Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:14PM Thac0 said

You are a far more patient gamer than i was, i hd thins game only on my hard drive for a few hours.

I'm with games the same way i'm with books, if it doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages I move on and this game did not grab me in the first few hours thus.... buh bye.

I really was interested in the Prawn raising too, it looked very cute. Not worth playing the rest of the game though :P

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:17PM Joshua Przygocki said

Interesting really, I don't care for trying out games in beta because I don't like working on a character just to have 'em deleted(grabbed a key anyways a while back). I will definitely try this one after it releases though, I hope the cash shop will be mostly vanity items and whatnot.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:22PM Beau Hindman said

You know, I am not sure if the characters are to be wiped or not. I will have to look. To be honest, a lot of the FTP games like this operate with some pretty darn loose beta guidelines; anyone can get in easily, and the game is already pretty close to release state.

*goes looking to see if characters will be wiped*

Beau

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:25PM Joshua Przygocki said

Thanks for that, might have to install it tonight, heading up to a relatives' place with much faster internet anyway.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Glad to see this great review. I will be interested in seeing another view when you are high enough to participate in the PVP aspects, which is really the meat and potatoes of this game.

@Joshua Right now the 2nd closed beta is done, servers are down until they announce the next beta (we don't know if it'll be cb3 or OB yet).

@BeauYou keep characters throughout the CB, they will be deleted for OB. OB characters are never deleted.

@Thaco You need to put about 10-15 hours into this game before you can experience the pvp, which is really what it's all about. Otherwise you aren't giving the game justice. The leveling and quests are on a very easy curve, since the end game isn't a focus of grind, but of pvp play.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:36PM Shirogetsune said

Pretty sure the official site has stated all CB characters will be wiped, but there may/may not be bonuses for those that participated in CB when OB hits.

I found Aika really enjoyable, with the quest translation being of some of the highest quality of any free to play game I've played. The writing is both fluid and well done, at most times humorous, and the dialogue between NPCs and the playable character adds to the immersion.

The Pran system is also fantastic, even though I never evolved mine from fairy state before CB2 ended. I did crack a smile when I moused over her dialogue box, and read "Hey, Listen!" (Ocarina of Time reference.) Talking to my Pran also added to some of the immersion, making me feel like it wasn't just some mindless pet I fed random items and watched evolve. (Jade Dynasty.)

One of the things that really impressed me were the combat animations. I rolled a Warrior, and his skills (up to 8, as far as I got in CB2) all looked and felt natural. While there were some weapon redraw issues between auto-attacks and combat skills, the animations matched and flowed really well. Hacking away at a target with the auto-attack and Slash, then dropping a shoulder and slamming my weight into the mob for a decent stun felt just the way combat in any game should feel.

Really looking forward to playing this in Open Beta. It's a little rough around the edges, but overall an enjoyable title behind it's dated exterior.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:45PM (Unverified) said

Aika is a great game so far I hope the cash shop doesn't ruin it though.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:25PM (Unverified) said

I enjoyed my cbt2 time. Really considering giving this f2p a good shot. I love the pran system

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 4:52PM (Unverified) said

Christina Kelly, Gala-net community manager, claims that there will be no Cash shop imbalances. Here's what she wrote:
OnRPG: This is one question which affect most players of Free To Play games. To what extent will the Cash Shop (when released in Spring 2010) affect the gameplay of Aika?
"Aika's Item Shop will be an incredibly useful supplement to everything that is already available in the game. A large portion of the items will functionally relate to easier customization of your character. Everything that you need to optimize your character is already available in Aika, but our Item Shop will allow players to eliminate some of the randomness involved in creating the perfect PvP build. As we have said, Aika is a remarkably grind-light game, but since we expect many new players to want to catch up with their friends and jump right into the awesome PvP action, we are offering some experience-boosting items too. Aika's Item Shop will also offer additional aesthetic customization options for those players who really want to stand out from the crowd. Ultimately, the Item Shop will provide convenience to our players. As far as whether or not the Item Shop will significantly affect the gameplay, the answer is, "Definitely not." We don't believe in offering purchasable items which give players who buy them enormous in-game advantages over those who choose not to use the Item Shop."

Looking forward to OB now :)
look up some YouTube vids about the game and get rdy

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 5:09PM wjowski said

• Half a heart
Any game that takes 10-15 hours to be fun isn't worth the attention.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 5:24PM (Unverified) said

@wjowski Anyone who has played any mmo knows that being able to get to the best part of the game in so few hours is a rare treat.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 5:25PM (Unverified) said

^ to clarify that comment, you can start to partipate at that time. I put in over 100 hours into the CB's and I hadn't seen it's full potential yet.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 5:40PM (Unverified) said

@ nt : no idea what you are talking about...

@ Wjowski : i think you took the 10-15h the wrong way... most fantasy MMO's these days require sometimes way more than that [b]to experience PvP in an acceptable[/b] way. You can have fun in the game earlier either with PvE or with PvP but for the latter you'll be limited on skills, attack/defense and lasting power.
Nothing new here really... most games been working like that for a while...

Although, you can quest your way to 30 or so without much problem...

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:06PM (Unverified) said

Nice overview of the game's strong points. I may have to try the point and click in cb3 because I found the wasd far too jerky. The game itself was quite fun and interesting, so I plan to continue with it.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:06PM Sean D said

Great review. I like your lack of melodrama. I may try the game when it goes into OB if I remember to do so. I don't prefer the FTP/cash shop model, but this one sounds like it could be good for some simple fun.

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 7:38PM (Unverified) said

I too enjoyed my CB2 time, and found myself wanting to play more after cb2 closed....I enjoy the randomness of crafting the risk of it, but the ease of access of crafting also. Only thing I can hope for is more AI when it comes to the PVE fights but its not bad for F2P (oh yeah hope they dont bork the CASH SHOP :D).

In the meantime I'm enjoying Dragonica, thanks for finding time sinks for my evenings massively!

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 8:31PM AlamoeJones said

This doesn't seem like my kind of game...despite the Pran lol Nevertheless, congrats on your first post Mr. Hindman ;)

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 10:57PM (Unverified) said

questing in this game is also your main source of exp well into the game. So PvP or PvE, you can easily play this game out before you have to grind. For those trying to hit the high levels with little time on their hands, it shouldn't be too hard.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 5:27AM (Unverified) said

not an experience gamer but really enjoy aika can wait for it to be open

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 11:35AM (Unverified) said

I really enjoy playing Aika. It is very easy to lvl up and the player base is a friendly one with healthy competition between the different nations.

The pvp can be enjoyed early on as soon as lvl 14 (as I have seen clerics joining my raid teams) In the end in the mass pvp it won't matter if you are the low one cause the higher lvls can draw the attention to them.

I found out that it is very easy to hit lvl 48 (my end lvl in cbt 2) if you just go for it. You will be able to quest all the time and you will not have to grind at all. In the mean time I participated in all the defenses and several raids on other nations too so it ain't all questing to hit that lvl. It is just what you enjoy to play and believe me compared to games like Rappelz which take hours and hours of grinding or dungeon parties to get to the average lvls this game is a breeze and a really enjoyable change.