Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:34PM Tizmah said

$20 for 6 extra slots? @.@ Must be a mistake surely...but I've never played a game with a cash shop so I don't know what the common price is. But for just 6 extra slots I wouldn't pay above 50 cents... >.>

Why not use that $20 to pre-order FFXIV ^_^

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:37PM Thac0 said

when is FFXIV coming out? They are taking pre-orders? Does it come with a Beta invite?

The prices are insane for Allods. I genuinely think its a good game but 20 bucks for a bag is WAY too much i would also pay no more than 50 cents.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:47PM Tizmah said

Oh, Sorry THACO. I meant just save the $20 to preorder it. :)

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:36PM (Unverified) said

I was looking forward to the cash shop in Allods but there is no way in heck I will spend $20 for a bag. I will just spend my F2P money on RoM I guess.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:39PM Barinthos said

I wouldn't pay anything over $4 for 6 extra slots, and even that's cutting it high.

$20? That's ridiculous. $20 for 20 extra slots? Sure. But not 6.

If the prices aren't reduced by a large margin I won't bother with the game. I was looking forward to it but with prices like that I'll be better off spending $15 for LoTRO or WoW or something else and get all the items they're charging for included.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2010 5:28PM postman said

yeah, you know this is why i dont play these games. for $10 i can play 2 mmos for a month, get bags, kill people, rage quit and come back and still get all the stuff i need to play. I know this style of subscription works for some people, but even at an average salary for where i live I would never play a game where the size of you bank, or the stats of your character are based on the size of your checkbook. I would rather get my face torn off by someone who has more free time than me.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:41PM dudes said

A game that could put players off F2P for life. If that was the aim, it is being quickly achieved.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:41PM Bezza said

You didn't really think 'free' meant 'free' did you?

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:36PM Its Utakata stupid said

Well it did claim at one time it was completely free. I guess they meant that for beta. :)

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:44PM Bigwig said

RoM has some pretty ridiculous costs involved, but 20 bucks for 6 inventory slots is ridiculous.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:00PM MtthwRddl said

Yeah but all of RoM's items have a time limit on them, including bag space "rental".

I'm not saying that this is a good deal or fair in any way, but I'd rather pay $5 for a permanent item than $2 for a temporary item. I'm looking at you Wonderking!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 7:42PM (Unverified) said

its rickydiculous!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:45PM Pingles said

Allods has been my first attempt to make an F2P my MMO of choice.

If these prices stay I'll quickly return to a monthly-fee game.

That being said, these prices started TODAY. It's kind of nuts to be getting so freaked out about it. Give it some time and see what the company does.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:50PM Thac0 said

They are suddenly making Cryptic look like they are charitable!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:51PM Wensbane said

Is anyone actually surprised? We should all know how the Gala Group operates, by now.

I always do my best to avoid their gaming portal (gPotato) and any games that are a part of it. Most of them are terrible money sinks. Sadly, Allods Online is one of those games.

It really is a shame, though. Astrum Nival deserved more, because the game really is (was?) a blast.

Oh well... I'll always have the memories from CB, I suppose. NEXT!

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:58PM Vladimyr said

Reasonable prices in the Russian version? What, were they like "20 dollars, 20 rubles, same thing" or something?

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

which is funny because Google converted 20 Rubles to about 66 cents. I would pay that for a bag.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

Not surprising. With all the buzz and so many players online it makes sense they would at least give it a shot.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:02PM Cinnamoon said

That's pretty silly. The only way to get these companies to get the memo that we don't mind paying a little, but we do mind being treated like brainless cash cows, is to pay them nothing at all, and stop playing.

This particular fiasco reminds me of the outrageous, illogical sum NCSoft expects for extra vault tabs in Guild Wars ($10 for a single 20-slot tab, meanwhile an entire new character slot -- with 50+ normal inventory slots, plus whatever you can stuff on the heroes -- is also $10!) I understand the marketing strategy behind marking some things too high to make the cheaper things seem more reasonable, but I'm tired of being treated like I'm stupid.

Posted: Feb 19th 2010 4:05PM Valentina said

I think it has to be a mistake...Where the hell is this item shop, I can't see it anywhere!

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014