Posted: Feb 26th 2010 1:25PM wjowski said

• Half a heart
I'd play it if Turbine wasn't selling gear and permanent stat boosts in the store.

As it stands now I refuse to subsidize this.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:10PM (Unverified) said

Grats to Turbine - a truly quality MMO. In terms of interactive content, ease and yet sophistication of class builds and gear, and partying options, it's right behind WoW and LotRO in my opinion. I really wish they would just do two things:

1. Give it a slight graphical overhaul. It's pretty under DX10, but the character models could use some more diversity, and overall it's far less detailed than LoTRO. Same development studio, I figure it wouldn't kill them to develop some new assets with all of the money they're banking

2. Allow non-instant PayPal payments for DDO Store points. I don't mind waiting 3-5 business days if I can avoid using my credit card for trivial micro transactions.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 3:37PM fedfierce said

Yay for DDO. :)

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 3:38PM Valentina said

Awesome for them, they're a great development studio that genuinely cares about their games.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:22PM Its Utakata stupid said

I will be the first to admit I'm very disrusting of F2P's with MT's...but it appears this premuim hybrid that Trubine is using appears to be working very well. I don't presume however this model fits all...since their other product LoTRO seems to be having a lot of success just with it's oldskool sub mechanic. So games that are already doing well need not switch over...

...but this hybrid model will likely be more suitable for other "struggling" games like Champions, Warhammer, Allods and perhaps even STO. I hope these games' proprietors are paying attention to DDO.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

F2P game companies should look long and hard at what Turbine is doing with DDO's pricing model.. *cough* Allods

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 12:13AM SkuzBukit said

Turbine's DDO F2P wouldn't be suitable for just any game, it fits DO's design perfecty though.

The F2P companies should take it as an example of providing a fully functional game where the store adds to an already good game rather than bringing a very frustrating, gimped & handicapped experience to a playable & enjoyable state.

My biggest bugbear with 99% of F2P games is the greed of the store damaging the gameplay & the design of every element of the game to milk your wallet, Turbine have shown it really isn't necessary to do that if you offer a quality product.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 9:09AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Pay to Win 'games' are just for losers who should be using IMVU, not my MMORPGs.

I will never support a game that features in game rewards as purchaseable MT. You guys are just cash cows queuing up at the cattle shed to be milked, it's tragic.

There is only 1 reason devs like MT and thats because it makes them so much more money, and that money can only come from YOU. When you argue for MT games you argue for a more expensive game, just with it's true cost to play hidden.

Why on earth would you want that?

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:47AM (Unverified) said

Nothing is hidden, and apart from running big Polish D&D Online Portal, I've never spent a any money on this game yet.

Great game, great MMO even in P2P standards, just jump in and play - no credit card needed!

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 10:08AM (Unverified) said

DDO was a great game at release, and Turbine worked hard over the past 4 years to improve the game making it 10x better now. I returned casually shortly after it went F2P, and I have nothing but good things to say about the game. It's just awesome, and the absolute best free game out there by a mile and a half. Keep it up Turbine.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 10:52AM Misterlee said

That's amazing, way to turn around a game! Grats to them.

The Stream Team: Dota 2's 6.82 madness