Posted: Mar 4th 2010 6:17PM (Unverified) said

so.......I'm confused. People pay this joker real money to hunt on his "property". This game seems weird someone clarify what I'm looking at.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 7:18PM DrewIW said

From what I understand, you can change in-game money to real money, back and forth. It seems likely that people pay him in-game money to hunt, and he cashes out periodically.

I hope someone with a better understanding of the game can explain it more precisely.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:39AM (Unverified) said

I can't believe this game exists. I thought Entropia was the only game ridiculous enough to pull this off.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 12:24AM Anatidae said

While I can believe that some people pay to play this game and even some of those might pay this guy to hunt on his land. What I can't believe is that enough people pay him collectively $100,000 a month to do so.

How many paying subscribers does this MMO have? Not freeloaders, but paying people. With games like WAR and CO struggling in the lower hundred thousands area, I can't imagine Calypso having much more people willing to pay.

I read on Gamasutra a few interviews about microtransaction games and that a very small percentage actually pays up. Less than 10%.

I don't get it. I downloaded the game and logged in and lost interest faster than Second Life.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 9:12AM Arkanaloth said

so what this basically tells me is be it real life or virtual life, the way to ridiculous cash is to own real estate and charge people rental fees.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 3:23PM (Unverified) said

The way the game works is it has a live updating market for the ingame money. At any point the amount is changing like real world money say if you change from US to Euros. But in this case it is virtual money into real money. there is a site that shows the trade value at any given time. like in real world the price to cash out changes every day.

In the game you can buy game money with real money or trade game money in and get real money sent to you. Some places in the the world are owned by single people like Deathifier. They have to pay to restock mobs onto there land and keep said mobs going. If they want to say buy a really rare mobs and put it into there land they can. With owning the land they have the right to tax in game money for people to come on there land to hunt or mine. It is like in the real world when say a deer farm charges people to come hunt and kill a deer at there camp.

This is the most I can explain from what I read. I tried playing the game some after reading about some of deathifier's auctions he won. But the thing about this game is you pretty much have to keep spending money into the game and hope in return you someday make the money to support yourself in game without outside money getting spent.

Only way you can play for free is killing about 1500 mobs in starting area for a common drop item from monsters. most people want 1000 of the item and give people some cash for it. From there you have to buy weapons and gear to support yourself. Would take months of farming just to start the game without forking some real money into the game or having a friend loan you some ingame money.

Anyway hope that explains it a little better. Plus it was not 100,000 a month but a year look over the story again please. If it was 100,000 a month I think I would have cashed out my saving and started investing in the game. plus very few make 100,000 like he does and it cost it alot of money and time to buy and build those areas.

I just think it is cool how someone can make a living inside of a mmo game. I only wish I would have know of the game from the startup. I may have had more fun with it then.