Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

I remember when NCsoft and Sony announced a partnership... exclusive games for the PlayStation 3. I wondered if Guild Wars was heading to the PS3. I even remember reading an article with Jeff Strain, speaking highly of the system.

Years later... still nothing!

Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast was awesome. That was almost a decade ago. The whole excuse, "but consoles aren't powerful enough" is just garbage. Guild Wars isn't much different from Phantasy Star Online. A PS3, little keyboard attachment for the controller, and Guild Wars can move to the big screen TV.

Although... I suppose I could just hook my PC up to the TV and pretend it's a console :)

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 12:49PM mode7overworld said

I've said it a billion times and I'll say at again - PSO provided a fantastic foundation for console developers to expand on, and it's a shame that they haven't. How can there not be a market for a combo-based action RPG in a massive, persistent world? I've been wanting one forever, and with the current trend of singleplayer action games featuring large open worlds and character customization, it's frustrating to not have this gameplay expanded on and placed in a multiplayer setting.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:28AM Bongo123 said

I would love to sit on my comfy sofa infront of my big telly and play an mmo on it using a xbox360 joypad coupled with headset & keyboard attachement and depending on the game would happily pay the extra over an above live subscription

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:28AM (Unverified) said

I have been waiting for one for the PS3 for 2 years. There are several in the works but if none are shown in almost ready state at E3 this year then my hope may be lost.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:28AM Minofan said

I'll see your assumed disinterest and raise you a pessimistic...

> Longer development, naturally.

> Slower/fewer updates; slower development & increased testing, necessity of "no platfrom left behind" approach to MMOs (cannot have people playing different versions on same servers).

> Fewer revenue models; money up front & microtransactions are an absolute given in current console environment.

> Only bad things can follow from ensuring that an MMO can be played with 10 buttons.

I cannot think of a single positive - from the perspective of a PC MMO player - in hearing that a game is heading to consoles.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:28AM (Unverified) said

No. My consoles are located right next to my pc and have a fraction of the processing power... why would I?

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:34AM (Unverified) said

It's not just about you

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 1:25PM CCon99 said

In this case it is just about them. The article asks if YOU the reader are still interested in console MMO's. They gave their answer. Just because it's not the answer you wanted to read, you shouldn't get bent out of shape about it. If you have a different opinion, make your own comment on why you are still interested in a console MMO. It's not just about you.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:28AM Minofan said

I should have mentioned that console-only MMOs are a fine idea, it's the notion of PC/MMOs that I loathe.

An MMO designed solely for one specific console would seem to have massive development advantages from the static hardware spec, and I'd be optimistic that the lovely Guild Wars business model would be a perfect fit for such a project too.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:30AM Minofan said

"PC/console MMOs" I meant.

This concludes my post-travaganza. ^_^

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:46AM (Unverified) said

I still wish AOC would hit the 360. I want more console MMOs. The first one I played was EQOA and it was a really great little game. I miss it. I also played FFXI on the 360 and thought it was fun too.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 8:52AM (Unverified) said

Too many devs are inspired by WoW too much. Or at least in diku in general. That doesn't translate very well to console controls, the game should find some new ground, using platform strengths, rather than an inferior port. Perhaps, a more dynamic combat, where you invoke special moves by fighting-game style combos, rather than clicking an ability from a two dozen on a hot-bar. Or a shooter hybrid, or I don't know...

Also, there are no massive hit console MMO for the moment, and requiring so much funds to develop one, it's not a surprise that publishers aren't eager to bet dozen of millions creating one, sticking instead to the familiar route. Especially after the troubled 2008 that disrupted development cycles.

It only takes a very commercial successfully game to set the example and lead the title.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:03AM (Unverified) said

MMOs are a PC thing, leave them here. They're pretty much the only thing we have exclusively, considering nearly all game developers are slowly moving towards console-only.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:09AM Jenks said

What hapened to Champions for 360, anyway? I heard it was submitted to MS for approval months ago.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:40AM (Unverified) said

I'm already playing RUnes of Magic on my PC and 42in flat panel...why would I want to play it on the PS3?

hehe

Dapanther

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 10:07AM (Unverified) said

Whenever a Real MMO comes to console and they handle the 13 y/o problem and the chat problems, ill be playing that full time.

And I will once again pity all of the ps3 owners.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:13AM Lateris said

Actually a lot of studios are starting to feel that PC gamers are getting the shaft and want to make more PC games. A solution to this is to make a console that is as powerful as a PC. Make it so the user can upgrade it for newer games. Make it so console and PC games can be played on it. Hmmmm I bet apple has one in design.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 10:20AM Kemikalkadet said

"A solution to this is to make a console that is as powerful as a PC. Make it so the user can upgrade it for newer games."

So.. a PC then?

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:15AM (Unverified) said

You won't see any console MMOs until the next generation (i.e. PS4, Xbox 3). At the current rate of evolution (currently we're in the seventh console generation, approaching the 8th) we should see the next consoles arriving some time in 2012-2013. By that time, 3DTV will have had some time to develop and spread, 3D technology for the silver-screen will continue to evolve, and the technologies will be in place for larger gaming networks accessible via the consoles (i.e. PSN, XBox Live/Windows Live) etc.

Posted: Feb 18th 2010 9:21AM (Unverified) said

Addendum: Oh, and don't forget Microsoft and the Project Natal interface that we can expect to be a part of the 8th generation Xbox console (whatever they end up calling it).