Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:04PM breezer said

"...twitch-based combat to keep things interesting"

Are you implying that EVE's controls/combat doesn't keep things interesting?! Because if that's what you're implying, then I, good sir, am going to have to agree with you wholeheartedly.

EVE without the click n watch combat? I'm interested.

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 7:20PM karnisov said

does sound interesting

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 8:10PM (Unverified) said

Have you tried Vendetta Online? There's a space MMO with Elite-style combat.

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:25PM Gaugamela said

Free-to-play in a game that has FFA PvP like EVE??
Mmmmm, i wonder what could go wrong with that?

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:44PM Saker said

Well if it's free can at least give it a look.

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:51PM (Unverified) said

Hmmm... no word about the game being made in Brazil?
/cry

www.taikodom.com.br

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:58PM urgan said

Has anyone here played this game? Is the UI better than EVE? Does the game make more sense?

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 8:31PM Scuffles said

I seem to recall Tabularasa tried some Enemy NPC invades friendly area stuff and as I recount the mechanic failed pretty hard.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 12:51AM (Unverified) said

Bane invasions (which subsequently meant you had to fight to get back your vendors , quest NPC's, respawn points, etc) was one of the best mechanics I've come across in an MMO.

It was really full-on action trying to reclaim a base.

I wish this idea would come to other MMO's.

Posted: Mar 15th 2010 9:18PM ZenJitsu said

Amana got that one right. TR's outpost takeover system was awesome: finally you could make a difference in an MMOG. If you helped to keep an outpost open and clear, people would have access to the NPCs there (resupply, equipment, respawn point, etc.). I remember some evenings I would join up with teams on offensives to retake outposts in regions just so people could turn in and get new missions.

The game does look dated and doesn't have near the requisite level of impressive sound effects for their weapons, but I am fascinated by a universe that moves on without you.

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 9:51PM dudemanjac said

I wonder why it would take until winter for this to come here. I didn't really see too much to impress me. Graphics seem a little dated and with out more to go on, that's all I can really judge. Can we play it even if it is over there?

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 10:48PM (Unverified) said

The game was launched 2008 here in Brazil.
You can play it in English on the Brazilian server:

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 10:51PM dudemanjac said

another reason I don't know why it will take so long. Have you played it? Is it any good?

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 9:52PM dudemanjac said

Is 2010 gonna be the year of the space shooter?, Black prophecy, Jumpgate Evolution and now this. I'm excited.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 2:58AM (Unverified) said

looks like fun. I will definitely give it a try.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 2:56AM Dread said

Shit..I BETA tested this about 3 years ago! It was a great game, gorgeous visuals and pretty decent gameplay. Best of all it was a real twitch space combat sim, rather than that dice rolling percentages crap from Eve.

The one and only reason I left the game was the pings from Brazil to Australia :( If they get some servers in the US I am there with bells on...nothing else, just the bells...

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 9:30AM (Unverified) said

The thing described with the pirates is exactly what happens in EVE in nullsec; with the sole exception the pirates are a player corporation, as well.

Though the arcade gameplay does look interesting. I don't mind EVE-s click-and-watch combat (there's more to it than at first sight seems, EVE doesn't get its kicks from making all kinds of rampant manoeuvres but of seeing your armour evaporating faster than a drop of water in the middle of the desert), but there are moments when I wished things would go just a little faster. Especially since I usually fly a frigate (battleships are just too slow :S).

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

Okay, you know what, I'm gonna give it a try. Seeing as the NA server is still in beta, I'll just play on the Brazilian servers for the time being (seems as if you can install the client in English, even though the servers are in Portuguese). I can only speak a bit of Spanish, so I hope the Brazilians will forgive me for not speaking Portuguese...

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 2:08PM (Unverified) said

The game does not follow the story presented in the books, became a fighting game online without goals or careers. It's like Counter-Strike only that space.
Good, but becomes tiresome.

Posted: Mar 17th 2010 7:28AM (Unverified) said

I got bored with the lack of decent ships in Taikodom. Fighters have nothing to mine with, nothing with a decent hold space anyway and miners have nothing to fight with. One you choose your profession, you're stuck with it.

Apart from upgraded versions of the same ship you already fly, there's no difference. You can't select Hot Shot as a profession and then train for Bomber ships or mining ships later like you can in Eve.

The visuals were nice but the gameplay sucked big time and even mining high end stuff, it was hard to make a living since the drop rate was abysmal.
| 1 | 2 |