Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 10:24AM Thac0 said

I just re-subbed yesterday and the game is great. I'm back and having fun. I had a good group with another few folks not 5 minutes after i logged in and looked at all my skills. Not only that but one of the other guys just resubscribed as well, that in my mind makes it look like AoC is doing rather well. This is at lvl 50 mind you so not all players are capped at end game being bored.

The new X-pac looks absolutely amazing, its a sure buy for me. If only they would add player housing, this would be a new favorite mmo of all time for me.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 3:57PM ZoneOuT said

hmm I might just have to resub and check it out the xpack does look interesting....

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 10:49AM Stormwaltz said

...is that the voice of Tali (Liz Sroka) from Mass Effect?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 11:58AM archipelagos said

It's really interesting to see how Age of Conan has done since it's release, especially in contrast to WAR. Both started out in very similar circumstances: decent initial sales that eventually led to sharp drops in subscription numbers. AoC seems to have turned everything around whereas WAR continues to struggle; a good lesson to be learned for the industry from both cases.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 12:53PM Rayko said

That's because AoC has always been a good game at it's core with a refreshing setting; just needed some spit and polish. Warhammer on the other hand is fundamentaly flawed and souless. IMO it is not fixable.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 1:51PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I feel completely opposite.

AOC is what you get when u reverse engineer an mmo.
When u look at the top 20 complaints of wow players and former wow players and make ur mmo so suit that market. Flawed and Soulless.

War on the other hand, has survived quite a while in the shadow of the giant, and more and more ppl are subbing up from what it seems like. On my server at least.
they are constantly tweaking it, and there are so many fun times in war right now.
Even the pic on this article makes me thing about heading down into Marsh of Madness for a t2 keep seige.

My biggest war gripe now is that its not "always on" its very good during peak hrs. but if you cant get on between 7p and 1p (EST at least) you might as well just go play COD6

The new Scenario adjustments might change that though.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 7:23PM (Unverified) said

I resubbed too yesterday. I was gonna wait for the x-pac but i said what the hell and i'm glad i did. Similiar to THAC0 i found a group for my group quests in conall's valley just after i finished remembering my skills (that's level 30~ ) and hubs, chat etc. are far from being deserted, infact they are pretty lively. I'm having much fun with the game now and will surely buy the x-pac. Good job Funcom (now give us TSW please.fast.)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 7:27PM Sunaris said

Rayko makes a very good point, down deep AoC was/is a good game. It was the unpolished-ness at the launch that soured a lot of people. WAR on the other hand has only one thing to do, pvp, which is great....when people are online. Mythic tried to dumb things down way to much, everyone wanted a DAOC2, but got a watered down version of wow. They should have stuck to the daoc model of keeps and towers instead of trying to dumb it down for the wow crowd. oh well, /rant. I've actually been thinking of giving AoC another go, looks like they have come along way.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 7:38PM (Unverified) said

Warhammer Online wasn't meant to have keeps originally. The entire BETA was shut down for a few months so they could completely revamp open field RvR because people wanted it to be more like DAOC. Please, if you're going to spew misinformation at least warn people you don't know what your talking about.

On the other hand, I've happily been playing Age of Conan since I stopped playing Warhammer Online. Missed the bad it seems, but I hear about some horrible things every now and then. All in all it seems that Funcom has got a bit better at listening to player concerns and doing something about it. The recent removal of stamina pots from casters, while controversial, has definitely helped make melee pvp feel a bit more balanced.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 8:01PM Sunaris said

are you talking to me? i didn't spew any misinformation, they used a dumbed down keep system compared to daoc. the doorhumping system warhammer uses is VERY dumbed down compared to DAOC's. Siege weaponry doesn't break down walls, etc. I'm not sure you read my post correctly if you are aiming at me. People did say they wanted it more like daoc in beta, my guildmates and myself were part of that group. We wanted actual keep fights like in daoc, not just break down the door get your loot then off to the next zone before any defenders show up.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 8:10PM (Unverified) said

I was aiming at you because the game wasn't originally designed for keeps. Mythic made a late change to the game, the engine couldn't support it, and the aspects of the actual sieges weren't fleshed out well.

If the game had launched without the changes to those aspects of gameplay, who knows what might have happened. Anywho, I was just a little frustrated sorry for the assault.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 8:14PM Sunaris said

No worries mate, i was just a little confused :)

What servers are good for a mix of pve and pvp in AoC now?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 8:41PM (Unverified) said

Most people would suggest Wiccana for those who aren't ready to deal with a decent amount of ganking. If you can deal with it and even want to kill some people Cimmeria is good, the RP-PvP tag turns a lot of people off but the role playing isn't super heavy and it's got a lot of nice people. Tyranny on the other hand is like the evil stepchild by most accounts, but some people enjoy it there.

Posted: Feb 26th 2010 2:19AM (Unverified) said

Looks pretty good, might have to re sub and see how things are. I really miss playing my 70 ranger, sadly they auto merged him and all my toons to Tyranny.