Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 9:04PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Reign is a verb. Rein is a noun. The expression 'take the reins' or 'rein it in' refers to a rider's control during horseback riding. I usually don't care if commenters mess up, but publishing an article with such an error is an editorial oversight. For goodness' sake, if you can't use English correctly, get an editor who can.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 5:36AM pcgneurotic said

Have to agree on this one, although to be fair it is a common mistake, like mixing up 'then' and 'than' (although that's far, far more common, annoyingly).

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 12:03PM Averice said

When he said "clipping them off entirely" for some reason I thought he meant permanently. So I had to click the link and see if all those people weren't going to be allowed to even buy them if they wanted to. Yeah, not the case : (

I'll edit you! Could just be a typo instead of a misunderstanding related to the meaning of the word. Reminds me of my old StarOffice program or w/e it was called that had auto complete on words commonly used within the document. It was a nice little novelty.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 9:21PM Scuffles said

Firstly ROFL, I find it shamelessly entertaining that something gave (even if only shortly) an advantage to non CS users over CS users.

We can't have people in game who aren't giving us money have an unfair advantage =P

I would personally like to know what this "exploit" was, if the wiz101 players seriously figured out how to hack the gibson..... or if it was just someone was smarter than the game developers and used logic. Say something to the effect of hey they set up a system that lets you legitimately buy CS points with in game currency ..... followed by "ZOMG why isn't we getting moneyz fur our wingz"

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 11:53PM Ripper McGee said

"hack the gibson...." Love it!

~Ripper

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 9:48PM Mallot said

What exactly was the exploit (assuming the hole has been patched)? I'd love to know to make sure something similar doesn't happen with one of our games.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 10:47PM (Unverified) said

An item roll-back after a shop glitch? A slow news day, I take it.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 11:11PM (Unverified) said

Thats not taking a hard stance on cheating at all. It doesn't sound like an unfair advantage for non cash shop users either. The developers didn't like that cash store users didn't have an unfair advantage over people that don't give them money.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 10:44AM (Unverified) said

It isn't always about an "unfair advantage." Understand that in some games, especially games with a younger audience, fashion can be a much more powerful force than combat ability.

Laugh if you want, but fashion makes A LOT of money. :)

Imagine...why would they want to stop people from using in game gold to buy the wings?

If you had an item that you promised to only one section of your player-base (those with cash-shop money), and they responded by BUYING the product (along with the exclusive feel of the product) and then a glitch allowed that same exclusive item to be had for anyone, would you want to fix it? Of course. Raiders know the "exclusive" feel of their items and achievements...what would happen if we sold THEIR items?

Also, the cash-shop users might have had plenty of in-game gold, but instead spent real life money on the item (because it was not designed to be paid for with in-game gold) ,only later to find out that in-game gold was being used to buy the product!

This has nothing to do with "in-game advantage." Like I said, not everyone cares about "out-performing" someone else. I would argue, in fact, that most players do not.

Now, out "looking" someone, THAT'S a different story! :)

Beau

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 12:22AM (Unverified) said

The "exploit" was a glitch that allowed players to buy the wings using in game gold instead of cash-shop money. My wife does a very successful podcast for the game (ravenwoodradio.com) and someone on her Twitter even talked about feeling "guilty" for using the exploit.

There is a definite reason to not allow those exploits uses to go "unpunished", especially in that game. Children will take every advantage they can, and hacking/exploiting is pretty darn common in "kid's" games. Note that there are other reasons why they would want to shut down the exploit, that are far beyond corporate greed.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 7:15AM (Unverified) said

Someone who cheats is called a cheat. Not a cheater!

Posted: Mar 3rd 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

While I do agree that established rules should be followed, I must say I am getting a bit fatigued over the endless hype about Wiz 101. In the words of the famous Bill Moyers, "in the interest of disclosure, I have a paid account for my child and I play too, but for a game that advertises its kid friendly set up, I think its time someone took them to task for being more than a little greedy.

To wit: The relatively recent practice of cool wings, dragons and other mounts that cost a great deal of money, and I mean real money.Most MMORPGS are content to make do with their subscription fees, but Wiz 101 is milking the who pay for these accounts for all we are worth.

The items such as mounts that are only available through purchase with crowns which cost real money and the practice of offering the homes, mounts and equipment for sale for in game gold but charging such a huge amount of in game gold that in practicality no one would ever get one that way lead kids to begging their parents for lots of money to buy each spiffy new item. Want a mount? It will cost at least 20 dollars and the hones as well. One mount, one house and you have just spent 40 real dollars.

As much fun as this game is I have to protest this practice - there are some other problems with this game but I will limit my comments to the inordinate amount of money its costing us parents thanks to the game designers greed.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014