Posted: Feb 19th 2010 12:50PM (Unverified) said

Do you necessarily have to be an "Expert" as much as perhaps an individual who wishes to explore the game at a deeper level? I only ask because I play Star Trek Online, as well as Fallen Earth, but just started the latter, and haven't' tried to rush past content in the former((Although, I do have a lifetime subscription so I’m in for the long haul). I do think over time I would evolve to the point of guru so to speak, but at this point I can only see the games from the eyes of a beginner.

Either way expect and application from me, I have dreamed about this for quite some time now =D

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 1:04PM (Unverified) said

Well, darn. This is precisely the kind of work I'm suited for, and unfortunately in need of, but none of those game titles are under my belt. I'll just have to wait and see if others titles that I'm more versed in come up in the future.

Good luck to everyone applying this round! :)

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 1:21PM (Unverified) said

I love some of the Guild Wars pictures you folks come up for topic headers! I can just imagine someone that has never played GW seeing that guy in purple underwear and thinking, "What in the world kind of game..."

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

If I wasn't already working, a full-time graduate student, and running two blogs, I would love to work here.

And I love you all for pointing out it's not "MMO's." Seriously. /hugs

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:14PM Joshua Przygocki said

Not thinking of applying as I'm not yet an adult, but I would assume a major in English would look nice on an application for any blog right?

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 10:44PM (Unverified) said

what about farmville?

kidding!

but really, what about farmville?

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 7:51PM JuliusSeizure said

I wonder if I can turn my relative newbness and inexperience with Fallen Earth into a positive? I'm sure Shawn can vouch for my fast learning and thorough gaming process, which makes for a fantastic reference. ;)

Of course, the point is moot if I can't get online on my gaming computer fairly soon.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 3:06AM Vagrant Zero said

I have a question that wasn't covered by the article/FAQ.

What if you're a paid blogger for another website? In my case I write articles for alltern8.com, mostly comic (books) related pieces but I do occasionally dabble in MMO pieces as well.

Now, I of course realize that all content that would be written for Massively would have to be original and exclusively hosted (no cross-pollination) and I'm fine with that, that's not my question.

My question is does Massively employ any kind of non-compete clause in it's contract? In other words if lets just say for the sake or argument I were to be selected as the STO Columnist would I be forced into leaving my position at alltern8?

Thanks. - Adam

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 7:31AM (Unverified) said

In a situation like this, we're only concerned about copy-pasting news from your other paying gig and writing it here. That would be a huge no-no.

Other than that, we have many people on staff who get paid to write at other sites on other topics (besides MMO news or their particular column topic).

So if you write the STO column here, you can't write an STO fansite using the same information, press contacts, etc.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 6:02AM FrostPaw said

When I see these ads I consider applying, but then I see the "minimum 50posts a month" expectation and I question if this site is really shooting for quality or simply quantity.

I appreciate that if you are paying your posters then you expect to see a standard of activity that warrants the cost, however this particular news article for example is almost at the bottom of page 2 now and I check the site daily meaning within 24hours you've had 2 pages worth of articles...sometimes I think the intresting posts get buried under a need to fill quota.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 7:31AM (Unverified) said

50 posts a month is roughly 1.5 a day. Each news post is around 100-200 words and shouldn't take more than an hour to write at the most. If a person can't spend less than 2 hours a day writing for us, then they don't need to get paid to write.

Also, this call-out is for columnists, which is a 1-post-a-week commitment.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:57AM FrostPaw said

You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying, it wasn't the suggestion that people shouldn't spend time writing for you. Its that it seems you make your writers obsessed with filling a quota and sometimes it appears they really don't have anything to say they just need to say something because they want to get paid.

Dosn't really seem the best way to get meaningfull articles to me but since I don't have some proven alternative I'll just stay in my cynical bubble and stop talking. ;-)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 11:34PM (Unverified) said

No, I understand. The term 'quota' is usually daunting, when it comes to something like this, but it's strictly so that we know your level of commitment to the site and the brand.

My example of the minimal time involvement needed for 50 posts a month is just to say that we're paid writers, so it's a job. At any job, you're required a certain commitment, whether it's hours or a certain quota. We just need to know that you won't write a post or two every week and then flake out for a month. That's all :)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 11:29PM Vagrant Zero said

Your way is one way to look at it. The better way to look at it is thus:

Massively is a massive site, it caters to a wide variety of games and the only way to ensure that the needs of all are met is to have a wide variety of content.

Or to shorten the matter, "Quantity has a quality all of its own." - Joseph Stalin

Personally, I think you need to step back, outside of yourself, and realize that which you consider an "interesting post" might be completely irrelevant to somebody else and vice versa.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 2:19AM (Unverified) said

I said good day sir!

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 2:02AM UnSub said

My query is: do I have to have my real name used as a blogger for Massively.com? I'm happy to write the column under my nic (that I use everywhere) but I don't want to be putting my real name to it for reasons of privacy.

Is that a deal breaker? Or does every blog have to be placed under 'by Gaylord Bloodlebummer'* to appear on Massively.com?

*funnily enough, not my name. :-)

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 12:50AM Seraphina Brennan said

Another good question.

For the most part -- no. Like any journalist, your real name will be attached to our bylines. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but those exceptions are pretty rare.

Currently, only two people break the rule. Tateru Nino uses her Second Life name as she's more recognized under that name and her original contract with us was for the old blog, Second Life Insider. When she came to Massively, she was grandfathered in under the old rule of using her Second Life name.

The other person who breaks the name rule is myself. Seraphina isn't my legal name (yet) but due to things like perceived gender and because I'm working on having my name legally changed, it's been changed here on the site.

Beyond us, everyone else is using their name. While we understand privacy concerns and all of that, it's just part of the job.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 11:58AM (Unverified) said

Best of luck to all the applicants out there.

Posted: Feb 24th 2010 11:07PM (Unverified) said

I would really like to write a column about the what we want from the next generation of MMOs. Do you have time to see material like you requested for these games for something like that? I think I could get readers really excited and involved in such a continuing column and I have the time and skill to do it. I would love to show you guys 10 potential subjects and write up a potential article.

Posted: Feb 25th 2010 6:49PM Saylah said

I'd love to do Runes of Magic but I submitted last time and didn't hear anything. I mentioned ROM in particular but my particular style might not be appropriate, as it's more personal journey than news. One post per week for ROM would be easy. People are still pinging my very old ROM posts which boggles my mind.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories