Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:37AM Critical Mass said

I am not joining any MMO until I see that they have moved away from thinking that 'content' is the game per se.

A game should be understood at a game, in so far as one enjoy actually 'playing' it. That leaves the developers with a couple of challenges.
a) making the game fun to play, without annoying the player
b) making the game fun to play, over time, without annoying the player

Also I think developers should avoid thinking/aiming at multiple target groups. Else I think they will end up pitting one player-group's interest against the other player's groups interest. Making it easy for devs to shrug their shoulders and say "We can't make it too hard/complex, in order to not alienate the players".

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

Final Fantasy 11 was one of my favorite MMO's ever. I look forward to FF14 like no other game in a long time, even more than SW:TOR, and I've always been a huge Star Wars fan.

Hopefully, FF14 is good enough to keep me playing it until The Old Republic is released, and then I'll have no choice but to sub 2 mmo's.

The F2P market seems to be getting watered down lately, and the biggest one on the horizon, Allods, did not impress me in the stages of beta I played. It is beautiful from an art direction standpoint, but something about the gameplay was waaaaay to familiar to WoW, which practically makes me ill to think about playing again after investing nearly 3 years of my life in.

On the other hand, Dungeons and Dragons online, (which I bought at release and played through the first year) continues to get better and better, and is hands down, the best F2P out there. I returned shortly after they went free to play, and I'm glad I did. It still has a lot to offer the casual player, and I can't recommend it enough. It's a great property, and a cool, fun, friendly game that should be at least given a try by anyone who likes D&D, fantasy, PVE, and fast paced, entertaining gameplay with wonderful graphics and art. Turbine got it right.

Earthrise has potential from what I've read about it, and may be another worth checking out.

Overall, I'm basically killing time until I get back into the online world of Final Fantasy.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:45AM (Unverified) said

XIV is the only hope I have for MMO's at this point... Unless it's a true "AAA" company with experience and money I don't think anyone should pay full price for an MMO anymore. For me it was Vanguard, WAR, and then STO. SE/FF is the only thing that can make me even consider buying a box at launch now.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:52AM (Unverified) said

I'm mostly looking forward to Lego Universe and FFIV, Lego, because I'm interested in how Lego MMO would work, and Final Fantasy because I'm a fan of japanese games AND Final Fantasy, and I like what's been shown so far. I think Global Agenda looks interesting, and I'm not really certain wether it could qualify as an MMO, but I don't believe that you can make a definition on MMO's that's for everyone.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 10:39AM Tizmah said

FFXIV is my last hope of having a good MMORPG to play and get sucked into again. If it turns out to be a huge disappointment, then I'll probably quit looking into MMORPGs so much. I'd just wait until I "heard" about some amazing MMORPG that everyone is playing and enjoys instead of listening to all the pre-hype.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 10:45AM Nearly Departed said

I am on pre-order for Xsyon and hope to be playing in a couple weeks. If it lives up to half of its features then its gonna be my new home.

If Lego Universe does not use a subscription model, I would get that too, my 6 year old son would like that alot. He could use his allowance in the cash shop.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 10:54AM (Unverified) said

Star Trek Online- Bought for $3.25, not bad at that price, but I severely doubt I'm going to resubscribe after my 30 days are up.

Allods Online- I just couldn't get into it during the CBT, and with the recent mistakes they made with the cash shop, I'm not going to start up again any time soon.

APB- If they deliver on the promise of a huge open world with cops vs. robbers, I'm down to play it. Plus, the customization options look incredible.

Final Fantasy XIV- As a big fan of the world and atmosphere (if not necessarily the gameplay) of FFXI, I'm hyped up for XIV. The graphics are very nice, especially for an MMO, the job system sounds like a fresh change of pace, and the focus on more solo play really give me hope that SE knows what they're doing.

DC Universe Online- Real-time action gameplay with my own custom superhero fighting Sinestro with Hal Jordan and Jon Stewart? YES PLEASE. My problem is that I keep hearing a rumor about the game being heavily instanced ala Champions, so we won't have huge numbers of superheros or villains teaming up. Still, with all the time they're taking with the game, I'm sure that it won't be the superdud Champions was.

Lego Universe- I'll have to see some more gameplay involving Lego building, but if the game is even a tenth as exciting as the first trailer was, I'm down to build my Lego Rocket Tank Car and beat up on some bad guys.

That's it from me. FFXIV and DCUO are my most wanted, as well as The Secret World, but I doubt that's coming out this year. Probably around May 2011, if I had to guess.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:04AM Wensbane said

So far, 2010 has been great! Not because of any new releases (STO and Allods were both huge disappointments), but because I've finally decided to give DDO another chance.

In my opinion, it's always been one of the most refreshing MMORPGs out there, but now, with such an active community, it's simply too good to pass up.

As for upcoming releases, I guess I'm (somewhat) looking forward to FFIV. But to be perfectly honest, Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic are the two MMOs I'm truly waiting for, so I guess I'll be sticking to the "oldies" until (late?) 2011.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:09AM Wensbane said

Oops, forgot to mention The Secret World! Seeing as I'm a huge fan of Tørnquist's work, I'm definitely looking forward to that one, as well.

I have no idea when that will be released, though...

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:13AM Wensbane said

Also: *FFXIV - NOT FFIV - seems I missed a letter there...

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:08AM Joshua Przygocki said

TERA, looks a lot like Aion, and it'll probably have some grindy times and whatnot, but after looking at the classes and stuff, it doesn't look like its going to be the standard boring old MMO, might give that a try.

Final Fantasy- probably trying that.

APB.. no

Earthrise- maybe

LEGO- ehhh

Black Prophecy- I don't know

Might just sub to FE I'm hearing a lot of great things about it and it looks fun, I'm not sure though.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:14AM (Unverified) said

Obviously it is all subjective but I don't see anything worth getting excited over until we get Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic. FFXIV will be the only new mmo I will be testing out.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:14AM (Unverified) said

2010 isn't that great a year for MMO's. Cataclysm I'll get just to see the changes, maybe play for a couple months, but then be bored of it like all WoW content.

APB I am definitely looking forward to, but not sure how long term the game is. But should be entertaining.

Other than that, the MMO market is just bland. Definitely needs that next game that is a market shifter to come along and change things up. Do what WoW did years ago. How long until we get that though... could be a long while.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:21AM AlamoeJones said

I don't understand why everyone continues to say this isn't a big year for mmo launches. Just look at the list you've made there. Lego and Star Trek alone are two huge IPs. Not to mention there's a gigantic WoW expansion coming. This is just as big as last year, if not bigger; considering all these games actually come out.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:33AM (Unverified) said

The only MMO on my radar is Final Fantasy XIV. The industry as a whole seems to be doing well, at least in the fact that new titles continue to be made at a decent clip. If Square Enix does things right XIV will allow me to put XI to rest and possibly Guild Wars 2 will eventually become my F2P mmo on the side.

I know that XI play style is old school and more harsh than the newer MMO's but I hope against all hopes, that some companies will still pursue the niche market that I represent and at least 1 game will exist at all times that scratches my particular type of itch.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:43AM (Unverified) said

Playing STO and liking it a lot,also enjoying Aion. I think mmos are finally coming into their own with something to offer everyone. No one is ever going to dominate the way WOW has there is simply to much competition that was non existent when it came out. I think what people fail to realize is that as more people get into the genre and more mmos come out that magic formula is going to become more and more elusive. A lot of people that played WOW were really scifi nuts or shooter fanatics or comicbook fans and they were just waiting for their type of mmo to come out. With the long line of mmo releases coming out we shouldn't be looking for a perfect mmo,because their isn't one, we should look for the right game for us. I know a ton of people playing STO that are ecstatic with it . They get all the in jokes and reference's and they don't care if crafting needs work. Because it's Star Trek. It will be the same when Star Wars comes out,and Final Fantasy XIV. I like Aion because some days all I want do is grind. My whole point is quit trying to make different mmos into carbon copies of each other. Where does it say any mmo needs crafting to be good. I've played a ton of them and have never crafted more than a couple of levels . It seems idiotic to me,but that's my own taste if somebody else likes it have at it. A prime example would be the upcoming Call of Duty mmo. Sorry nothing there for me but I'm sure it'll have it's own little hardcore crowd that swears it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 12:03PM (Unverified) said

I've been burned by to many MMO 'grand promises'. I'm off the 'early adopter' wagon, so I will remain disappointed in every MMO, released or unreleased until it proves itself.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 12:35PM (Unverified) said

Tizmah summed it up perfectly for me as well.

I'm on the FFXIV or Bust Tour atm. I'm kinda putting all of my eggs into this basket hoping that this is the MMO i've been searching for for years now. I loved everything about FFXI except the Required Grouping once you reached a very low certain point. Loved the classes, the subjob system, the difficult tradeskilling, the lore, the mission systems, hell, even the signet/nation control system, everything pretty much. But being basically required to group (and sit and LFG) for hours on end was a dealbreaker to me. I love grouping, but I HAVE TO have the ability to effectively solo while I LFG, or when I'm feeling like soloing period. So I have high hopes for FFXIV, and I hope it lives up to it. If not, I'm done with MMOs most likely until I see an EQ3, and it appeals to me.

That being said, I most likely will give Guild Wars 2 a heavy look as we get closer to it coming out but I'm still not convinced that its going to make 2011. Call me a pessimist lol. Enjoyed the original game, and if its just the soul of that game, more persistant as they say, with some new twists, I'm sold.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 1:06PM (Unverified) said

I'm really looking forward to APB for a lot of the reasons other people are turned off by it.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 1:11PM (Unverified) said

I'll feel A LOT better when the Warhammer 40k MMO is finally unveiled next week at the GDC.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014