Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 4:08PM Thilandril said

It's probably hard for people to divorce themselves from the memory of the past week or so, but...

I'm wondering if they hadn't come out with cash shop prices that were inflated beyond all reason, how would this revised price list have been received. If they started out at this price, would people have still felt they were high? Are the new prices reasonable, or just more reasonable than their ridiculous first offering?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 9:51PM (Unverified) said

As far as I'm concerned "Still too high".

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 10:23PM (Unverified) said

At least for the bag. Perfume is ok.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 12:32AM sandwiches said

Considering that around 3 and change will net you around 10 hours of play, It's too high. Not to mention you have to pay for many other necessary services like fast mana regen, food for your mount, etc. This quickly adds up to way more than a normal sub MMO.

No, thanks.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 1:26AM Rayko said

too late , thanks anyways G potato

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 5:52PM Bhima said

oh crap... you get the same FoD penalty from dying in PvP? I'd be willing to buy a mount and bag space. I'd even buy perfumes if I was raiding. But the fact that you need to buy them just to PvP means this IS a sub. game. Anyone know now what the revised cost is to PvP regularly in terms of dollars for perfumes? Like if someone PvP'd 10 hours a week, what would that mean in cost for a month? More than $15?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 6:22PM (Unverified) said

AFAIK the stack of 20 perfumes grants protection from FoD for 10 hours. So, with the new prices, $3.50 for 10 hours of play. For 10h/week, 40h/month it means $14 a month.

But as there are other ways to get rid of the FoD debuff, I don't know if Perfumes are as required for PvP as they seem to be for raiding.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 6:21PM sandwiches said

@mariachi,
that's $14 only if you play about 1.4 hours a day, max. Anything more than that, and you pay more. Not to mention money for bag space, mount food, mana regen, runes, etc, etc. It adds up very quickly.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 9:10PM Wensbane said

Well, for me, it isn't even about the insane prices anymore. I knew full well that they would have to change those, sooner or later.

It's about the poor implementation of their business model. Because I simply do not like the way Fear of Death works!
Having to worry about anti-debuff items everytime I participate in any sort of activity just isn't practical.

I find the DDO hybrid model far more convenient. I pay only for the content that I wish to enjoy and for (completely optional, but still nice) extras.
If I fail a quest, I fail a quest... if my group wipes, it wipes... there's no need for me to pull out my wallet everytime something goes wrong.

So, I'm sorry Shawn (and Rubi). I know you asked us to give these guys another chance, but I can't. Not when there are far more sensible alternatives on the market.

At the end of the day, it's companies like Turbine that deserve my support (and my money). Not those like Gala-Net.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 10:37PM octoberasian said

• 1 heart
I have to admit, this is much more reasonable than before. On top of which, they're more responsive and reactive compared to Square-Enix's lousy customer support for FFXI.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 3:19AM wjowski said

Too late. Playing Guild Wars.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 4:07AM shocktheshammy said

Im really loving this game and the prices for items came down to a totally resonable and expected level. Playin this fpr a bit each day is an awesome break from wow if for no other reason than to see different places and experience a few tweaks to what I am already familiar with. (No auto attack and Entropy real stand out for me.....)

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 6:33AM spamero said

seriously .. this game could have been big if they made it subscription based.. shame really.. as I liked it very much.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 7:39AM SkuzBukit said

Prices are better, but only because they were so utterly ridiculous before, but are they good enough? No.

This will be a game that it is only worth playing to level 20 & then reroll or quit, to play through to endgame it will become far too expensive for a dedicated gamer, only casuals will be able to afford it.

The FoD/Perfume mechanic being only PvE would be "ok" but in PvP? Game breaking to be the same, with the changes coming down the pipe this mechanic will only get worse.

Prices are only part of the story, the mechanics that screw the game up are turning what was a great game into a horrible moneysink for anyone but a truly casual 40 hours a month gamer, & the forced PvP is just a stupid move, the flagging for non-PvP is completely pointless when warbanners drop so much.

Yet another game ruined by greed, Mail.RU - FU.

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM