Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:13PM (Unverified) said

Game is pretty neat, yet the controls are the worst I have ever encountered in an MMO. The camera angle and controls make the game not enjoyable at all.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:37PM (Unverified) said

Dav: I think you need to learn about the controls a bit more! :) It's just WASD movement, and clicking on items with your mouse.

There are shortcuts in game to put you in different view modes, so ask around next time in or look it up. (I am forgetting off the top of my head.) But, yeh, they're the same controls as with any standard MMO. You must have the other control scheme on right now.

Beau Turkey

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:59PM elocke said

No, he's right. I'm using the standard MMO controls, wasd to move, I switch back and forth between third person and first person, and my guy moves like he's a box. Very slow, very clunky. It is a pain to move around the world.

Amazing how many games, while possibly having some great content or mechanics, fail out of the gate due to unpolished controls and feel of movement and the UI.

I also think this is THE main reason WoW has 11 million subs, because of all the mmo's out there, it feels the best when you play it.

I digress. Myst Online is ok, more my Dad's style of game. I find that I overthink puzzles far too much and add aspects to each puzzle that aren't really practical because they are so far above what any dev. would ever create. But that's just me and how my brain works. Annoying.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 12:22AM mode7overworld said

I didn't think anyone had Myst this game.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 1:33AM Tizmah said

I'm sure a few were a little Myst eyed when they brought it back.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 3:40AM (Unverified) said

Bryan:

Do you know about the running? I mean, hold down shift or click the "always run" option. Running is uhm...you know...run speed. lol

Beau

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 3:42AM (Unverified) said

Also, the most popular games in the world actually use point-to-click, not WASD movement. Just sayin'.

Beau

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 10:01AM Gaugamela said

Oh yeah, definitely. WoW is the prime example of point to click movement.
Uhm... wait a minute...

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Can someone please give a little more information about this game? What is it like? Are you enjoying it?

I'm interested in playing and would really like to know what players think of this MMO.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 3:07PM (Unverified) said

Pedro:

WoW is by far not the most popular game in the world. It is the largest Pay to Play game, yes, but by far not the most popular. Most of the world uses the FTP click-to-move scheme.

Also, WoW incorporates click-to-move, as well.

Khai: the game is essentially a series of puzzles that you can walk through to solve and explore. If you have ever played a Myst stand-alone game then take that experience but throw in your own player house and the ability to meet up with hundreds of other people.

You can even invite others to come into your puzzles (or "ages") with you, to help you look for clues. But, be warned: they are no easy puzzles. While there are spoilers out there, the community is generally very leery of posting a spoiler without full warning first.

It's a different game, and free. If you like it, throw them a donation! :)

Beau Turkey

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 3:57AM (Unverified) said

Beau,

I've been away from Myst Online for so long, pretty much since it left Game-Tap. It was in limbo for so long I even stopped looking on the fan sites and forums. Now that it's back, there is SO much going on, my head's spinning. When I played a few years back, I got through maybe...two ages, before the giant stain glass mirror puzzle in the third age knocked me on my butt. Anyway, that was around the time the Cavern was being closed down so I went my seperate way. Now that it's back along with my Relto, I just wanted to know what to expect. Are things the same way everything was left? Have new Ages been addded? Do we have 'any' involvement from the Original Myst team and writers, or are we completely on our own concerning whatever the D'ni left behind? I'll likely be getting my Ki tommorrow, and it's be nice to know what to expect once I delve into the Cleft once again...

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 10:09AM (Unverified) said

Joey:

It sounds like you were about as far as I was in the Game Tap days. From what I can tell, the game hasn't changed and the Cavern is just more active than I ever remember seeing it.

New Ages, I think, are eventually supposed to come from players. From what I understand, Cyan is running these servers on donations, but eventually the open-source stuff (player made ages) will be available.

So yeh, Cyan is involved but it seems like this game might be perfectly suited for a FTP/Freemium type of model. I would not be surprised if they opened up a sub, though, but kept it minimal. I would suggest doing what I did, logging back in and getting back to the point you were before it stumped ya, then trying to find some help at this party or somewhere else.

Good luck!