Posted: Feb 20th 2010 5:08AM Seffrid said

I think that what those who criticise the adverse reaction to the cash shop prices are failing to understand is that by this stage of a new game people are keen to take note of a developer's attitude towards both the game and more importantly the community. You don't just play a new game, you become wedded to it through the sense of community that a MMO creates, and the developer is a key part of that relationship. That is why a developer who tramples over the community in open beta is widely rejected as is his game - David Bowman and Horizons is one pertinent example, Ken Karl and AC2 is another.

So people are looking at this issue not just from the point of view of how much it's going to cost them to play the game, not just from the point of what feedback they should offer in their beta test reports, but from the additional point of view of what the issue and the way it is handled tells them about the developer's attitude in this game.

A decent community manager would have had this issue defused the moment it appeared on the forums, even allowing for the fact that a competent developer wouldn't have let it arise in the first place. This is another in a long line of examples of features that have appeared in the Western version of the game in a totally different way to how they appear in the live Russion version and it makes no sense.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 5:18AM NeoWolfen said

Official Response.. more like a royal FOB off..

this is why Id sooner pay a subscription than play FtP games because they say "you can play the entire game without usiong the item shops" but they fail to mention it is hugely impractical and hindering to do so, t such an extent that anyone seriously playing the game will get so frustrated with the hinderance of not purchasing more inveotry space or other cruicial items.upgrades that they are inevitably forced to use the item shops.

For all thier sympathies.. over peoples concerns about price, you'll note they did diddely squat to rectify it by lowering it.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 5:47AM Zensun said

In other words, the prices AREN'T a mistake, we didn't accidentally add a '0' to the end, and of course we'll monitor whether people buy things and adjust accordingly.

LOL@Keen. Ragequit, tear up your $50 gamecard, or (more likely) rationalise this response as somehow fitting in with your 'they better say it's a mistake' so that you can continue to pay and instead ragequit a couple weeks later for some other silly reason.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 6:09AM Bezza said

• 1 heart
I admit I have zero interest in this game, yet I find everyones dismay over it really nieve. It isn't like this is guild wars or some other game where u buy the game up front and then have no subscription. These guys are out to make a profit, of course the are going to charge u more for microtransactions than other bought or subscription based mmo's. They are not a charity. Really if u don't like it let the developers know by not playing it. It hasn't cost u anything, except to download it. So just walk away or come to terms with the limitations of the free product.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 6:11AM dudes said

Rip off nickel and dime, cash cow.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 7:30AM Surelle said

Quite frankly, people compare Allods to WoW but it is really only a poor man's WoW to begin with-- rather stripped and lacking in content, polish and extras compared to its pay-to-play counterpart. It's okay as an MMORPG and I'm having fun with it because it's something different, but the thought of spending even *more* money than I do on better pay-to-plays like WoW, Eve Online, LoTRO and EQ2 is absurd.

For now, the FoD death debuff isn't a major concern to me because it comes off quickly at low levels and I'm not sure I'll still be around for the end game anyway. I also have more than one computer at my disposal at home so I rolled a second account and put a priest on it whom I am going to park next to wherever I'm fighting with my main for rezzes. Currently, if your char is rezzed by another player you don't get the Fear of Death debuff.

This second account is also going to house some pack mules for storage.

At this point, I wouldn't bother with the cash shop at all if only because the outrageous prices are a prejudiced slap in the face to North Americans (it is said that Russia only pays $2.00 for those six bag slots compared to our $20.00), never mind that things like those few extra bag slots have little overall impact on the game compared to toughing it out without them. You're toughing it out storage-wise either way. ;)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 7:47AM dudes said

"Yah thanks for the attention. Look out for more great deals coming to the cash shop." is about all they are saying.

Death to F2P nickel and dime ripoffs! And P2P nickel and dime ripoffs while I'm at it. (yes, you Cryptic)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:26AM Eamil said

Nickel and dime? I just looked at their cash shop, the only things that cost less than $10 aside from potions (which are 5 for $2.50) are 10-cent keys to open locked treasure chests, a $1 unlocked treasure chest, and a small bag of crystal chips (no idea what these are for, but whatever).

When the cost of the average item is fairly close to the average P2P MMO's monthly fee, that's not nickel-and-diming. =P

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 11:02AM dudes said

an expression rather than a numerical weight.

Nickel and dime stores = nickel and dime whores.

"Traditionally used as part of the larger phrase "To be nickled and dimed to death", referring to the undesired price of upkeep for a certain item. More fundamentally, it refers simply to seemingly hidden ongoing expenses which, over time, add up to a large expense."

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 8:53AM Gaugamela said

Greedy frakin bastards. Charging so much for a item in the cash shop. This is the reason why free to play MMOs in the Western market have such a bad reputation. And when a game with such a high quality arrives and has the potential to break those ideas that most MMO players have about f2p's, gPotato completely destroys the high expectations that everyone had about it. They just alienated a huge chunk of potential paying costumers willing to spend money in the game.

I am still waiting for the pricing on the European version but i don’t have much hope. I am a player willing to spend 15 to 20 dollars on an MMO per month and Allods was my choice. I even skipped the Closed Beta because i wanted to enjoy the game as new when it came out. Now i will again have to wait for other game.

And to the people attacking the people outraged by these prices here’s the deal: we WANT to spend money in the game, we WANT the game to be succesful. Heck, the CS prices in Closed Beta were reasonable and people were planning their expenses around those prices.

This just proves that the Free to Play market is just one where people eventually HAVE to spend more money than in a subscription MMO to be competitive. This just shows that this model is rubbish. Yes it allows a lot of players to play for free, but they do so handicaped. I don’t like handicaps so i will give up Allods and go back to subscription based games. Time to do the free trial for Fallen Earth.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 8:17AM pcgneurotic said

• 1 heart
Screw the item shop anyway, Allods is a terrific title in its own right. So the FoD thing is going to hurt at higher levels, but meh, it's still nowhere near as painful as it was back in the EQ and UO day. People are too spoiled these days - they cry if they perceive the 'death penalty' in an MMOG is too easy-going, and they cry if they think it's too harsh. Meh.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:06AM (Unverified) said

2 miles uphill in the snow huh, Neurotic?
You've got to be kidding. We're "too spoiled"?

If you honestly believe that $20 (ie more than a month's worth of P2P time) is worth some inventory space, and that having to buy (RMT) or grind your way out of a death penalty equates to great value and is 'worthwhile and fun', then be my guest.

In my opinion, yours is hilarious.
I can't tell if you're trying to be cool, or if you're actually the bitter old guy from the amusement park in Scooby Doo.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:15AM pcgneurotic said

The death system thing was a separate point, and I stand by that. I think what people don't like about this is the fact that it puts the breaks on Pepsi-fuelled power levelling and the race-to-the-cap play style. Can you imagine today's WoW-suckled teens having to get to grips with EQ1's corpse runs? There'd be rioting in the streets.

Anyway, thanks for the Scooby Doo thing, that's actually pretty cool! :-)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:33AM Gaugamela said

[quote]Hey Amana. No, I don't think $20 is acceptable for a few bag spaces, but the FoD system is not the Great Evil people are saying it is. As with any F2P cash shop, take it or leave it, but don't damn the whole game because of it - that was my original point.

Anyway, thanks for the Scooby Doo thing, that's actually pretty cool! :-) [/quote]

Neurotic, the FoD in and on itself isn't very unreasonable even if it is harsh. This game is way less forgiving than WoW or other recent MMOs and the FoD is an example of that.
The problem is that it basically requires you to spend money in the cash shop to get Perfumes so that it isn't applied. Even then, i don't see that as a bad thing. It's a way of differentiating the paying players from the non-paying players (but these ones still have a chance of getting Perfumes in-game).

What riles me up is that 20 Perfumes (equivalent to 10 hours of gameplay) cost you 13.50$!!! Screw the bags, i can live with a small bag. But 13.50$ for 10 hours of gameplay??

Let me remind you that the endgame of Allods is composed of a lot of PvP, raiding and consequently of a lot of deaths. You will HAVE to be buffed at one point or another.

The price of the perfumes should be 5 to 10 times smaller than what they put in the cash shop. Why did they jack up the prices so much from Closed Beta to Open Beta??
Why not make small prices on a variety of items so that people aren't afraid of spending money in the AH?

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

@ Neurotic:

"Growwf rrrowwwser?"

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

(..best Scooby voice I can muster)

;)

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 10:34AM pcgneurotic said

Wanna Scooby snack Ama? hee hee :D

Aye Pedro, by end-game the perfume pain will be more apparent, but for the most part there's no requirement or compulsion to buy them. Personaly I'm thinking they'll have revised something - prices, mechanics, whatever - after a few months when enough people get there. Oh well, we shall see.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 11:01AM Gaugamela said

Neurotic: It will be compulsory to buy perfumes, or else how will you play in endgame?

And i think most people would prefer to see how they'll revise things in endgame playing and spending money in stuff on the CS at reasonable prices than by having to endure frustration in the game due to limitations to direct people torwards the cash shop.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 12:34PM pcgneurotic said

"It will be compulsory to buy perfumes, or else how will you play in endgame?"

Very, very carefully. ;)

Anyway, I think I read somewhere that the perfumes would be drops in-game too. And if not, hopefully someone over there will see sense and make it so.

Posted: Feb 20th 2010 8:43AM Sephirah said

When in the last months I read so good comments about the game, I was wondering "Well, what could they botch to make the game a failure like AoC, WAR, Aion, CO, STO...?".
Well, now I know.