Posted: Mar 6th 2010 8:21AM Minofan said

Hmm; I really need a list to work off, but if I run through everything I can think of the assumption we won't see Guild Wars 2 or The Old Republic this year...

Star Trek Online - May buy when it's under £10 on Steam, for 30 days of pewpew.

Allods Online - High production values, but I abhor the (low-level) gameplay & character models.

All Points Bulletin - Hmm; I'll watch because the customization intrigues, but cannot see it having the PvE content for me.

Black Prophecy - I can't ever see myself subscribing to a space-shooter; just isn't my genre.

Th Agency - Ditto, substituting FPS for space.

Lego Universe - A definite contender, but a lot will depend upon the business model (it just isn't a game I'd pay up front for unless there's no subscription).

Final Fantasy XIV - A dark horse; the alluded to gameplay & style has bags of potential, but on the other hand there was pretty much nothing I enjoyed about Final Fantasy XI. It's the only 2010 MMORPG I could even conceive of paying box + subscription fee for.

Overall; cannot say 2010 holds much of a candle to 2011 for me, barring a 'free-to-play' game coming out of left-field & hooking me (like Free Realms did in 2009).
If I could choose between 12 months free subscription to the first 5 games on that list vs entry into Guild wars 2 beta, it wouldn't be much of a contest. ^_^

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 12:50PM Tom in VA said

Hmmm, "great minds thinks alike", Vult. I feel pretty much as you do. 2010 does thus far is not doing much for me.

STO/APB--
Like you, I'm mainly waiting for the price of STO to come down, and I also have a watchful eye on APB, though if it fails or is inadequate on the PvE, front then I'll give APB a complete pass.

LEGO UNIVERSE--
Sorry, but I can't see how this game would be anything but a total snoozefest for me. lol. Legos bore me to tears. ;)

Black Prophecy--
A 100% space shooter? No thanks.

WoW/CATACLYSM--
Might just draw me back for a looksee. Ditto for LotRO.

As for any PvP MMOs, I'm definitely not interested.

2010 may well be the year of DRAGON AGE/single-player games for me -- till Guild Wars and SWTOR finally hit the shelves. (Sigh.) I want to play both of those games so BAD. :(

A few of bright and interesting rays of MMO light on the horizon: Mytheon, The Secret World, and (the now resurrected) Gods and Heroes (woot!).

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 8:23AM Deadalon said

I will be taking a look at few free to play games. If I have learned somthing in the past 2-3 years is to never buy a boxed version of a MMO ever again. These games that are supposed to be better "quality" than the F2P are simply not delivering. Buying a product from a box should mean it is working. The truth is that many of the f2p games offering the game in a download actually have core parts of the game right - and in many cases fewer bugs than what the boxes have.

The so called P2P games are nothing more than a product from devs that get financed and then do not give a flying fuck about the endproduct. Hell - they get their money from publishers - live high for 2-3 years (5 if the publishers are stupid enough) and then they throw some crap out on the market that is dead in less than a year. And ofc.. the key devs long gone to milk more money somewhere else.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 8:29AM (Unverified) said

Quagmire.

That's how i'd sum up my recent MMO feelings.
Personally I've really lost a lot of faith in the genre at this point. Not necessarily through any fault of the genre itself, but as a natural lull.

I've been driven back to single-player titles due to being bored out of my brain with the same 'ol MMO formula (let alone running away screaming from the god-forsaken spew of F2P drivel that's oozing out of the industry's glands like a rancid infection).

I still appreciate WoW, Lotro, et al for what they are, but it's been a while that we've been dancing the same steps and we're wearing footmarks in the floor.

Yes, KOTOR may well be a breath of fresh air with it's "story" focus, and Final Fantasy XIV *looks* stunning (who knows how it will play..) but other than that I don't know of much that I'm particularly excited about as a genre.

In two days I'll be merrily romping through Final Fantasy XIII, with C&C4 hot on it's tails. I'm more excited about those than any immediate MMO prospects.

TL;DR? I'm bored with MMO's. Not necessarily because I think they're flawed in any way, but because we've been sharing the same room for years and it's time to pull back the curtains and let some fresh air in..

=)

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 8:46AM SgtBaker said

I feel 2010 MMO's are shaping up great for me:

- EVE is getting a steady stream of expansions, it's still very involving and exciting after 2.5 years. Involvement in the current political landscape makes it quite excellent.

- Just tried Lotro again and totally liking what I see - I think it's fast becoming my option for that 2nd "casual" MMO. Plenty to do, consistent lore (no Paris Hiltons in sight), great graphics, great story. Best of the "themepark" MMO's available.

2010 is so far quite excellent MMO year for me!

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:03AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
FFXIV is the only interesting MMO coming out in the foreseeable future. If that fails then the MMO genre is as good as dead.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:05AM Dandmcd said

What I'm most looking forward to is being lucky enough to get into beta for SWTOR, FFXIV, Lego Universe or Earthrise. The releases this year don't have me very excited, so I just want to test them all out and decide what should be my next MMO to start out in.

For 2010, I'm most looking forward to both Lego Universe and FFXIV. I still don't believe FFIV will be out this year, but if they surprise me, that would be awesome. Square seems intelligent enough to know when a game is ready for release, so I don't worry at all about their game being rushed during this dry spell.

Lego Universe looks strangely fun ,with really cool cartoon like graphics and very unique and interactive quests. Netdevil seems to be putting a lot of effort into this game, and I'm really looking forward to playing it ,the gameplay videos looked very fun.

Beyond that, I'm keeping an eye out on Earthrise which I think could surprise some people and I'm not sure if this is a 2010 title, but DC Universe I am keeping tabs on as well.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:18AM elocke said

We're not off to a good start in 2010 with STO leading the way and shamelessly classifying itself as an mmoRPG.

That negative aside, I am looking forward to some new games: FFXIV, Heroes of Telara, Black Prophecy.

I really want the upcoming sandbox games to blow me away, but every time I try one, the emphasis on PVP drives me insane and ruins my "world" exploration fun. But I'll be trying out Earthrise, Xsyon, Dawntide, and any other sandboxes that come along.

On a final note, I'm still enjoying the old favorites and I expect to play them even more once they launch their expansion packs. WoW: Cataclysm, AoC's xpack, LOTRO's next xpack, and I'll be dipping in and out of EQ2 and Vanguard as well.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

Three words:

Earth mother'fekkin Rise!

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 5:39PM Tristik said

Yup, that's the only one I'm even looking at that's on the list to come out this year. Earthrise is gonna be a nice bridge until 2011 (hopefully longer)

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:26AM DaBruuzer said

So far, 2010 has been a disappointment for me. It breaks my heart to say that STO was pure rubbish (this, from a life-long Trek fan). Global Agenda, although a passable multiplayer shooter, is NOT an MMO, regardless of what anyone says. The other AAA titles coming out don't really interest me at all, nor does the crop of F2P drivel I have tried.

I got hooked on EVE this past summer, and I don't think I have seen anything else with even half the depth. It's going to take a lot to steal me away from that game.

Honestly, I am more interested in 2011 (KotR) and 2012 (Warhammer 40k MMO).

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:27AM DaBruuzer said

OOPS! Bad acronym: KotR = SWTOR

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 8:51PM Valdamar said

"Honestly, I am more interested in 2011 (KotR) and 2012 (Warhammer 40k MMO)."

^This.

SW:TOR and WH40K are the main two MMOs I'm excited about now - and possibly Guild Wars 2 (due 2011, iirc). APB might be fun, so I'll probably give that a try later this year, but I'm not expecting it to become my main MMO or anything - just an occasional diversion. I may even dabble with WoW again post-Cataclysm (not played it since first 6 months of BC), but only if I get really bored - it's not like it's going anywhere.

So far 2010 has been just as rubbish as 2008 and 2009 were.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:26AM Faryon said

The MMO I'm looking most forward to in 2010 must be Earthrise.. assuming they actually manage to get it out this year.
Reasons: Sandbox, skill based (no classes), sci-fi setting, offline progression and a deep crafting system.

I also look forward to seeing how Black Prophecy plays when it's released..

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:50AM (Unverified) said

The offline progression is only for 'social' skills.

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 11:13PM RaPhiKi said

Wait wait! Skill-based, offline progression (a la Eve for both?), deep crafting in post- Apocalyptic setting? Wow! I might look at this and cancel my Eve alt account, or sell her =D. I liked Fallen Earth, but needed a bit more depth..

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:27AM Atnor said

Honestly, its looking to be a disappointing year.

I'm a player who grew up MMO-wise on EQ and later SWG. I loved early EQ2 and Vanguard. I'm currently in Fallen Earth.... those games, to me at least, tried to create virtual worlds. The stuff coming out now are just games that dont excite me... I dont LARP, and I dont "role-play" but I definitely need more world-building, story-focused, explore, sandboxy elements than whats coming down the pike. Maybe in 2011 with Star Wars I'll be kinda looking forward to it.

Allods - Nope, turned me off by thinking those prices were reasonable. Plus, honestly I didnt enjoy the game much. But then, I'm not a WoW player so *shrug*

STO - Unlike Champions, I couldnt get through the first month. Champions got me for at least a couple months of play. Space combat was fun, but after the 10th or so exact same mission I grew bored. Just not enough interesting things to do.

Earthrise: I'm actually looking forward to trying this one out, so maybe all hope is not lost :)

Final Fantasy - I'm kinda done with that series. Actually, I'm kinda done with a lot of Eastern-flavored games, esp the F2P ones. It's become a bit of a turn off for me. Not sure why. I doubt I'll give this a serious look.

APB: meh

Black Prophecy: Might be interesting - shooter element worries me. Will give it a look though.

I see myself staying in FE most of the year, hopefully getting some DDO time in, and I guess looking for single-player games to keep me occupied.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:53AM (Unverified) said

@Atnor - said on 9:27AM 3-06-2010
"Final Fantasy - I'm kinda done with that series"

Aww - even after listening to these?

Feel it pull you in.. go on. You know you can't resist..!
:D

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 12:32PM Bhima said

@Amana

I tried to like that music that you linked, but it doesn't have enough of a melody for me to enjoy. That music is just sorta all over the place. If you haven't heard any of the music from Runes of Magic, you should give it a go. There are a couple of gems in there that you can download:

Of course, my favorite video game music is anything Ys books I and II (the Turbo Graphix 16 CD version ONLY THOUGH which is not available on YouTube it seems, but I have all the music on MP3). Check out this version by PatPend at least to get an idea of how cool the melodies are:

This one is PatPend's best rendition of Ys. It really, really works:

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 9:37AM (Unverified) said

Don't foresee 2010 becoming a great year, nothing really interesting coming up. The only semi-worthwhile title is Final Fantasy XIV, which sounds great and really casual, but to the extent on which I'd just want to play the title 5 ~ 10 hours a week or so and that's not what I consider worth paying a subscription for.

More looking forward to Guild Wars 2, which will probably see light in 2011.