Posted: Feb 19th 2010 8:00PM (Unverified) said

Free Realms players only got 250 station cash in that promotion, the new mounts start at 450 I think, so no we didn't get enough to get one for free. Not enough FR people wanting to sign up for Twitter or Facebook sadly. Not that I blame them. Twitter is bad enough, especially when companies like NCSoft start using them instead of their own websites for any news or updates (I'm looking at you Aion CMs, lame lame lame). The FR team actually uses Twitter smartly, for occasional neat things, but not as a replacement for the official website/forums.

Still, 250 free SC is nice no matter what.

Back on topic, the new mounts are a nice addition, along with all the other February additions, plus the stuff from the previous updates the last few months. They still need to fix a memory leak bug they introduced with the Valentines update, but overall the FR team is doing a great job. Amazing how they can keep turning out new stuff almost monthly, when supposedly AAA companies can't even do something as simple as put out a server transfer option, 5 months after they promised. *cough Aion cough* Or add any content or make any needed changes to maintain their player base. Wait, NCSoft is great at adding overpriced cash shop features, thank you SO much.

Nice to see SOE actually supporting their games these days, where other companies can't be bothered (NCSoft / ArenaNet). Yeah, I'm a bit pissed off at the Aion and Guild Wars people these days. :D

Kudos Free Realms devs!!!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 8:28PM Krystalle Voecks said

Just to explain that a bit -- if you had active accounts in all three games (EQ, EQ2, FR) your Station Cash from ConnecDING was more than enough to cover the cost of a ride for Free Realms. If you just had a Free Realms account, then only part would be covered, as you mentioned.

Hope that makes a bit more sense!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 9:04PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the clarification Krystalle, if someone was active in all three games that would be a nice amount of free station cash!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 10:44PM (Unverified) said

I bought dragons for two of my characters. Very nicely done.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 10:54PM Dandmcd said

I really need to get back into this game, the racing update was nice, but the requirement to buy the best car from the cash shop to be able to fully level up was very harsh and turned me off a little. I don't mind buying from a cash shop once in awhile, but I hate being forced to to complete content without utter frustration and having to spend real dollars.

SOE does have the best cash shop of any game out there in "Free" Realms, however, other free to pay MMO's need to look hard at Free Realms to see a game that can be successful with a good cash shop. Allod's is a perfect example of a game that has a poorly implemented cash shop and is already turning customers away by the dozens.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 10:55PM Dandmcd said

Let me also add I was a member that paid the $5 a month, so I expected I would not be forced to raid the cash shop to get the best equipment.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 11:23PM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure even a fully outfitted cash shop car would help with the racing or demolition derby mini-games. I gave up on them when the AI cars would blow past me while I was on turbo and they weren't, while the AI cars could instantly kill your car with a glancing hit in the derby, yet it takes 4 or 5 hits to take them out. While several people on the forums say they never had any problems with either, none of my friends could get very far into either quest line and just gave up, even with all the good cash shop stuff on their cars! Hopefully the FR devs will be looking at those games at some point and make some changes. They really just need some minor stats tweaking and they'd probably be fine.

FR recently made the combat overly easy (it wasn't that hard to start with), but if the new Heartbreakers and Stone Heart Hideaway combat instances (both of which I really enjoy) are anything to go by, and the comments that they are looking at making combat a bit harder for higher level characters (a good thing), I see good things ahead for this game. I have no problems with a cash shop that just sells things like outfits, pets and so forth. Other than my budget won't let me buy much of anything. So many available pets, so little station cash.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2010 8:35AM (Unverified) said

You explanation is excellent and clear. I was impressed with this post and am looking forward to reading more from you ....

Bookmarked this.. ;)Thanks for sharing.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014