Posted: Mar 7th 2010 8:19PM Dirame said

I think you can summarize this article in one sentence; Your eve game is empty without goals.

Sometimes you don't really need a corp, sometimes you just need a group of people who you can talk to that know about the game a lot more than you and that you fly with a lot of the time. I don't have a "corp" per se, but what I do have is a group of people who have a chat channel and are very good friends with one another.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 8:29PM (Unverified) said

In before Graill tells us that Eve will never be a successful game!

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 9:00PM Benicio said

"As a very social game, I don't think EVE truly takes off until you get into a good corporation. "

Very very true. This game is designed to be played with a group of people. To really see Eve shine, you need to find just the right corp for you.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 11:24PM (Unverified) said

I'm new to Eve (have been playing a couple months, but only 5 to 10 hrs per week). I just don't know HOW to get into a corp that fits me ... topic for your next opinion piece?

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 10:17AM (Unverified) said

Knowing people goes a long way. I got into my current corporation, a fairly ambitious corporation currently established in hisec but frequently messing around in lowsec and W-Space, through the recommendation of the CEO of my very first corporation. I joined my first corp when I was a new pilot and the corp was newly established. Several months and two other corps later, I got into a conversation with my former CEO, who asked me if I'd like to join his current corp. He left my first corporation for the corporation he was now inviting me to join. I probably wouldn't have gotten into that corporation that fast if he didn't vouch for me; that corporation had suffered from theft by a spy not very long before I joined. As of this day, I'm still in that corporation. I believe I'm nearing the one-year membership mark.

The funny thing about EVE is, everything you do in the game has an effect on what your further EVE career looks like. If I hadn't accidentally met my first CEO in Cistuvaert Local only a few days after I created my account (that is, if I hadn't said something in Local and he hadn't replied), I would have never ended up in my current corporation.

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:41AM Brendan Drain said

I've already done a piece on finding a good corp, though you should also take the advice other players will give you in finding one. The article I did on it is here: http://www.massively.com/2009/08/02/eve-evolved-finding-the-perfect-corporation-in-five-easy-steps/

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 11:49PM Dblade said

Problem though is there really aren't that many good corporations willing to take new people, and not much new people can do to achieve those goals. The ones that do take new players are small, often under 15 people corps which rarely have anyone on, and fold quickly. Apart from training corps like E-Uni you are rolling the dice.

You mention pirating, but most pirate corps are asking for 5-10mil SP and the ability to fly a BC or BS. Wormhole Ops as well. If you are a miner or industrialist the barrier to entry is lower, but speaking from experience both of those are as dull as hell over the long term.

For a trial you are SOL to be honest. Because of the threat of scams, and people not willing to waste resources on you, you are not going to see any corp bother with you.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 12:14AM (Unverified) said

your forgetting Eve University one of the biggest teaching corp in existance

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 1:03AM rhorle said

"Apart from training corps like E-Uni you are rolling the dice."

They didn't forget

Posted: Apr 11th 2010 3:34AM (Unverified) said

I'm in a training corp called 1st Steps Academy. Where E-Uni sends you off to completely different alliances, 1SA tries to place you in another corp within it's alliance (Tread).

Now I don't want to advertise or anything but i personally believe it works better this way. Oh and we're not constantly wardecced :)

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 3:22AM (Unverified) said

I have been playing EVE - or at least training - for 9 months. I just don't understand the push for "forced grouping." If I wanted to play cooperatively with (as opposed to against) other people, then the game design and customers of EVE make it absolutely the last MMO I would want to play.

Spies, theft, fraud mean that there is a real risk to you and the corporation when you join. The latest Mynxee blog entry is on Asset Liberation, where they had someone join a small corp to steal stuff that it would cost over $100 to replace. Or the thousands of people who worked hard in Goonswarm before 1 person decided to disband it. Etc. EVE has a lot to recommend it; and it is certainly different. While there are corporate successes, the design and culture all work strongly against trust turning out well.

I always tell people to read CAOD and then tell me why in the world they would want to join with, let alone trust, these people?

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 7:48AM (Unverified) said

I played Eve for a few years, loved the pvp side of the game. We used to hold the system Decon, those were good times. I got into a few 0.0 fights with a couple of alliances (Generally fighting against goonswarm back then, dont know what the politcal map is like these days) and the game trully is superb when hundreds of players are battling it out, except for when it lagged out the system. I agree with the article though, you need a corp to have goals in Eve. Without one, you can only get so far.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 9:11AM (Unverified) said

God I love Eve. You can be whatever you want. And corporations can literally shape the virtual world they're in.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 10:34AM (Unverified) said

Nice article and I couldn't agree more with the concept that you need a good corp in the game of EVE. I wasn't sure how long EVE was in my future but a month into the game I found a great corp that I have now been a member of for 6 months.

Currently we are operating both in high sec and 0.0 space with a mostly PvP goal though we have many PvE or industrial players. If anyone is looking for a corp like this let me know!

DTMKnight

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 5:03PM runzwithsizzorz said

The sign of a good corp. in Eve is one where, no matter how many skill points you have and how much experience, you feel like a noob. Changing corporations is a good way to keep the game fresh.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 7:05PM EdmundDante said

Good piece Brendan. What I find appealing in Eve is that even though grouping up definitely can be rewarding - it isn't gameplay that is forced upon you ... at least until you're ready for it.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 4:27AM (Unverified) said

Hi Brendan,

I'm from a leading game guide publishing company and would like to ask if you could help us in test reading one of our guides that will soon be released. I would appreciate it very much if you would agree to test read our guide and give some feedback on it.

Please feel free to get back to me at zorro.entertainment.software@gmail.com. I'm looking forward to receiving your reply.

Regards,