Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:06PM Sean D said

Enjoyed the article! I wonder how many people actually think like this O.o.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:37PM Graill440 said

Funny, and a good read, well done.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:58PM (Unverified) said

Loving the 10,000 days poster =D

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 7:39PM (Unverified) said

Faction ≠ reputation WITH a faction. We call that "Reputation" or if you'd like to shorten it, "Rep".

Sorry, just had to nitpick. Otherwise, good article.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 8:30PM (Unverified) said

Depends on the MMO... in Guild Wars, it is indeed "faction". Granted, the term "reputation" is probably used more.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 9:02PM (Unverified) said

The MMO in question doesn't matter as much to me as sentence structure.

"Faction" as a noun in the MMO sense refers to a group of people that you are completing tasks for, in order to make them like you. Not doing those things does not cause a group of people to plummet, it causes the amount they like you to plummet.

But like I said, I'm nitpicking, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 9:41PM ultimateq said

When someone says "Grinding faction" they mean they are working up their "reputation" with that faction. I've played several games where they never use the word reputation, Everquest being one, as well as the aforementioned guild wars. Her terminology was just fine; Just because you are familiar with one term doesn't make the other less credible, even if it is technically wrong according to the English language.

On a different note, this article is great. It stresses that you should level your RL character before you level your in-game character. Good call. The first 25 years of your life are the most important, you should work diligently to make sure you have a secure future. I say this from experience.

The games will die, or you'll become bored with it; and if you spent 5000 hours across several characters and neglected important life duties, you're only hurting yourself; Not only in the long run, but you'll be hurting yourself in the here and now.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 2:54AM BigAndShiny said

wow, youre mention of church made me realise that that's my main, sorting out, check-up time for my character to buy stuff and trade. I guess America, being mainly christian would be different.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 10:19AM (Unverified) said

Another question...how do I lobby my wife for more game time? :-)

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

Excellent article! Laughed out lol IRL on grinding faction ...

That's what it's about though.

Keep em coming.

Daniel

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 2:05PM jpkustra said

Good article.
Bonus points for the Tool poster :)