones and villains groups.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 3:38PM Haggs said

Unfortunately I was laid up most of DXP weekend because of a bad cold, but I did get some playing in on Sunday night. I joined a couple PUGs and got one of my villains from 19 to almost 25. They were really cool groups and made the experience a lot of fun.

Then our group got invited by a level 50 to the Rikti War Zone in an attempt at leveling quicker... but that ended up being a hilarious failure with many team wipes. It was an entertaining way to end the weekend fun.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 6:58PM J Brad Hicks said

Hit 49.8 on a human/dwarf form Peacebringer, well above my goal for that character, and dinged 50 a couple of days after 2XP in the next Hamidon raid. Now that I know how to play it, I continue to be more and more impressed with my Peacebringer, not just how versatile it is but how fun it is.

I had three other characters that I wanted to get up to level 22, to the level where you can begin to slot "real" (single-origin) enhancements, and because I was having so much fun on my Peacebringer, I didn't do so well on these. One of them, a pistols/kinetics corrupter like yours, I just gave up on. I discovered how much better the villainous content is years before you did, have played almost nothing but for the last two years, and am finally tired of it, for now anyway. So I went back to my lower-level hero characters of the weekend: a pistols/devices blaster that I did get to 22, a dark miasma/pistols defender that I got to level 17, and a human-form Warshade that I got to 16.

In terms of actual gameplay, I played it exactly the same way I always do: accept almost any task force invitation I'm offered through the Virtue United (VU2010) or Virtue LFG Alpha global chat channels, and otherwise solo story arcs. I didn't see a whole lot of evidence of people coming back for reactivation; I know that of the half-dozen people I know personally who used to play CoH, not a single one of them logged on all weekend. A couple of them had real-life issues, but the rest just keep on playing World of Warcraft because "that's where everybody is."

I was pleasantly surprised, for the second time in a row now (so I guess I should stop being surprised) how well the servers handled the increased load from existing players trying to play for 80 hours straight. The last round of server hardware and software optimizations have done wonders for the game; even under absolute peak loads, I saw no lag, no rubber-banding, no glitches at all. Smooth as silk.

Posted: Mar 13th 2010 8:48AM Relentless Waterfall said

I most definitely took advantage of double XP. I got my PB up 8 levels so he can run the weekly TFs with my supergroup, bumped my very first alt up another 2 levels so he can keep place with my wife's first alt, my Def healer up 3, and my Mastermind up 4.

Teaming was great and something was always going on.

As dual pistols dropped for early birds during the same weekend, it made for some wild team structures. Once, it was my mastermind (robots), another mastermind (zombies), and 6 corruptors with dual pistols. That team moved so quikly through the opposition that, by the end, we were simply trying to outpace on another to get to the bad guys first. And when zooming out to view the conflict from a distance, it was quite a lightshow to see everyone's powers going off in rapid succession.

Double XP is great and I always make time for it.