Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 4:19PM (Unverified) said

Echoing the sentiments of other long-time users of There.com, I am sad about the closing of There, but not surprised. I was a beta tester and occasional content creator (the "bones" and "bald eagle" hoverboard 3D models).

As rushuuna said, the main mistake made by the staff of There.com (long before it ever became Makena) was relying too heavily on users to generate content and run events. Critical mass is, well ... critical. They should have focused more on making better tools for users to create content and run truly compelling events. As it was, relatively few users were enterprising (and patient) enough to use the primitive content creation & event tools provided.

Also, the scale of the world was ridiculous - modeled to be the same size as planet Earth. It would have been much better to have several smaller worlds for people to explore and travel between than to have one massive world with only a few small islands. Basically, they created "Waterworld". ;)

The things Will Harvey and others got right - most notably, the advanced avatar system with compelling emotes & eye tracking - will live on in worlds to come. Hopefully, we'll continue to see more family-friendly 3D worlds in the near future.

For now, I'll close by quoting the wisdom of Buckaroo Banzai:
"Remember, no matter where you go, There you are."

G

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 7:24PM (Unverified) said

I cant believe, there has been so much fun for me and i found a lot of great games...it is just too sad, i wish there could be sold to any other company so we can still be there...or pay a fee monthly, i dont care, i dont want there to close :((((
my avatar name is (or was :-( ) marquetta1985..

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 8:04PM Evy said

I was a There member for quite some time. RIP There. :(

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 10:39PM (Unverified) said

hey hey i am a very good fan of there.com .......i wish it would not close there is a lot on here that would love for it to stay open so some one plese help keep it open......we have a lot of people on here that would love to pay more to keep it open.......so come you all please buy there.com........please......thank you randy_61 here 4 ever.................

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 4:05AM (Unverified) said

This is very sad. I am not a There member, but I have joined a few other sites. I can't imagine what it's like for the members and the staff to lose a place 7 years in the making. Such a shame.

For those members who are a little lost, I found an article on There alternatives. I hope it helps out.

Good luck to all of the members and staff.

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 1:37AM Vandell said

NEVER FORGET.. THE GRIEFER WHO WENT TOO FAR!

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 8:16AM (Unverified) said

The recent announcement to close There.com by CEO, Michael Wilson, has loyal There members in a state of shock. As I stood in Cosmo today listening to loyal members discuss the closing of There.com my emotions moved from shock, anxiety, sadness, and rapidly to disappointment all the while visiting a gamut of fleeting emotional upheavals along the way. We as a membership community have one thing in common and that is our social network. Michael has delivered a gut wrenching blow to thousands of worldwide friends, companions, and virtual life mates. I feel dread for those who have utilized There.com as a life saving mechanism because it will have a disastrous affect on those who have grown to trust and depend on this social site for contact with the outside world.

There were many angered members venting frustrations about the loss of money invested in the game and the fact that the owner continued to reap rewards of profit by keeping his intention of closing There hidden from the membership until the last minute. Given one week to close years of relationships has also unnerved people.

I am disappointed by the lack of empathy by the owner for the membership but this seems to be a repetitive theme by the majority of the rich who gain there fortune at the hand of deceit- a selfish nature or the ‘me’ syndrome is a standard required by many business people who have no heart. For me – I would rather have a heart any day of the week because without heart you have and are nothing!

Of course I am very disappointed in the investment I am losing – the homes, properties, collector series autos, furniture, and clothing, but, more importantly I am disappointed in the loss of virtual friends and acquaintances I will have no way of reaching before the March 9th deadline. This is one reason Sarav and I opened this forum on our blog site: We invite you to post blogs on any subject here http://gottagoblog.com and discuss there.com closing at http://forums.gottagoblog.com.

We value our There friends and want to keep in touch. We hope this forum will allow us the opportunity to keep in touch with those who have so influenced our lives with their presence. I will continue to post here and will stay in touch with all those dear to my heart.

As for There – it gave me the greatest gift of friendship I have ever known and that is my virtual life mate Sarav_dude. I will always be grateful for that! The memories of our meeting and courtship will remain in my heart forever…..Sarav proposed on Christmas eve and we planned to marry in There in the spring – our virtual wedding will be delayed as we decide where to live our virtual lives. We are two of the lucky ones – our lives were greatly enriched and we have crossed the virtual barrier into real life. Our lives will go on with or without There…

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 2:18PM Slayer said

I remember beta testing There and having alot of fun doing the races. Also made a few friends, but when I came back from a few months off they were gone.

Character's name is Slayer. I may log on a few times before the 9th to do some races.

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 12:04PM (Unverified) said

OMG Slayer I remember you! Marcy_D & Smiwi...

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 4:58PM (Unverified) said

Hello all. My name is kaleena, I am a Journalist from Kamloops British Columbia. I am writing an article on what makes inline MMOs successful, and/or how to become successful while playing them. if any of you that have commented on this article or it's author for that matter are willing to answer some questions for me I would greatly appreciate the help. If so email me at kaleena_loehr@hotmail.com

Posted: Mar 4th 2010 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Mar 6th 2010 12:00PM (Unverified) said

This makes me so so sad. I am also a There founder and played beta. I met my husband in There. We're married 5 years this past February. I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for the sweet environment.

Posted: Mar 8th 2010 4:08PM (Unverified) said

Hahaa, I loved There...
I was a member for 4 years, and the people I met are the most unique and loving I've come across.
4 years of memories, of friendship, and of loyalty.
No other games could test There...

I was known at 'MissyKitty1994'.

I wasn't the best buggy driver, paintballer, or anything, I was mediocre at it all.
I thought I had time to return and become better, but it seems I was wrong.

I'm going to miss There, I honestly will.
I put so much into it, and I was only given a week to find out it was closing? Bullshit, I say.

The people on that game molded me into who I am today, and trust me, I thank them every day for it.
They were once the reason for my happiness. :')
I was planning things with people to be on There 10 years from now, haha. Well, dream shattered.
I'll never find people like that again; but I don't want to, either.
Too special; too unique.

I just love There.

Posted: Mar 11th 2010 1:31AM (Unverified) said

Missykitty!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!! I remember you from wayy backk!!!! I am T_J_C lol!!!!! Dayummm

Posted: Mar 9th 2010 6:41AM (Unverified) said

I was a beta tester starting in Feb. 2003. I enjoyed my years in There and met some great people. Unfortunately, I didn't have the $$ to support There as much as I would like.

Another portion of my heart dies with the closing of this wonderful virtual world.

TQQdles™,

Noldor Numbwit
Eternal Newbie

Posted: Mar 10th 2010 4:13PM (Unverified) said

Over the last few years I've thoroughly enjoyed building in there.com, I wasn't much good with 3D-Modeling or painting models. I wasn't any good at buggy racing, or paintballing. I was however pretty decent at assembling buildings and decorating. I had owned several neighborhoods over the last couple years and my last one "ArrowWood" which went down with the closure was my most successful township.

I will truly miss there.com and moreso all the freinds I made over the many years here :(

Posted: Mar 19th 2010 4:31PM (Unverified) said

I was on almpst everyday for almost 3 years....then i got banned for some silly reason: Pretending to be an admin!! Can u believe it??!!

Posted: May 8th 2010 10:14PM (Unverified) said

Ugh... It sucks *so* much to think of all the fun I had on There and all the wonderful people I met... Indeed, I did quit last year (I got addicted to EQ2 with some of my There friends xD ), but it's almost physically painful to hear about this!

My friends and I hadn't been online in a while, and, I mean, I've heard about the closing, but... When I went to the website... So official.... So real. :(

I'm going to miss aimlessly flying around on my dragon, spending hours just to get the top score on popular hoverboard tracks, messing with noobs, helping noobs, random emotes that people would use out of nowhere JUST when you thought you knew them all... Shooting an idiot in the face with my paintball gun, having an argument over politics with them, then somehow end up dancing...

I'll miss you, There. R.I.P.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM