Posted: Feb 26th 2010 3:47PM Anatidae said

The first issues will sell like mad. But then customers will realize they have to read all the words to understand the content. It won't help that NCSoft will write long winded articles either.

Eventually the reading grind will hurt the subscription numbers and result in the subscribers asking for the easier to digest features they quest for.

Of course, a loud minority of cancelers will seek the next big E-Zine and do their best to flame the Aion Magazine until the mythical "Nirvana Magazine" appears.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:27PM Barinthos said

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Everyone knows that it's going to have nothing but gold spam and selling ads on top of all the articles so you can't read all the words.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

This is too funny. In a time when magazines are going out of business, they think they are in the same league as WoW and have an audience that can support a magazine? Shows how clueless NCSoft is. Expect to see Cryptic announce their own magazine soon too.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
On the contrary. Magazines are doing fine. I've worked at a bookstore for over 5 years, and there's never been any news or decline in the numbers we sold.

There's actually a magazine for just about anything you could think of. I think, for the most part, people enjoy recreational reading.

Besides, how would people survive long waits in doctor offices, without magazines? They are an important part of our social and economic ecosystem:)

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 9:55PM (Unverified) said

@Jeremy S.

I work in the advertising/pr business and we've seen a dozen or so magazines go under in the last few years. Magazine sales, and more specifically ad revenue, has been on a decline for several years now. You may not see it much on the retail front because the publishers with deep pockets are able to soak up the loss in revenue -- at least for now. It's quite a gloomy outlook though.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:10PM (Unverified) said

What an interesting thing to do.
Take a widely spread feature which for all i know has never been charged for on any game i played. The famous "eye on community, dev diary, insider... or whatever you call it"
Add some virtual goods that wont cost a dime to the editor to create an exciting package you are actually not ashamed to advertise for.

Goal achieved, by assembling them, you created a marketable product out of two items you provided for free.

You gotta love it.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:12PM (Unverified) said

I remember the days of Nintendo Power. It was fun to have a magazine. I think there's potential here... but each issue should include something valuable for the game. It would be like micro-transactions, in the form of a magazine.

I'm not that familiar with Aion... but I'm imagining a Guild Wars magazine, with the equivalent of 50,000 gold per month as a bonus prize. It seems like it could be successful.

As someone who made a Guild Wars E-Zine for years, people do like to read... but giving them something that they want to read consistently is a tricky thing to do.

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 5:02AM Lionhearted said

Giving them something they want to pay to read, when there's plenty of free content just as good, is even trickier.

Linking content with in-game bonuses will sell magazines, to be sure, but then it's glorified micro transactions, which can certainly have negative implications in games if companies aren't careful.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:19PM Thac0 said

EvE has EON magazine and its rather good, but in like AIon it has stuff to write about. What can you write about Aion that will fill a magazine, it can't be very interesting.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 5:27PM (Unverified) said

So a game with next to no content thinks its going to have enough content to fill a magazine? How many pages of gold seller ads can they possibly have?

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 5:38PM (Unverified) said

I haven't played the game, but as far as magazines based on games. I think it's a wonderful idea. Magazines exist for everything. You can find magazines devoted to single pieces of fruit, single dads, specific kinds of boats, and on and on...

Some games are bigger than others, as far as content, but they are all these fun living, breathing communities. I think there's many ways to choose from too, when approaching a magazine based off a particular MMORPG. Player created stories; tons of statistical information for monsters, NPCs, players, and items; gossip columns ripe with guild falling-outs, ganking, personal and achievement based rankings, and who knows what else.

I love this kind of offline community. Pulling resources from many fansites, forums, and in-game content I think could not only fill up a lot of issues, but I could see it easily making the creation of brand new community content enjoyable and worthwhile. I think there's a viable market for almost any major MMORPG to have it's own monthly or bi-monthly magazine.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 6:45PM Xii said

This is such a terrible idea. $15/mo isn't enough anymore? What on Earth could they possibly tell you that wikis/game sites/forums/etc can't? I realize they have better access to the developers, but any news will eventually make its way to the rest of the players.

The only reason I could ever see anyone getting this is for the items. It's just a cash shop in another form.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 7:33PM TheJackman said

First of all this is not a Aion magazine. Its more like a updated newsletter where they have you pay for there marketing crap. Aion is far from the honors of a Magazine. Aion not even is a full game yet it got near to noting of content and still put bugs all over the place that make the game sometimes unplayable. This is like a failed pvp game that need "look whats coming" trailers to keep its sub number up.

The only thing Aion is good for is proof a point. Pretty graphics is not the same like good game play!

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 9:56PM spamero said

"Preorder now and receive five True Black or True White Dyes."

lol seriously those guys should do some reality check

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 6:44AM markt50 said

I'm afraid I'm a little out of touch with Aion since I cancelled my account after the 30 free days when it launched. I didn't even know it had an item store, which would have had me rushing for the cancel button if I hadn't already hit it.

This seems like a dreadful money grab to me, so they are now basically asking customers to pay for "box+sub+Itemstore+Patchnotes with 'free' item store goodies".

How intrussive are the items available on the store, have they got stuff up like XP pots, healing pots etc, is it just cosmetic ? or have they gone the whole hog and put up uber leet weapons and armour etc ? Sounds more like the the kind of move I would expect from a F2P game to be honest, but then like I said, I haven't really kept in touch much about this game.

Posted: Mar 7th 2010 11:56AM (Unverified) said

What item store are you talking about? They now have paid services much like WoW and every other MMORPG has. Magazine is not even out yet so what makes anyone think it's just patch notes FFS. Wait and see before commenting on content.
I do wish though it was not online flash content only though. Would have been nice to be able to read it offline or even on an iPad. I spend too much time at the desk to want to sit there to read a magazine as well, and a magazine is not worth it if you can't read it while taking a cr*p.

Posted: Feb 27th 2010 1:20PM wjowski said

Did anyone else see the true black dye and wonder why UO was advertising for Aion?

Posted: Feb 28th 2010 4:36AM Lionhearted said

LOL this is the most cleverly marketed microtransaction *ever*.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM