Posted: Mar 7th 2010 12:15PM yeppers said

Funny... I was just checking STO's site. I keep checking over there for silver lining on the game I was most looking forward to in 2009. Instead I find Atari is selling the Digital Download and CO editions for $20 less now. I'm sure they need to draw more people into the game, but still... the wound is still fresh from the previous CO edition pricing SNAFU. Their "apology" letter obviously meant what it said and not what the customers hoped it said (between the lines)... absolutely nothing.

Perusing the forums, I just don't get the feeling the existing customers are getting the TLC we see from other publishers like Turbine, ArenaNet, etc.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 2:01PM Eamil said

Not to comment on how good or bad Cryptic's games actually ARE, but perusing the forums is never a good way to get an idea of how satisfied the players of a game are.

Show me one MMO forum where less than 90% of threads are complaints.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 2:32PM yeppers said

Very true! However, when I peruse the forums I'm mainly looking at the stickies and participation of Cryptic's dev team. There has to be more involvement than posting a sticky saying they're going to be deleting all the "I Quit" threads. Heck, even the Q&A questions linked in this post had more feeling and depth than the answers. In my opinion of course.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 1:53PM CCon99 said

Wow, with all the major PvP problems and the Klingon faction dying off from boredom, 95% of the questions they chose to answer had to do with adding Klingon fluff like customization.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 2:19PM (Unverified) said

Are you surprised? After all, fluff is about all the talentless hacks at Cryptic are good at.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 6:19AM Dread said

Hell, while most of the missions were fundamentally broken and wouldn't finish or give the rewards and people couldn't even log in or stay connected instead of prioritizing fixes for these they gave us mini skirts instead.....

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 8:02PM Azimn said

STO is definitely the game I have been waiting for, for well years. I do love the game because I am a Star Trek fan, but the game does need some updates especially on the klingon side. I think STO has a difficult job because the Ip is so huge and fans expect so much from the game. The missions on the Federation side are pretty good over all, and while I am happy with the game I am just as excited to see how the game keep changing.

Most of the reviews and comments I have read seem a bit negative and how Cryptic is fixing the mistakes they made. I don't see it that way I am pretty impressed that Cryptic has made such an effort to change their game to fit what the fans want. I think they are in a tough spot because Star Trek fans are so passionate about their IP.
I am going to keep playing STO, not just cause it is Star Trek (Which makes it awesome) but because I am excited to see what the game will be like in a year or two. I think this game is going to have some big changes, like when Star Wars got the jump to light speed expansion, and I am still excited about the game.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Sheesh, how disingenuous. Someone asks a perfectly reasonable pvp request, and Cryptic strawmans the argument:

"Are there any plans to provide a more meaningful PVP system, such as "Open PvP" zones or capturable systems/planets/starbases that would then provide faction bonuses and rewards for holding?
I don't think it would be likely that we will ever allow the Klingons to invade Earth Space Doc as a random open world event. PvP in STO will always be consensual."

Did they ask about invading Earthdock or nonconsensual pvp. No. In fact, most of the posts on the forums I've seen on this topic revolve around the desire of a set of systems in the Fed-Klingon neutral zone to be able to flip control, not the whole galaxy. And Cryptic turns it around and makes it seem likes its an unreasonable request for a free for all style of pvp game. "Open PvP Zone" is just that, a zone, not the whole freakin game. Heck, with the zones instanced, you could even imagine there are sector blocks in which some instances are open pvp, and others are non-pvp.

Then again, I "don't get it".

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 2:38PM CCon99 said

Yeah, I really rolled my eyes hard at that answer. When I read the question I was like okay good, here we go, let's discuss how this PvP system can be improved and more meaningful. Then I got to the answer and wondered if they even read the question.

I can see if the question didn't specify an open PvP ZONE and the person answering took it as asking to make the entire game an open PvP game. But the question was clear, they asked about an open static PvP zone, no where is it mentioned they want to attack Earth, or making PvP not being consensual.

WRUP: WoW's next-next expansion