Posted: Feb 26th 2010 1:31PM Mr Angry said

While I like being heroic, I find it pretty tedious and boring listening to other players and their accomplishments. I can empathize with the character I play to a limited degree and the difficulty I've had beating content, but I really have a hard time listing to 'Mcluvenpvplol' harp on about how he/she can solo content within hours of it being released and how heroic they are?

I'd rather have a scale of heroism, where players > PvE content on the whole and able to fight many mobs at once, but on the player side, people are distinguished by their own achievements and to be heroic, you have to act heroic.

Interesting read Sera, as always!

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 1:43PM Prisemy said

Totally agree.

I love the way The Secret World has handed out some clues to only a few of the members of the community. I didn't have to be the one who got the clue. I didn't have to be there when it happened. None the less, I love reading about it and trying to figure out what the next step will be.

If TSW continues this throughout the release of the game I will have finally found my one true MMO.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 1:52PM Scopique said

I attended a few of the staged events in MxO when I played, and I admit, that was pretty exciting. Not only did it give you a sense that you were one of a few who got to see and participate in something that will never happen again, but because it was a known IP, there was also the feeling that you were getting a stage show featuring well known characters...who were talking to YOU (you being a small group of people)

But yeah, the fear of isolating those few who CAN make it, and the greater fear of having to listen to people bitch about not being there may be a pretty big speedbump in this kind of system. But if I remember properly, not all MxO events "just happened". The ones I found had been announced beforehand, allowing for scheduling. Plus, if different events happen enough, then the odds increase that you may be able to hit one at some point.

And Mr. Angry, I think the point was more that the discussion of the experience is what helps the game, not the blow-by-blow description of what a player did for themselves. If I said there was an event in the game where I got to talk to and fight alongside {Insert well known NPC personality from the game here}, it's something that I might be excited to relate.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 1:57PM Seraphina Brennan said

No doubt that there is always a falling out when some people can't make it to an event. They'll be sad, but most of the time they'll be eager to keep an eye out for an event they can make it to.

But, on the flip side, the dissatisfaction from not making it to events was nothing compared to when events were discontinued for a time in MxO. People got crazy unhappy because many of them were there not to actually play the game, but to see the events. I remember people who never even attended an event were unhappy with events being discontinued, simply because they lost the chance to have a moment with an event.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 4:17PM Greeen said

I don't think I really felt heroic that often in an MMO. I think in WROTLK in Northrend was a scene where you fight together with Orcs. That was about the only time.
Otherwise it is the games such as Dragon Age that make feel heroic, when the final battle is near and the moral-pepping speech sends shivers down your spine.

Regarding live events, I agree, they have goods and bads. MxO was cool, but it usually was on US time, so when in Europe, being up at 2 in the morning to perhaps or perhaps not to meet Morpheus wasn't that cool in the end.

Ultima Online has still these small events, when Lord British(? can't remember, was so long ago) appears. They felt "just right" in impact and frequency.

And something like that is necessary to "hang out" and do other than crafting and killing. LOTRO is such an example. I could be there just to hang out in the Shire. But nothing goes on, and all the chat of guild is about some quest here, some raid there, even in the RPish ones.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:08PM (Unverified) said

I still remember in Underlight when sometimes the GMs would play the bad guys and bring a special kind of havoc to the Dreamscape.

Great article.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:09PM Seraphina Brennan said

HOLY CRAP DID YOU SAY UNDERLIGHT?!?!

SOMEONE REMEMBERS THAT GAME?!?!

You, sir, are a winner. =^_^=

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:18PM Pingles said

Great article but I admit I was hoping this was a "History of the MMO" article.

I think I'd actually buy a book about the history of MMOs...

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:45PM (Unverified) said

As a former Seer for Ultima Online, I completely believe in the power of the live event. I feel the pros outweigh the cons heavily.

It's a shame that it's really not considered a part of the feature set of most MMORPGs these days. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 5:13PM Sunlover said

Did a double take upon seeing the picture used under the headline for this article.

At first, I thought to myself, "Hmm, nice image." Then, something magical happened. "Wait a second!" I said. My mind began putting together the parts of the picture rapidly, pulling other, older images from deep within my mind up to the surface and quickly referencing them with this new image.

I began to hear names from my childhood being called out ever so lightly and finally building to a happily surprised shout. "Yang? Edge? Kain?! Rydia, yes! Rosa and Cecil! And prince Edward!"

I had never seen this picture before and was still able to recognize this as the cast of Final Fantasy II. (Yes, I know, it's actually part IV. I first played the game as FF II on the SNES. Great memories!) I think it's amazing how those 16-bit SNES sprites have embedded themselves into my memories. What a great game that was, and what a great story it told. Although I had played other RPGs before it, FF II was the game that began what would become a lifelong love of RPGs and eventually MMORPGs. To tie all this in, Final Fantasy II and I share some great history.

Great image. Thanks for the memories and all the great reading you provide here on Massively!

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 6:01PM (Unverified) said

This is how I've felt for a long time. I was surprised to not get much interest when I shared it with my guild mates. Perhaps I didn't accurately describe my ideas, but most just said, live events would have to cater to everyone. They felt that it sounds like it would work in theory, but that the majority probably wouldn't care, unless it was strictly done in a roleplaying server.

I don't know. I think it'd work and would love to see this done. Maybe we'll see something akin to this in Heroes of Telara.

I'm sure developers have considered it, but it probably just doesn't fit into the reward being worth the time and energy it would take to implement.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 6:14PM Gaugamela said

I was actually hoping to see you write something about the Allods Online cash shop fiasco.
This Anti-Aliased is a bit of a disapointment since you always seem to pick controversial topics in the appropriate moment and write about them in a way that fosters awesome discussions. I think you missed an opportunity this time.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 6:40PM Seraphina Brennan said

You're right Pedro. Normally I go after the week's controversial topic, and the Allods Online cash shop was my original topic for this week. However, I steered clear of it for two reasons.

1. Dear god has this story been beaten to death. We've been over the story with multiple perspectives.... which leads me to..

2. Everything that I would have said in that article was said this Wednesday during our podcast, Massively Speaking. :3 Certainly throw your opinions over there and start a discussion! Plus, we went on to interview the associate producer of Allods, so you can hear their side as well.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 6:43PM (Unverified) said

Good read, I really like the idea of holding an event with live NPC's. I'll keep that in mind while designing.

It also gave a me couple of other good idea's. Some games already have them, just not with as big a bang as I vision.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 7:21PM Gaugamela said

I just wanted to read your opinions about this, and i was hoping to see a nice discussion fostered about the free to play revenue model and the subscription model. Something bigger than a simple discussion about Allods.

It would be cool to read something about Allods PR debacle and the latest press release from Turbine about DD Online for example (they more than doubled their subscription numbers and are making money of microtransactions as well...).

Or why are the subscription plan options minimum limits always a month? Why aren't there any subscription based game that offer weekly subscription options? Something that allows the player base to have more flexibility?
Well, i am not a blogger so i am only limited to speaking of the issues at hand and it seems that this piece still raised some interest so i guess i should just move on.

Posted: Mar 1st 2010 4:38AM Temko said

WTB Ultima Online Balor rampage in Yew.

i lost a lot of Dragons that day.