Posted: Feb 28th 2010 3:47PM Riskichi said

My friends and I recently returned to Vana'diel after a 4 year absence. Already we are loving the easier leveling, and these announcements make me even more stoked.

Here's hoping a FFXIV and FFXI shared subscription comes down the pipe.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 1:02PM (Unverified) said

The level cap increase is GREAT for their existing players, but a nightmare for people like me who just returned to the game and had to start over. It was disappointing to hear the increase in level and an increase in focus on endgame events. One thing that Blizzard has mastered in the MMO genre that SE never will is the ability to cater to everyone on some level.

Now, if they come back and say they are going to double or triple xp for low level players in order to catch them up to the rest of the player base them I'm all on board.

But as of right now, I'm level 26 and just trying to complete Nation missions as well unlock various jobs. Adding 24 extra levels onto my climb on a game that is already sparse on people is a bad thing.

This may reinvigorate the game for people at level 75, but they've pretty much guaranteed that they won't gain many new subscribers.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 1:43PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I sadly have to agree. I just restarted.....and the low levels are horrid. It seems even worse than before because...well...there's no one here to level with. Maybe once I get a freaking subjob again will things change...but Valk is like the same 4 people over and over again trying to get through. It's harsh.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 2:36PM (Unverified) said

I agree with you 99%, but I have a lvl 75 Sam/War, and I can tell you this is not good for high levels. The reason is, lets say I want to level a Summoner, and its level 1, its going to take me more to level it now than it did before. I havent played in a while, and last I heard leveling now is faster than it was before (something about quest now), but I took me almost a year to level to 75 in the old system (LFG [and a good one for that matter] or grind forever for a tiny ammont of xp). This is another reason I will not return to the game. It as good, but raising the level cap to a game that's already insanly hard to level to cap is just not smart at all.

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 6:52AM (Unverified) said

riveragarciaea, leveling HAS become a lot easier.
* experience boost for small parties (3-4 people)
* better experience for mobs below even match (minimum for an easy prey is 30xp, and mobs stay easy prey for far longer.)
* fields of valor (+270 ~ 1600 exp/hour) which can also gives long-duration regen and refresh
* improved HP regeneration while healing (and no TP loss)

And with all the boosts SAM has gotten lately, it's one of the more popular jobs.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 3:14PM Kyrra said

• 1 heart
We have more coverage of VanaFest over at FF14News. http://www.ff14news.com

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 4:42PM myr said

I honestly don't understand why anyone would be upset over the level cap increase. If anything there will be more people to level with now, and with Level Sync, it doesn't matter if they're level 98 or level 11, they can group together.

If you don't enjoy leveling, why are you playing an MMO?

There wasn't a bad piece of news that came out of Vanafest, except maybe the fact that we'll have to pay for more mini-expansions (but the fact we're getting them is still good). I think it's time to reactivate :3

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 4:45PM (Unverified) said

My feminine counterpart and big FFXI fan asked me to play this to express her feelings (NSFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDbsG8C_qA

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 5:04PM (Unverified) said

The problem for new or returning players isn't lvling, it's lvl caps and rank missions and job unlocks and all the other progress barriers that FFXI throws at you constantly. The changes are exciting, and would have been brilliant... 4 years ago.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 6:17PM (Unverified) said

I think, though, 4 years ago, Square-Enix was still trying to get new players.

VanaFest was basically the announcement that SE finally admits the playerbase is not going to get any bigger, so we're going to concentrate on keeping what we have -- 2/3 of all players on being on 75's...

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 1:28PM (Unverified) said

I'm kinda torn on this. I'm mostly upset by this, but still holding out some hope that there will be some excitement to overcome the disaster that awaits.

The biggest issues are that the entire world is based on a level 75 cap. This includes the zones, weapons and armor and the subjob abilities. So while its interesting to see what we can accomplish as we unlock subjob abilities that we never got to use before, i am worried about gear. I've been working for years trying to complete my gear sets for my level 75 jobs. Now all the hard work and more importantly money is thrown out the window as this gear is now useless.

All my end game armor (or even just regular high level armor) is now 24+ levels below cap. Month after month of fighting for drops in dynamis is wasted. All current efforts in Limbus to get Homam gear is wasted. Not to mention the millions upon millions of gil that i've spent on other gear that is now useless. You can already see level 70+ gear prices dropping. Sure am glad i spent so much on this stuff. Time to start non stop farming to get all new gear. Cause you know it will be extremely hard to get and expensive for the people that don't have the means to get it for themselves.

All my level 75 jobs are merited at least a little bit. Where do the merits go? And if i haven't gotten all the merits i want, do i have to wait till level 99 to try for them again?

Also for everyone that is starting over, i think you're better off. You don't have all the wasted time and money. You just get to level up and then plan your characters based on a level cap of 99.