Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 11:25AM archipelagos said

Sad to hear. Every time I see a Spellborn story I want to download it again and play but the prospect of going through those abysmal quests is not appealing.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 11:32AM karnisov said

the pc mmo market isn't very big in jp, so the pullout is probably not due to a dire financial situation. the japanese are mostly into consoles and cell phones.

Posted: Mar 5th 2010 6:18AM (Unverified) said

You're forgeting handhelds and F2P games.
F2P games are HUGE in Japan (i know cos I live here)
And I was stunned when I saw a Ad for Spellborn while i was walking in town.
For a small company I think Spellborn did pretty well over here.... sad they had to leave but I can tell, the Japanese market is not for them.

Everything in Japan is the opposite to what people think here, they love grind fests, they love anime characters, and they love cash shops.
Many of my friends just grind till the lvl cap and then start spending tons of money on the cash shops. There is one expectation which is Monster Hunter Online... but that's more of a franchise and it's going to be really hard for new MMO Subscription based ones to lift off here in Japan. Even harder once FFXIV comes out.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

"A business deal could've gone sour, or perhaps the audience in Japan just wasn't strong enough to maintain the title"

...Or it could have to do with the game not being any good....

Just a thought. Last I heard it pretty much crashed and burned in the western market as well.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 7:42PM Graill440 said

This game failed purely because of the devs. they cant blame advertising or markets.

Devs dont listen, think they know it all, release buggy unfinished games and you have the result. Dont be suprised, be sad, it had some great points in it.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 12:43PM Aganazer said

Its actually a fantastic game for those that gave it a chance. I think a lot of people only ever played the first zone and then comment as if the whole game was like that. Most people never experienced the ongoing quest chains and how they are delivered throughout the course of the game. Some of the stories and writing are possibly the best I have seen in the genre.

Also, I bet most people formed their opinions of the combat while fighting bears at PeP 0 with the three starter skills during the first hour of gameplay. Once your character is developed, the combat system is amazing.

I think a lot of people simply never heard about the game because of the lack of publicity. Then more were turned off by Acclaim, GameGuard, or the odd method of subscription they initially required. In the MMO market a game either flies or it dies and this one had so many barriers in its way that it never even had a chance to take off. Its a shame because it was one of the more inspired, unique, and innovative MMOG's that we have seen. Now it will most likely collect dust as another example that investors can use to not innovate, to not try anything new, and to continue the trend of casualizing all new releases.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 1:16PM archipelagos said

There is a difference between giving something a chance and bending over backwards to let it prove itself. Pro-tip: consumers don't do the latter.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 1:25PM mmark said

I couldn't get past the terrible and unchangeable font that they chose for the text boxes - and then I learned that the one I hated was the 'improved' font.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 1:15PM BaronJuJu said

I remember SWG dropping its Asian servers with folks wailing that the death of SWG was immenent with that announcement. Yet, there it still is. Not all MMO's have worldwide appeal.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 5:47PM fatpanda said

well to be fair SWG might as well be dead these days.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2010 7:38PM Graill440 said

Unique combat, chooseable skillsets, friendly fire, line of sight combat. It still had a ton of combat imbalance, tons and tons of broken quests, really ignorant aquire hundreds of items quests, and crafting that had no resources to make anything with, and a very small world. Pvp was cookie cutter, mages and ranged ruled as in any other MMO.

Like Ryzom, Spellborn still has potential, in the right hands, but so do alot of the niche MMO's slowly failing.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 6:10AM Snichy said

Its a game I was always interested in trying but never got round to it. I just went to their website to look for details and under the "current news" section for "Spellborn Goes Free to Play While in Redevelopment" it states:

"Today, as you read this, Spellborn as it currently exists is now free to play. Keep in mind that there will be no upgrades and no patches. It has become in effect, an Action RPG with superior Multiplayer. The only thing it will cost you to play is the time it takes to download."

Sounds to me like its on its way out not just in Japan but everywhere....! Always sad to see :(

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014