Posted: Feb 26th 2010 8:32PM CCon99 said

Likely going to be to little to late for this game. Their forums are filled with people bored to tears because it only takes a week to get to max level and they're already bored with nothing to do before their first free 30 days are even up.

It's also funny after all the ignoring they did of their beta testers who wanted the game to be more challenging but were told no that easy mode was the way to go, now after all the refunds and canceling they now want to add a deeper crafting system, a death penalty, and mission difficulty sliders to the game....

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 9:11PM dudemanjac said

Right. How the hell did they think the crafting (shopping) was going to be enough? I will say that now that I've gotten to the point where are nicer things to buy if i get the initial pieces, it still feels lame. I want to get materials. Make some use of all those asteroids they have out there.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 1:05PM yeppers said

State of the game? People who pre-ordered are PO'd on the forums about the price drops and some editions offering 90 days free play time. That's the state of the game... sadly.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 9:00PM (Unverified) said

It's strikes me that barring some of the raid content and mission fixes/balancing...it's all stuff that you've come to expect would be in any MMO at Launch.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 11:10PM Graill440 said

Imagine if the screwup devs had made this game like this.....

An immense universe, with playable races like the ferengi for trade and craft.... other races factions from the star trek lore with neutral zones in their own vast reaches of space in which players venturing in would be taking chances......... being able to find...new worlds, new civilizations to explore and level on, going where no other player had gone before...........*snicker* sorry, just teasing those lifetime subbers.

But the hapless sheep have a jj abrams piece crap world released by inept devs with no talent. Bravo cryptic, bravo.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

I already left in under 3 weeks of play.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 12:53AM pcgneurotic said

• 1 heart
NB: Players making it to the level cap in only a few weeks are the no-lifers - no school, no job, living with mother etc. Those players with jobs, families and adult responsibilities are actually taking normal, healthy amounts of time to level - seeing all the content, enjoying the missions, exploring etc.

(Just wanted to add that because some people will believe anything they read).

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 2:10AM misterorff said

I was in Closed and Open Beta and a Head-Starter... JUST hit Admiral tonight. Having a blast! I'm in a great Fleet and have fun grouping with them. I am very happy with the game so far. I think it deserves the "6" reviews it is getting because it needs a LOT of work; however, its still a lot of fun. I will be sticking around to see what the future holds with STO.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 2:52AM CCon99 said

So I'm confused, by reading your comment, I shouldn't believe it? ; )

These "no-lifers" you despise of so much, probably got to max level by the end of the head start weekend (I remember a Dev tweeting how amazed they were that there were like 112 players who reached max level before head start ended). The average player seems to get there in about 2-3 weeks.

I'm a working mother of 2 and I was able to get to RA5 in about 18 days and there isn't one mission left to take or left in my journal (except explore repeats and PvP ones) because I did them all and actually read them as well. The fleet I'm in (about 15-20 members) also are all max level with the exception of 3-4 players ( I know one of them were close). I wouldn't consider any of us hardcore gamers, hell we even stopped doing missions most nights to take time to actually roleplay as well (we're an RP Fleet).

I don't know, the game is just far to simple. To me it just seemed levels 20-45 go by far to quick, some of those missions give almost a full level of experience. Sad thing is, with the exception of PvP and Fleet Actions, I still haven't died once yet on ground or in space.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 3:53AM (Unverified) said

The only no-lifers are the RA5s I saw 5 or 6 days after headstart. To echo everyone else, hitting max level in 3 weeks doesn't take much. I'm only level 31, but I've taken the game at a pretty casual pace, and spent time PvPing on my Klingon alt.

However, my main comment is about the tone of the SotG letter. It really kinda irked me. The tone, and the sheer hubris. Stuff like this:

"Some people get that. Some people don't. We're here for those that do.

Throughout development, we guessed Star Trek Online might be polarizing. Some people don't get it and some people simply don't like it."

I think the people "not getting it" is the devs. If they have a narrow vision of a game, and its their own original IP, fine. They can't go and make something as widely liked as ST into a narrow vision. And I don't mean the combat focus, I'm okay with that. Its just the sheer shallowness of the content (rather than lack of content) and its extreme linearity.

Oh, and this really got me:

"We guessed this and still we made a conscious decision to not water things down and go "mass market"."

Don't worry, its not mass market, because I doubt its got much of a market at all. A game where all interaction is Press-F or hit "continue" on the dialog box is pretty much watered down.

Mind you, I do hope they can turn the game around. I like the ship combat, ground combat is decent (AI pathfinding is the worst I've ever seen tho), and some of the star systems are truly beautiful. But the first step to turning the game around is to truly acknowledge its shortcomings, and not go for the tone in this SotG letter.

PS - if I beam down to a Romulan colony world and have to treat sick Romulans, dontcha think those Romulans should look like Romulans and not Starfleet officers? Obvious bugs like this litter the game. Things that should not pass basic QA...

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 8:02AM (Unverified) said

After reading that letter those features all strike me as things that should have been implemented before release. I was stupid enough to buy the special edition, which was pretty much the most disappointing special edition I've ever seen, and I doubt I'll continue my account longer than the free month. Initially space combat was awesome, but I find the missions mind-numbingly tedious. I'd rather go back to WoW and do dailies to be honest. Because of those two factors, I doubt if I'd ever try another Cryptic MMO (compounded by that embarrassing Champions online debacle)

Whoever's decision it was to push STO out in 2 years and change sunk this game. It needed at least another year of development time. I think you're going to see this game a ghost town in six months, and it's a shame because there's loads of potential.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 9:27AM (Unverified) said

I think it going to be a ghost town a lot sooner than six months with the latest stunt they just pulled. They have effective screwed over every customer that has purchased the game by offer not only a discounted price of purchase, but 60 extra days of free play time with that purchase. They are doing their best to kill the game before they even have to improve it.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:42AM dudemanjac said

Yes. I'm plenty pissed about that. if anyone should be getting free time, it's the ppl who have dealt with the game in it's roughest. Not that I really have that much trouble with bugs, definitely nothing game breaking.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 1:19PM (Unverified) said

No endgame whatsoever. I casually hit max rank on not one but TWO characters and have absolutely nothing to do at endgame!

This game is fail, IMO.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 6:27PM Dread said

I've been playing this very casually since BETA and as of last night I am L36...and I play 2-3 hours max every two or three days.

Its a fun game in stints, if you played it 8+ hours a day it would be boring, simplistic and repeattive. But coming and going every few days keeps it going for me.

The question is...what do they plan on doing with level cap increases? If every bastard is a Rear Admiral after a month or two. The only sensible thing I can see is a major rejigging of the rank system and everyone gets dragged back down to Captain or so, still the same level, just a major reworking of the rank titles. Because after Rear Admiral there's not a lot of movement you can go upwards.....

WW2 Online did something similar after 2 or 3 years of live and every bastard being a Colonel, worked well.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 7:02PM Luk said

I am amazed to see all those commenters who were defending this game and Cryptic a month ago, now realizing that the "emperor has no clothes".

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 12:40AM (Unverified) said

The people who are claiming only no lifers are Admiral are full of it. My /played to Admiral (taking my time and doing every mission) was just over three days. If you know what you are doing you could get that /played down to 2 days or even lower.

I played for 4-6 hours a day (which was nothing special for over uni break, I have played 4+ hours a day during uni) with some longer periods on weekends and hit Admiral in two weeks.

And there is little re-playability. Every career plays roughly the same with just some minor abilities to make them different. Klingons are a joke of a faction, and the PVP system is pretty crap.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story