Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:22PM (Unverified) said

Personally I don't like it, dunno maybe it is having used the normal viewer for so long this is just a bit much to get used to. All the new features seem to take up loads of screen real estate....Honestly those slide out panels, and the new version of blue box menus really suck for me. As well as the weird im notification in the bottom right hand corner of the screen...I hope they might possible offer a function of using the old UI with the new features.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 6:59PM (Unverified) said

Curiously, despite the feeling that the individual features take up more space, I find that I practically have *more* space *available* for the things I am currently working on.
Viewer 2.0 lends itself better to stashing what you're not immediately using off in a corner, without losing it completely. The iconifying of chat windows (combined with keeping one or more "main" window torn off as a permanent window) is an example, rather than having to have a big chat window open to even see all the tabs.
The notifications feels a little "brittle", somehow, like it is too easy to accidentally lose one, but it may just be habit; not sure.
I find the "browser teleport" pretty pointless, though.

There are some kinks which needs to be worked out, but overall, I'm positive so far.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:59PM (Unverified) said

I had some inventory issues probably related to not clearing cache on 1.23 before trying 2.0, but all in all, I like the UI better and think that it will be a selling point to try and drag friends onto SL. 2.0=more integration with familiar 2D web?

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 4:33PM (Unverified) said

A posting to the opensource-dev mailing list confirmed that Snowglobe 2.0 is released today.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 5:24PM (Unverified) said

I'm curious if the teleport history wll break Landing Points, or vise-versa.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 8:24PM (Unverified) said

I think the new interface is a big step forward, and a lot easier to use. I like how the screen ends up being a lot less cluttered than before with all the different windows hanging around.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 2:01AM (Unverified) said

I hate how when opening the inventory window the your view of inworld shrinks to the left, the inventory window instead should overlap and cover what behind it..I really love the html on a prim! Try it...it will play a youtube video right away by dragging the url of the page

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 3:47AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Slashdot has featured SL's backstepping out of the GPL today.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 10:01AM (Unverified) said

I'll be talking about that some over the next couple of days.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 7:29AM (Unverified) said

The new Linden viewer is useful like an ATM machine at the North Pole. Am I being unfair? lol.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

It's obvious you're not an SL user, Issac. ;)

If you're implying that the grid lacks population or economic activity, you're uninformed.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 8:35PM (Unverified) said

@ Nadine Neddings

No, I was not implying that SL's economy or population is lacking; this new viewer could hurt it, however. I was implying that the new LL viewer it is not highly useful. I am inclined to say it is a real dog but it's too early to condemn it completely. I will decide soon, I log into SL almost daily, and have been for years. :)

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 8:54PM (Unverified) said

I think the new viewer has a few issues. Software's generally at its worst when the designer forgets to focus on being appropriately simple, and instead tries to make it *helpful* while forgetting that the intent of the user is opaque. The new viewer seems to have a couple of those moments.

That said, I don't find the new viewer to be much of a change. Aside from the new features, it's a cosmetic reshuffle to me and not all that large a one.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 1:33AM (Unverified) said

Don't make me have to defend you again, Tateru!!

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 11:21AM (Unverified) said

I'm a little disappointed at the general feel of "just a new skin on the same code", but I sort of expected it, from the comments which accumulated over the development time.
The big question is how much this is a rewrite of the whole framework to make future enhancements and plugins easier, but the "cosmetic reshuffle vibe" doesn't make me too optimistic about that.

It feels a bit too much like a "one-point-uh-oh" version, with some good ideas which aren't really finished, and there is also a bit of a grating feeling that it is designed to cater to one "correct use of SL", and not as a tool for all sorts of users.

Overall, I see potential and some good ideas I'd like to see taken further, but there are so many "not quite there yet" things that I think it'll create a massive backlash if LL pushes this too hard on people in its current form.

And with the secretive development, the open source teams which could help finalize and tweak all the good ideas are set many, many months back.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 4:09PM (Unverified) said

I HATE the new viewer!!!

Okay, I know a lot of people are 'oh, the oldbies hate anything new' but we can give some concrete reasons. For one, the ADA non-compliance issues that were introduced with this client.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 5:16PM (Unverified) said

Lindens keep telling me the viewer gets out of beta in 1 quarter.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 7:23PM (Unverified) said

That would be interesting. It's a long time for a feature-frozen viewer to stay out, though.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2010 4:37PM (Unverified) said

I tried the Beta 2 viewer, I was so disgusted with it I downloaded Emerald viewer and will use that.
Linden Labs tell us all everybody really likes Beta 2, I've not met a single person in SL who agrees with them. But then Linden Labs aren't renowned for actually listening to their users of SL.