Posted: Feb 28th 2010 1:34PM Holgranth said

Its called open beta yet the cash shop is fuctioning and taking peoples money.

Oook.......

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 1:58PM thud said

Are you trying to be sarcastic?

Do any games wait until they go gold to open cash shops these days? Nope. Hell, most games hang out in "open beta" for a few YEARS just to be able to mask big bugs and slow fixes under the banner of "hey, it's still beta."

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 2:59PM Pingles said

I find it far more aggravating to be playing in Beta with the cash shop closed.

I don't mind throwing them a few bucks during development if I'm having fun.

That being said, when I tried Earth Eternal I had so many technical problems with the game engine I gave up. It is an intriguing game.

Perhaps they have straightened those out. I'll give this another shot.

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 1:56AM Ripper McGee said

Personally, I consider EE to be in a soft launch phase, due to them accepting money and considering that open beta has been going on since October. That being said, I accept that it's a work in progress and I'm pretty impressed with Sparkplay, in general.

I do think the game needs quite a bit of polish, but for a free, casual, 3D browser game on a relatively low budget, they've been able to accomplish quite a lot. They're already successful, in my mind, and the game will continue to improve.

In regards to Pingles comment, this last patch offered some significant improvements to performance. Prior to this patch, I was unable to run the game with AA and still have it be playable. With this patch, I now run the game at full 4X AA (the game's limit) and additional eye candy without killing performance. That's huge.

~Ripper

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 2:05AM Ripper McGee said

FYI, I've got two ongoing threads at mmorpg.com regarding my initial and subsequent impressions of the game. I've tried to put detail and thought into them, while still remaining as objective as I can. As you can see from the threads, I've updated them as the game's development continues to progress. There are some things that initially bothered me that have been changed and others that haven't.

~Ripper