Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 12:38PM (Unverified) said

I really like the idea of this game and the ARG, but I've got learning difficulties and it really annoys me because I'm not smart enough to understand all of the puzzles : (

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:26PM Sabbatai said

Do you have learning difficulties or do you just think differently? I was told simultaneously that I had learning difficulties and that I was one of the smartest kids in the class and wasn't being challenged. I was in both "gifted and talented" classes which were "level 5" despite there only being 4 levels... and "remedial" or "special education level 1" classes. In one year of highschool I was in both level 1 Math and Advanced Placement Physics. Go figure.

I have a much "smarter job" than most of the people I went to school with so...

On the topic of ARGs I wish I could participate as more than an observer but that rarely happens. If there is a website address on a sign in a game or movie then yeah..I can "figure that out". Sometimes they are a lot more involved.

Sometimes the secret to to the code is figuring out that there is a code in the first place.

Like in the NIN Year Zero ARG. There were music samples hidden at a concert on flash drives that would reveal pictures of what looked like forum avatars when played through particular software. Someone figured out where the avatars were from and that they were the real avatars of both new and longtime forum members. Then someone figured out that if you listed the names of all the people and took the first letter from each that it spelled out a website address.

Some of my details may be wrong there but the gist of it is correct. I'd never have figured something like that out.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:29PM Sabbatai said

Oh yeah about school... I was also in AP Literature and taking and excelling at Latin language while also sitting through Level 1 history.

I just didn't like history.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 12:58PM yeppers said

After getting burned by multiple MMOs falling short of expectations upon release, I'm comforted to know the pre-beta hype is going to be more difficult to find and/or puzzle-out.

Still... guardedly interested in this game.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 1:31PM Rayko said

I love when mmo's have easter eggs and hidden info on other sites. The Matrix Online did this with http://www.metacortechs.com/main.html. My roomate stumbled across this site. They even had a phone you could call and either eneter a code ( which we never hacked ) or leave a message. We would tell leave a messages saying we know what they are up to and stuff, lol. I twas a tad nerdy but very cool way to add another level of realism.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 1:34PM Rayko said

Just called my old roomate about this and it turns out this was not connected directley to MXO; but it is still a good example of a the extra mile games can go.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 1:59PM Lateris said

I love ARG games. I seriously want to design one for fun!

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:29PM Loki1 said

• Half a heart
Uhm sure, all cool.

But is this a WoW-clone or not?

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:32PM Anatidae said

Hype me when it is in open beta.

Hear that game developers? Take a page from Apple. They generate terrific hype by actually not watering down their release by talking about it months/years before release.

Honestly, you get me all excited, then I know I have to wait one, two, four years? Or like Jumpgate:Evolution... unknown? After a while it just becomes noise and I could give a crap if you release. Then when you do, the hype engine has been spent and at that point I listen to reviews more closely to see if it is worth it.

It seems to me the point of marketing hype is to get me to make an emotional purchase. You'll probably want to actually have the product ready to purchase while I am still emotionally compromised - not two years later.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

A game like this really needs to have a lot of tools for roleplayers. If they have enough so that one is able to really immerse themselves in this - they will corner the market for the vampirefetish crowd which currently have no home in MMORPG.

BTW, as a Mainer...Maine is just as scary as it is made out to be in film and literature. That blog was creepy. Should of kept out the computer graphics of the monsters though and kept the blurry photos.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 6:59AM Squiver said

Well we in the community had previously been given next to no screenshots. Maybe little over twenty exist total, and many of them are essentially repeats of the exact same location shot.

This is only the second time we've been given even the slightest peak at in-game mobs. So, essentially, half the point of the blog was to give us that slight, albeit enigmatic shot of the monsters we will be facing in-game.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 4:19PM Joshua Przygocki said

If Funcom screws this one up... well I can't say more or I'd BE one of the monsters...

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM